Author Topic: How to have separate wallets with 1 account each  (Read 4935 times)

Offline happybit

• Happy Bit!
    • View Profile
I am trying to understand all this... I wish someone responded!  :o

I thought we don't even need to backup all the 'wallet.dat' or .json files if we have a good passphrase

Offline FuLl

• View Profile
I got this to work, & for future reference for anyone else who wants to know how, here's how I did it:

-I have the original wallet containing 'Account-A' that I created when I first installed BitSharesX backed up to my hard drive, & I created a staging directory elsewhere where I'll keep a current version of each account's backup under directories titled 'Account-A' & 'Account-B'. This since the actual backups have the same name, & I dare not mess with renaming them in case they wouldn't be restorable without remembering their exact naming originally.

-I uninstalled the BitSharesX application, & afterward deleted the BitSharesX directory from Users/Username/AppData/Roaming.

-Then I ran a registry cleaner app for the sake of completeness in case there were registry settings left over from the uninstaller. I don't think this step was necessary, though.

-I then reinstalled the BitSharesX application fresh, & created the new account following the prompts.

-I backed up the newly created wallet containing the new 'Account-B' to its own directory, then copied that backup to my staging area where I keep current versions of each account's wallet.

-I can now 'Import' each separate wallet, each containing a single account, to effectively switch back & forth between them.

One question remains, however:

During the wallet import process, there's a message saying 'This will backup and replace your current wallet!'.

It's unclear to me where this particular backup gets saved, as the following screens don't ask for a file location to save it at. I checked the timestamps on the backups I already had after I imported back & forth a couple times, & it didn't appear to overwrite my current backups, so it's not using the 'last used' manual export directory.

I wouldn't know how to utilize that particular backup had I needed to, but it doesn't matter in my case since I have manual backups exported to my dedicated backup location.

So no worries about that.

Hope documenting this helps someone else.  :)

-F

Offline FuLl

• View Profile
Hi,

Being that backups containing more than 1 account don't restore properly, I was thinking I could copy 'wallet a' directory contents to a staging folder, start the client & have a new wallet with zero accounts in to create a new account in 'wallet b'. I wanted to be able to switch back & forth between the 2 to access the different accounts by simply copying the default wallet directory contents in & out of the default wallet folder.

But apparently it doesn't work that way. I emptied the default wallet folder, started the client, & it asks for a password which isn't the original password from 'wallet a', and which I don't know.

How can I set this up the way I'm aiming to? I want more than 1 account, but I don't want to lose the ability to restore from backups.

Thanks,
-F