Author Topic: Balance missing because of old wallet file  (Read 18091 times)

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
That's great!!!

I'll report whether the 60k discrepancy I'm seeing goes away. Vikram if you like I can let you log in to my machine via teamviewer to investigate.

38PTSWarrior

Thanks vikram, when I meet you I want to buy you a beer :)

Offline vikram

I've reproduced the issue and found a stupid bug that prevented wallet_regenerate_keys from properly regenerating your market keys: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/commit/a8b30e2ddc21534f65fe994a511a7ae40180df7b

Hopefully you should be able to reclaim your funds after the next version is released.

38PTSWarrior

Now I understand! Whatever will happen, I am happy that I am here, still have some funds and that I can relax now.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
You funds are NOT lost! the necessary private key (the wallet private key) is part of you backup .. the keys for the market transactions are derived from that private key and can ideally be recovered by wallet_regenerate_keys .. however it seems that there are some bugs that make the wallet miss the corresponding private key .. I am not a developer but as long as vikram or BM do not state otherwise I would consider the funds NOT lost .. just inaccessible due to some issue

38PTSWarrior

Ok, I made a backup of my thirtyeightptswarrior wallet. Afterwards I made market orders. Then I made a backup again. This backup got deleted. So now I only have a backup from before the market orders which means that it is not possible to recover the bitBTC and bitUSD I bought. Correct?

All market orders I made of which I do not have a backup, are somehow under 1 or 2 TxID's . It looks messed up. I am cool with the loss as long as you believe that now the funds I have are belonging to my base.

:)

E: And thank you vikram, xeroc and all others, I smoke one for you ;)

EE: I was very lucky because i still had a canceled order in the backup. I made now 2 major mistakes and lost 30% of my BTSX. Time to stop the madness and focus on work which will not ruin my bora bora fantasies.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:57:52 pm by 38PTSWarrior »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
The balance shown by wallet_account_balance reflects all the balances on the blockchain that your wallet has keys to. We need to get your missing keys back to get any missing funds. This is what wallet_regenerate_keys is supposed to do, but it is not working for some people: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/issues/712 We are tracking down the issue but unable to reproduce it yet. We are also in the process of rewriting wallet transaction scanning to be more robust, accurate and provide more information. When that is done, it might also help give clues for remembering where funds have gone even if you haven't recovered the keys yet.

All this ONLY works if you have a backup of EXACTLY that wallet which you used for your market transactions (ie. buy bitUSD)

Offline vikram

The balance shown by wallet_account_balance reflects all the balances on the blockchain that your wallet has keys to. We need to get your missing keys back to get any missing funds. This is what wallet_regenerate_keys is supposed to do, but it is not working for some people: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/issues/712 We are tracking down the issue but unable to reproduce it yet. We are also in the process of rewriting wallet transaction scanning to be more robust, accurate and provide more information. When that is done, it might also help give clues for remembering where funds have gone even if you haven't recovered the keys yet.

38PTSWarrior

-v.0.4.17
-import newest json I have
-wallet_regenerate_keys thirtyeightptswarrior 1000
-rescan
-USD and BTC missing
-send button for BTSX blue now
- when choosing amount of CNY to send to user which is higher than my balance -> not enough funds
- when choosing amount of BTSX to send to user which is higher than my balance -> minus amount shown, no red "not enough funds"
- wallet_recover_transaction ID (without ASK, only number) -> 20022 transaction_not_found: transaction not found (still have unknown)
- BTSX I sent to a user is not showing
Property name must be a string literal
:(

Is the amount of balance I see in the synced latest client the real balance I have? I need support community, this is so unlucky, thx

Edit:

-I still RPC error Json parse error: Property name must be a string literal ( but then it disappeared, I am sure it will appear again)

-wallet_get_transcation fee assert: exception 10 (I just saw this and then it disappeared again)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:38:20 pm by 38PTSWarrior »

38PTSWarrior

I always used only one wallet, thirtyeightptswarrior. I created the latest json I have on the 13th this month. Then I changed the hard drive and installed  OS and the client and imported the json file. Then I used the market to buy BTC and USD. Then I deleted the computer without making a backup (forgot to copy the files), installed Ubuntu again, the client, and then I saw that something was missing after using the latest json file I have. Is there anything I could do other than regenerating? The output after regenerating was 998.

Thanks

Edit: I forgot to say that I cannot send funds. It says:"RPC error: JSON parse error:  Property name must be a string literal
Edit: Oh no, this only happens with trying to send BTSX. When trying to send CNY the send field is blue. Noooooooo, why, why nooo
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:29:47 pm by 38PTSWarrior »

Offline vikram

Are you regenerating keys on an older backup of the same wallet? Or is it a different wallet you created from scratch? If it is an older backup of the same wallet, you should be able to regenerate the keys you need to recover everything.

38PTSWarrior

That was tough news. I lost some money but it's ok. That was an expensive lesson.. I'm still in the game though! Did the money now disappear? Who has my lost BTC and USD now? I hope that at the end it benefited the system somehow.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/issues/769#issuecomment-56597941

Yes, this is expected behavior. Do not delete your wallet! There is more private data that needs to be kept in order to claim all of your balances than just the account private keys. Primarily, you need the wallet master private key, from which you can regenerate pretty much everything if necessary (though this should be done in emergencies only). If you just create a new wallet and import your account keys, you will not get all of your balances. If you've kept your original wallet, you should have everything you need.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:41:17 am by xeroc »

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
oh man sry to hear, but as xeroc mentioned before! It's on the blockchain...
Wish you good luck to solve this issue asap

Sry honestly idk know how to help you on this ... i would
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

38PTSWarrior

Now I tried a few things.

When using the oldest wallet, it will not show any currencies I bought on the market. But I can see the STARs I got only a few days ago. There is a whole lot of the balance missing. I did the Regenerate-1000-thing, rescan. Also the BTSX and STAR I sent are not showing.

When I use the newest wallet I have, only a smaller part of my balance is missing. I can see the currencies I bought, but they show 0 balance. To be exact, BTC and USD are gone but I still have CNY and STARs.

I also regenerated and rescanned here.

E: After regenerating the keys I get a 0 as reply, does this mean everything went well?
EE: What a question,.. I need to chill. Maybe watch a movie

I know the mistake, I think. Because I installed Ubuntu fresh, I didn't see the BitShares X folder. I thought the new version doesn't have it anymore but the file was hidden. That's why I didn't delete it before reinstalling.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:21:36 pm by 38PTSWarrior »