Author Topic: Chess DAC  (Read 14614 times)

Offline Riverhead

This has been suggested in the past:

I would like to see some chess tournaments and people betting each other or even bet to another player if they wish.. :)

If I remember correctly the idea was abandoned, because people advised that you can't really have real chess tournaments because people will create bots. So in reality the bet will be who has created the better bot, or if it is a human vs. a bot if the human can beat the bot..

So although I would love to play in chess tournaments with real money, I would be very hesitant to bet real money if bots were to play the game..

couldnt you prevent bots playing (where you want a human player) - by entering captchas or something like that?

The way you cheat is you have another chess program open, like ChessMaster, and you play what your opponent plays and then input as your move what ChestMaster counters with.

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile

I would like to see some chess tournaments and people betting each other or even bet to another player if they wish.. :)

If I remember correctly the idea was abandoned, because people advised that you can't really have real chess tournaments because people will create bots. So in reality the bet will be who has created the better bot, or if it is a human vs. a bot if the human can beat the bot..

So although I would love to play in chess tournaments with real money, I would be very hesitant to bet real money if bots were to play the game..

couldnt you prevent bots playing (where you want a human player) - by entering captchas or something like that?
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile

Offline pgbit

• View Profile
Create 2 rival chess DACS, that play against each other, to model / test how decentralised entities evolve and learn to attack / defend - i.e. not just on the chessboard.

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
I would probably integrate this into a overall "games" DAC that would support several different games all at once.

1) all games / buyin /  payout would be done using BitGLD or BitSLV as the internal currency

Maybe allow players to choose what BitAsset they want to be paid in. DAC could trade whatever internal currency for desired BitAsset on open market at time of payout and give players what they want.

Diasagree - 2 points

1) It encourages the use of bitGLD and bitSLV - retrespectivly making a larger market cap and getting more users onto those assets

2) I really like "making" gamblers using gold and silver, this is a superb idea. As in it will teach them the value of money (its frequent that gamblers have a problem with value), and those are the best store of value known. Also it will discourage them from wasting it like they are used to.

Might be not a bad idea to make inputs in bitUSD only - and outputs in bitGLD / bitSLV - automaticly converted by a bot (also will add liquididty)

I would prefer to have a choice rather than being "made" to use an arbitrary BitAsset because someone else prefers it and wants to make it more attractive.
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
I would probably integrate this into a overall "games" DAC that would support several different games all at once.

1) all games / buyin /  payout would be done using BitGLD or BitSLV as the internal currency

Maybe allow players to choose what BitAsset they want to be paid in. DAC could trade whatever internal currency for desired BitAsset on open market at time of payout and give players what they want.

Diasagree - 2 points

1) It encourages the use of bitGLD and bitSLV - retrespectivly making a larger market cap and getting more users onto those assets

2) I really like "making" gamblers using gold and silver, this is a superb idea. As in it will teach them the value of money (its frequent that gamblers have a problem with value), and those are the best store of value known. Also it will discourage them from wasting it like they are used to.

Might be not a bad idea to make inputs in bitUSD only - and outputs in bitGLD / bitSLV - automaticly converted by a bot (also will add liquididty)
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile

>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline gamey

• View Profile
The target audience is gamblers who want something a bit more engaging than variations on dice.

It is far too complicated for gamblers IMO.  If betting on chess had any real demand, then we should be able to find a moderately successful website doing as much.  (And maybe you can, I have not looked)

This game will be crazy and may degenerate into something that isn't even fun to play.  I would definitely suggest that someone sit down with 4 people and play it using paper or a spreadsheet.  In fact, I might suggest someone hosts a game using available stuff on the net + google docs spreadsheet for bets.

One interesting thought is that none of the chess AI programs would work to cheat with, because of the opponents being able to move your pieces.

This basically takes regular chess and makes it far more complicated with all the cost analysis tied into having to defend your own pieces against being moved by your opponent.  I am not sure that is a positive step for most people.  Chess is already so skillful with no luck element, so it is sort of a dry thing to bet on.  Th basically makes it far more skillful than it already is.  Perhaps the DAC would need several variations to choose to play.

My 2 cents.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Riverhead

Even a market where players can select 1 v Current Bot Champion :)
Ok that might be an idea if we are in the gambling world

Actually I was thinking more a private match to test your mettle. Since the game would run locally it wouldn't take more than a single transaction fee to kick it off. However if this market is as busygin suggests it might be people may hold their bot code close to the vest.

Question: I can see bot code being extremely guarded. Would it be possible to submit your bot without revealing the source code?

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
p.s. @ BM - what about making a DAC like i said for intelectual table games, is there a need in such a thing?

Ok that might be an idea if we are in the gambling world

@busygin - but then again, if its purpose is gambling i doubt this will bring out major chess talents like kasparov )))) in any case me and you will give it a try for a few btsx if you want  ;)

If it becomes possible to win big money with it, strong chess players and algorithm experts will quickly jump on it. I'm pretty sure playing best moves will be a better strategy than sabotaging one side (since I can convince the side I'm playing for to follow my vote if I can show them my moves are good).

Its not easy to find a gold investor who also plays chess and is a gambler and is an algorithm freak (in a good way)  :) but hey, then again, i make one (more or less)

E.g., P. Wolff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Wolff

i must play this guy when we launch the DAC! Seriously though, maybe we should write him a letter to get his attention. Obviously not at this stage, but i think it might be worth something
btsx - bitsharesrussia

busygin

@busygin - but then again, if its purpose is gambling i doubt this will bring out major chess talents like kasparov )))) in any case me and you will give it a try for a few btsx if you want  ;)

If it becomes possible to win big money with it, strong chess players and algorithm experts will quickly jump on it. I'm pretty sure playing best moves will be a better strategy than sabotaging one side (since I can convince the side I'm playing for to follow my vote if I can show them my moves are good).

Its not easy to find a gold investor who also plays chess and is a gambler and is an algorithm freak (in a good way)  :) but hey, then again, i make one (more or less)

E.g., P. Wolff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Wolff

Offline Riverhead

p.s. @ BM - what about making a DAC like i said for intelectual table games, is there a need in such a thing?

I could see a DAC where you are matched against a player like other chess games and then charged the standard transaction fee per move. The sell would be that 1) other than the tx-fee it'd be free and 2) it wouldn't need distracting ads in the client to finance it.

However rather than a separate DAC it could be a game mode of DAC Chess. Like BitSharesX has markets DAC Chess could have game markets: 1:1, 1:bot, bot:bot, Crowd:Crowd.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:27:44 pm by Riverhead »

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile

btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile

2) all fees earned by the games would be paid as yield on BitGLD and BitSLV
3) Chess, Go, Checkers, Bingo, Lotto, Simulated Horse Racing, etc...

Now what is the best DAC for holding GLD and SLV?

You should have started from this  ;)

You mean best DAC as in......
btsx - bitsharesrussia

busygin