Author Topic: What type of servers are needed for delegates?  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Thom

As a relative newbie to the community here I've gotta say tonyk's communication style could use some help. In this thread I find the insult uncalled for. However, I too assumed eagleeye was talking about hosting which is typical when discussing "servers". But eageeye is right, he did NOT mention hosting, only the requirements for server hardware.

xeroc's note that a search would have lead to better threads where this topic is already discussed may be true, but I know from my own experience keyword selection is extremely important in getting good results and often it's very difficult to hit the right ones. Eagleeye mentioned one phrase but it often takes several attempts at searching to get it right, and sometimes after a half dozen attempts with poor results you just figure it's easier to post a new topic.

Although it's true a single source for anything the delegates rely on is a form of centralization. in the case of computers the risk is minimal. I certainly would be giving any common systems that became popular to delegates some close scrutiny tho, should some keyloggers or other spy hardware be built in. Custom mobos or odd components would be suspicious.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Here we go again:

Company coming and suggesting services.... aka providing single point of failure...

What was in the other thread:

All delegates paying for one feed.

And Eagleeye, I will continue doing what am doing until you stop doing what you are doing....
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:38:18 am by tonyk2 »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
He made some points calling this sabotage as the content of the OP is already WELL discussed over at different places of the forum ... using the search function could have pointed you there ..

however, I understand that tonyk's "way of communication" sometimes is a little rude

I understand it was talked about on mumble but doing a simple search of "servers for delegates" does not bring anything up but this thread.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
He made some points calling this sabotage as the content of the OP is already WELL discussed over at different places of the forum ... using the search function could have pointed you there ..

however, I understand that tonyk's "way of communication" sometimes is a little rude

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
@eagleeye (aka chicken-brain)

Your sabotage campaign towards Bitshares will  be better off if you restrain yourself from outrageous posts like the OP.

If you keep insulting me ill talk to the moderators about it.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
That would be undesired.
A company offering delegate hosting is essentially centralizing the network.
I think even AWS and Digital Ocean should be avoided as all delegates running there could be wiped out with a single policy or request.
However given the current profitability it should be OK for now.
Bandwidth requirements are not that tough so far, even for the seed nodes. I think I posted some statistics about that earlier https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7551.0 . After posting that the seed nodes were increased and the load is lower now. However the stats show where we are heading.
As for the CPU/RAM/HDD current load is insignificant for both delegate nodes and seed nodes.

I never said delegate hosting.  Im talking about the hardware.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
In my understanding this is based on bandwidth.
Currently, you can run a delegate on a $10/month VPS (virtual machine) ..
bandwidth/datarates for delegates are not too high. Once we talk about 1-10
transactions per second you will need
-more ram
-more cpu
-more bandwidth
-more disk space

What type of servers are needed for delegates?
Currently you can run it on a cheap machine .. in 5 years you will need a sever grid VISA-scale!

There is potentially an opportunity for a company to come in and offer servers
for delegates as the network gets more and more transactions.
There is plenty of discussion about this too .. we also chatted about someone
offering that service in a mumble session. So this will become reality .. Also because more DACS arise which each need delegates!

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
@eagleeye (aka chicken-brain)

Your sabotage campaign towards Bitshares will  be better off if you restrain yourself from outrageous posts like the OP.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
That would be undesired.
A company offering delegate hosting is essentially centralizing the network.
I think even AWS and Digital Ocean should be avoided as all delegates running there could be wiped out with a single policy or request.
However given the current profitability it should be OK for now.
Bandwidth requirements are not that tough so far, even for the seed nodes. I think I posted some statistics about that earlier https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7551.0 . After posting that the seed nodes were increased and the load is lower now. However the stats show where we are heading.
As for the CPU/RAM/HDD current load is insignificant for both delegate nodes and seed nodes.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:20:54 am by emski »

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
In my understanding this is based on bandwidth.

What type of servers are needed for delegates?

There is potentially an opportunity for a company to come in and offer servers for delegates as the network gets more and more transactions.