Author Topic: Automatic update  (Read 1516 times)

Offline bytemaster

Automatic updates are something we have contemplated but obviously our development resources are maxed out at the moment.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Thanks - makes sense. So that means that the automatic updates cannot at this point deliver updates to the core C++ functionality of the client?
*confirmed*

Another thing that perplexes me is that they keep taking in/out features from the trading gui. The bid/ask wall has disappeared from 0.4.18
Haven't noticed ..

Yhea .. we are still in pre-alpha .. maybe alpha stage .. this is CUTTING EDGE!
and the developers come up with new ideas that get implemented .. updated ..
tuned .. sometimed removed again .. happens ..

btw. the blockchain is up no more than 8 weeks now ..

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
The GUI is nothing more than a webpage shown in a QT-window .. that's it .. the gui updates are basically patches to that webpage (that looks like a regular UI) ... the packages come in crypto signed ... so no worry about intrusion ..

Thanks - makes sense. So that means that the automatic updates cannot at this point deliver updates to the core C++ functionality of the client?

Wasnt really worried about intrusion, just wanted to know what was going on.

Another thing that perplexes me is that they keep taking in/out features from the trading gui. The bid/ask wall has disappeared from 0.4.18
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 05:17:16 pm by trader »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
On the subject of updating, I have some questions too. As there are no linux binaries available for download, what exactly is being downloaded to my machine when it does an automatic update?

Are the automatic updates delivering a component of the client that is shared across all the platforms?
The GUI is nothing more than a webpage shown in a QT-window .. that's it .. the gui updates are basically patches to that webpage (that looks like a regular UI) ... the packages come in crypto signed ... so no worry about intrusion ..

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
On the subject of updating, I have some questions too. As there are no linux binaries available for download, what exactly is being downloaded to my machine when it does an automatic update?

Are the automatic updates delivering a component of the client that is shared across all the platforms?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
NXT is written in java ... and thus run by a Java virtual machine (JVM) ..

that feature is just not possible with bitsharesX .. BUT once the core system is stable enough you will only need to upgrade the GUI itself .. and THAT feature is already there if you take a look into the main menu!

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
I noticed that NXT has a very nice setup with updating, allowing the user to upgrade right in the client. I understand they have had much more development time, but is this feature planned? It could automatically give a prompt to install the version that ≥51 delegates have upgraded to.