Author Topic: Price Feed Difference  (Read 7429 times)

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile
So to what degree do you massively disagree with delegate relations?
Are we allowed to talk to each other, are we allowed to use the same professional/paid for fiat price feeds, are we not allowed to establish a foundation?
What sense does it make to have an median price feed on the exchange if delegates use the same external source?

what if mining pool operators in bitcoin would collude?

It's not forbidden to talk to each other .. but once you start ... things up and trick the network, the stakeholders will find out and propose a downvote ... that will work much more efficiently than a ghash poll on reddit ..
Are we not moving towards a similar scenario with there only being two(?) python scripts for delegates to publish feeds with? Of which many delegates just use the default feeds, putting power into the hands of the exchanges to manipulate our market.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:12:30 am by testz »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
So to what degree do you massively disagree with delegate relations?
Are we allowed to talk to each other, are we allowed to use the same professional/paid for fiat price feeds, are we not allowed to establish a foundation?
What sense does it make to have an median price feed on the exchange if delegates use the same external source?

what if mining pool operators in bitcoin would collude?

It's not forbidden to talk to each other .. but once you start ... things up and trick the network, the stakeholders will find out and propose a downvote ... that will work much more efficiently than a ghash poll on reddit ..
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:12:11 am by testz »

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile
http://www.xe.com/datafeed/ Has anyone considered using a professional source of currency data?
It actually looks quite expensive:
Daily: US $540 / year
Hourly: US $2,160 / year
Quarter Hour: US $4,320 / year
Minute: US $6,480 / year

Any alternatives? I could see the quarter hour being justified once delegates are earning above that, but for now it's a massive expense..

Only if BitsharesX blockchain was legal entity able to purchase the above-mentioned feed....
It could pay for the bills from the fees.
Well.. delegates could individually purchase said feeds.. perhaps all of the delegates could create a corporation (perhaps establishing itself as a single entity) and get a single license for an expensive price feed and allow everyone to use it?

I am here, on this forum that is, for several proposes (self appointed, btw).... One of them is to post the below regarding your bolded text:

Woah! Very hostile man, check yourself before you wreck yourself.
So to what degree do you massively disagree with delegate relations? Are we allowed to talk to each other, are we allowed to use the same professional/paid for fiat price feeds, are we not allowed to establish a foundation?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:11:06 am by testz »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I am here, on this forum that is, for several proposes (self appointed, btw).... One of them is to post the below regarding your bolded text:

what tonyk wants to say is: Cooperation of delegates is a NO-GO!!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:10:50 am by testz »

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile
http://www.xe.com/datafeed/ Has anyone considered using a professional source of currency data?

Any alternatives? I could see the quarter hour being justified once delegates are earning above that, but for now it's a massive expense..

Only if BitsharesX blockchain was legal entity able to purchase the above-mentioned feed....
Well.. delegates could individually purchase said feeds.. perhaps all of the delegates could create a corporation (perhaps establishing itself as a single entity) and get a single license for an expensive price feed and allow everyone to use it?

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile

Alternatives:
http://www.xignite.com/forex/product

...Think one of us could grab said feeds and distribute it? Kinda a breach of ToS.. hmm : /
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:33:23 am by cryptillionaire »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Which on is easier? - To manipulate the price  at 9 exchanges with 5 trade volume or at one with 100 trade volume?
That's why I am polling multiple exchanges and derive the MEDIAN ...

however you are right as the whole median thing only makes sense if I polled like 20 exchanges and not only 3-4 ..
Gonna pimp my script towards volume-based averaging .. this evening

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
conclusion: we should go by 1)

makes sense!

YES it does!

Which on is easier? - To manipulate the price  at 9 exchanges with 5 trade volume or at one with 100 trade volume?
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
conclusion: we should go by 1)

makes sense!

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
It is not difficult ... but at the end you will have the choice between

1) average over weighted-by-volume exchange prices
2) median over exchange prices

right?

I do not care about the median if 95% of the trade volume is at some other price.

right?

Offline emski

• View Profile
Is it really that hard to provide weighted price feed? Give me a break... I, myself, can probably learn enough python (or whatever) to change it in a day or 3.....
It is not about writing the script. It is about convincing everyone to use that technique.
It is useless to provide such script if noone uses it.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
It is not difficult ... but at the end you will have the choice between

1) average over weighted-by-volume exchange prices
2) median over exchange prices

right?

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
*agreed* ... my script was a first shot and probably will change (improve) over time .. thanks for pointing it out!

But I am not so sure if it fits to "building the median over all exchange prices" :|
Yes it is not exactly like that.
However, even though it accounts for specific currency pairs and does additional conversions it still accounts for the price derived from low volume exchanges the same as the price derived from high volume exchanges.

Is it really that hard to provide weighted price feed? Give me a break... I, myself, can probably learn enough python (or whatever) to change it in a day or 3.....

Offline emski

• View Profile
*agreed* ... my script was a first shot and probably will change (improve) over time .. thanks for pointing it out!

But I am not so sure if it fits to "building the median over all exchange prices" :|
Yes it is not exactly like that.
However, even though it accounts for specific currency pairs and does additional conversions it still accounts for the price derived from low volume exchanges the same as the price derived from high volume exchanges.