Author Topic: Feeds without delegates....maybe a better solution?  (Read 4152 times)

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
This my problem with posting feeds, it too hard to manually publish feeds on a consistent basis. So there's a script for this. Where is the bot's source for posting a feed? It pulls api from btc38 or some  exchange. All delegates start using this, or you want all delegates to post feeds based on the same script as everything else. Tell me what is the difference from just hard coding the feed into the program?

Good point. Everyone looks at the major exchanges for BTSX. At the moment BTER and BTC38. In the future maybe this will change but it would be "insane" not to look to them as a ressource. 2 ressources with liquidity at the moment, not a bad thing, but clearly not decentralised. This is just the start.

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
we already have TWO different scripts which take DIFFERENT sources and do different operations on them ..
plus .. they are "simple" python scripts that can be modified to your needs/policies

If all delegates employ the same scripts, there will be no difference from the case that wallet embeds the price feed internally.
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
This is a good example of why I think we will eventually have to add the ability to add arbitrary new "power roles" that have "write access" normal users don't, which could act as smart oracles, but which don't produce blocks. In the short term delegates make very good substitutes for this type of worker role.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
we already have TWO different scripts which take DIFFERENT sources and do different operations on them ..
plus .. they are "simple" python scripts that can be modified to your needs/policies

Ggozzo

This my problem with posting feeds, it too hard to manually publish feeds on a consistent basis. So there's a script for this. Where is the bot's source for posting a feed? It pulls api from btc38 or some  exchange. All delegates start using this, or you want all delegates to post feeds based on the same script as everything else. Tell me what is the difference from just hard coding the feed into the program?

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
I think we should first start down voting delegates that don't do there job properly

I mentioned already that some delegates seem to be too lazy while standby delegates most certainly are not.
+5%

How do we do it? Is it by choosing thumbs down?

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
why not punish delegates that do not do their job properly? I.e. charge them btsx that will go into the kitty as yield or something like that. Or even better that charge will go devided to charity delegates or any charity DAC we might have in the future
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I think we should first start down voting delegates that don't do there job properly

I mentioned already that some delegates seem to be too lazy while standby delegates most certainly are not.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
i don't like the idea that all the feeds are provided via the delegates, if we need them in the long run, i would like to have a different source of feeds.

why?

it looks like the delegates are not really incentived to do their "job" on the feed side. And i understand it and i don't see them to do it at all.

idea:

at the moment the trading bots are coming. what about to introducing "feed bots" to do the job of the delegates. maybe to vote them into power as well.

A feed bot has 2 jobs.

1. publish a feed from a selected source every hour once.
2. provide X amount "bids" orders with 1% difference to the ask/bid side of the average feed price

incentive for a feed bot owner

1. 10% of the trading fees are paid to them
2. if they are trading they have to pay 50% of the trading fee and not 100% (not much now)

with this change we could attract interested people to make a kind of market maker

what do you think?