Author Topic: An open letter to Tonyk  (Read 15113 times)

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Brand newbies should not be pounced upon and degraded. I have not seen anyone do that on this forum, though perhaps I missed something. Newbies should be welcomed and informed so they can make the right decisions whether/how to make BitShares a part of their lives.

In my experience, Tonyk is a stand-up guy. He speaks his mind and is not afraid to challenge the establishment or make critical comments when he deems this to be needed. I don't hold this against him at all. In fact, I wish we had 20 more people who understand this system as well as he does (from a technical and financial standpoint) and are willing to challenge everyone to be the best they can. Tonyk made good on his promise to pay me for the picture of the $20 bill. And that money found its way to charity. It was Tonyk who suggested a worthy cause.

It's okay to be prickly sometimes.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile

Offline Agent86

• View Profile
There are probably less than 100 forum members not on the main team that understand BitShares & BTSX well and take the time to engage on the forum and explain it to others. There are much less than that (20?) who also have a decent background in markets and trading. Those people are forum gems for BTSX in particular imo.

Unfortunately I'm not part of the second group but Tonyk is & he's one of the very few people that takes the time to help others. I often see him sending people BTSX to register & helping in the stupid question thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8390.0
Including assisting me & I wanted to tip him but he asked me to send it to Xeroc for the community development program. Even taking into account that he sometimes comes across as abrasive/sarcastic/arrogant, I would easily put him in the top 10 most valuable BitShares forum members myself. It would be a great loss if this thread discouraged one of the few BitAsset knowledgeable, active and helpful people on the forum.
+5% +5%

Tony passed up a tip to ask that I get a tip.  I think tony knows a lot and is funny.  I like his sarcasm even when it is directed at me.
(example https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9115.msg118283#msg118283)

It's no fun if people can't get into it every now and again.  There will be some new users that like a forum where people don't hold back.
are you coming to Vegas, A86. Would love to meet you in person.
Yea, I'll make it.  I haven't got my flight yet but I'll get there, look forward to meeting you.

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
This thread is actually really interesting. It's creating a paradox in my mind because I find myself agreeing with each post, even though this is contradictory.

So many viewpoints, all seemingly valid.

Empathy, tolerance and understanding are needed in this world. There's every point in having differing opinions, and criticism, because it can be constructive. If people could only be reasonable, there is no need for this to lead to serious conflict and fighting.

I reckon this forum as a whole is very balanced and reasonable, and this is great.

P.S. I started typing this, then had to do something before I could post it. I came back to see tonyk's comment:

Interesting thread. I should research this dude further...
But even before that I agree with all posts in the thread. :)
 +5%

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
There are probably less than 100 forum members not on the main team that understand BitShares & BTSX well and take the time to engage on the forum and explain it to others. There are much less than that (20?) who also have a decent background in markets and trading. Those people are forum gems for BTSX in particular imo.

Unfortunately I'm not part of the second group but Tonyk is & he's one of the very few people that takes the time to help others. I often see him sending people BTSX to register & helping in the stupid question thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8390.0
Including assisting me & I wanted to tip him but he asked me to send it to Xeroc for the community development program. Even taking into account that he sometimes comes across as abrasive/sarcastic/arrogant, I would easily put him in the top 10 most valuable BitShares forum members myself. It would be a great loss if this thread discouraged one of the few BitAsset knowledgeable, active and helpful people on the forum.
+5% +5%

Tony passed up a tip to ask that I get a tip.  I think tony knows a lot and is funny.  I like his sarcasm even when it is directed at me.

It's no fun if people can't get into it every now and again.  There will be some new users that like a forum where people don't hold back.
are you coming to Vegas, A86. Would love to meet you in person.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Every once in a while bitmarket picks someone with great potential and sends him off to charm school.

I've been sent to that woodshed myself from time to time...

:)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Riverhead

+5%

+5%

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
tony for president!
btsx - bitsharesrussia

38PTSWarrior

You are helpful and friendly tonyk

Offline Agent86

• View Profile

+5% +5%

It's no fun if people can't get into it every now and again.  It's probably no fun to be on his bad side and some user understandably won't like it.  But there will be some new users that like a forum where people don't hold back.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:11:06 pm by Agent86 »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
 +5%
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
Свободу попугаям  :)
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
I think the OP's main point is about not 'blowing the sale' of BTSX to newcomers.  What this means is not ridiculing new members who have expressed frustration with the software and are reaching out to help - even if that expression comes off as rude first.  Like it or not, the software is very buggy and needs a lot of work, and we as a forum need to recognize that and be willing to provide adequate customer service, rather than insults.  In this regard, I agree.  Otherwise, roam free (and continue to take down NuBits, lol).
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
I havent been keeping up. What exactly has he said that warrants an entire attack thread dedicated to him ?

Whatever it is, Im sure he's still making a great contribution to these forums.