Author Topic: Regulation-Proof, Self-Funding DACs (+ proposed PTS/AGS issuance %s)  (Read 9119 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Offline gnarl

• View Profile
less than 8 days left for the AGS snapshot .. maybe we should organize some crypto marketing to get PTS rise a little ... or maybe not :D

Thats not a bad idea, a few tweets might do it

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
less than 8 days left for the AGS snapshot .. maybe we should organize some crypto marketing to get PTS rise a little ... or maybe not :D

Offline gnarl

• View Profile

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
The shares of the music DAC (called Notes) will be issued out with 45% going to BitShares PTS holders, 45% going to BitShares AGS holders and 10% going to the BitShares Music Foundation.

yhea!

tonyk rules !!!   :P

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9473.msg123166#msg123166  :D
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
The shares of the music DAC (called Notes) will be issued out with 45% going to BitShares PTS holders, 45% going to BitShares AGS holders and 10% going to the BitShares Music Foundation.

yhea!

tonyk rules !!!   :P

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

I hear your concerns. I will start a new discussion on another proposed way to do it which I think would be best for everyone involved in the DAC. Let me start typing! gimme an few minutes (:

It's worth discussing and debating. However, I think that a discussion on the new delegate funding model already is taking place on the thread that BM started (which Cob referenced earlier). Let's make this thread a place to discuss anything specifically applicable to the Music DAC, which may include that funding model. Let's just make sure our comments here add something new, not simply duplicating the discussion that is going on right now in that other thread.

Offline cob

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
I like using dilution to fund these important expenses (development, marketing, legal, etc.), but I really dislike bytemaster's solution to this.

This new version, which will be spearheaded and tested by BitShares Music, will allow delegates to make more than just the transaction fees, they will be able to do additional rounds of funding, as long as the shareholders agree and vote for it.

As long as they vote for it indirectly. I've discussed my concerns with this method here. I think dilution is a big deal that we shouldn't just allow to happen because a delegate was voted up to top 101 ranks. This should be a decision that I believe requires majority shareholder consensus. Also, I don't like that the delegates get to decide how to distribute the funds. I think it is best to keep the role of the delegates as minimal as possible: just what is necessary to keep the network running, votes updated, and generally maintaining consensus in the blockchain. We should just vote for delegates that we trust enough to keep the network operating and to not collude to break the consensus, do double-spends, etc. Even trusting them with price feeds is pushing the limit but is acceptable for now. I believe everything else, particularly deciding how to use funds for the betterment of the DAC and ecosystem, should be delegated to other entities (decided through proposals that are ratified by shareholder vote) who are specialized to handle that role.

So, I would like to see the ability for the shareholders to vote directly on proposals and require majority consensus anytime we change the rules of how quickly the money supply can be inflated (or even if we want to print a lump sum of stake to cover unexpected expenses, e.g. legal costs). Other proposals, such as how and who to distribute this printed money to, could be changed with less than majority consensus if desired in order to avoid gridlock on quickly making important decisions.

I agree 100% with this. I really don't have the feeling that this system is ready and it could put the whole Music DAC at risk.
I outlined my position in more detail https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9452.msg122943#msg122943
A system like this needs a lot more discussion before it is ready for use in "the wild".

I hear your concerns. I will start a new discussion on another proposed way to do it which I think would be best for everyone involved in the DAC. Let me start typing! gimme an few minutes (:
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
+5% Turn it up to eleven!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
I like using dilution to fund these important expenses (development, marketing, legal, etc.), but I really dislike bytemaster's solution to this.

This new version, which will be spearheaded and tested by BitShares Music, will allow delegates to make more than just the transaction fees, they will be able to do additional rounds of funding, as long as the shareholders agree and vote for it.

As long as they vote for it indirectly. I've discussed my concerns with this method here. I think dilution is a big deal that we shouldn't just allow to happen because a delegate was voted up to top 101 ranks. This should be a decision that I believe requires majority shareholder consensus. Also, I don't like that the delegates get to decide how to distribute the funds. I think it is best to keep the role of the delegates as minimal as possible: just what is necessary to keep the network running, votes updated, and generally maintaining consensus in the blockchain. We should just vote for delegates that we trust enough to keep the network operating and to not collude to break the consensus, do double-spends, etc. Even trusting them with price feeds is pushing the limit but is acceptable for now. I believe everything else, particularly deciding how to use funds for the betterment of the DAC and ecosystem, should be delegated to other entities (decided through proposals that are ratified by shareholder vote) who are specialized to handle that role.

So, I would like to see the ability for the shareholders to vote directly on proposals and require majority consensus anytime we change the rules of how quickly the money supply can be inflated (or even if we want to print a lump sum of stake to cover unexpected expenses, e.g. legal costs). Other proposals, such as how and who to distribute this printed money to, could be changed with less than majority consensus if desired in order to avoid gridlock on quickly making important decisions.

I agree 100% with this. I really don't have the feeling that this system is ready and it could put the whole Music DAC at risk.
I outlined my position in more detail https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9452.msg122943#msg122943
A system like this needs a lot more discussion before it is ready for use in "the wild".

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I didn't see that coming at all!!!  +5% +5% +5%

I was thinking not to get much involved in music DAC due to lack of my free time, but your allocation just changed everything and gave me much more confidence about its success! I will find the extra time now. :)

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Mind-blowing.....Bitshares Music is about to Rock the World  +5%

Offline Overthetop

Could we set one superior limit of the dilution proportion of Music Nodes, like 100% something from the initial distribution?

I think that could help enhancing the confidence of the Music Nodes Holders.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:30:30 am by Overthetop »
个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline testz

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

yhea!

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
great idea!!

details how and so on can discussed, but now it sounds as a great project and i wish everyone great success.

Offline bobmaloney

"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
LOVE IT!

Cob, you just bought yourselves some roadies (and maybe some groupies, too). For that allocation, I'll help you unload your amps from the bus. Your whitepaper is awesome, also. BitShares Music rocks!

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag

Another problem solved by the dilution model of DPOS is that the founders are no longer required to know the future
Not only is the BitShares Music Foundation not sitting on a large sum of money collected in advance from the Bitcoin community, but in the event of an unforeseen cost, it can (with the agreement of the Noteholders) set up another round of funding to cover it.

I believe bytemaster's proposed model is less agile to respond to uncertain future events than the model I am proposing. It requires delegates to re-register new delegates with higher fees and get shareholders to vote it up into the top 101 ranks to replace the old lower-paid delegate. Delegate proposals with shareholder ratification can allow the DAC to spin on a dime if necessary in terms of reallocation of revenue but still require a significant fraction of shareholder support to do it. The barrier to increasing the rate of dilution of the stake is higher by design to protect against attacks, but the model is flexible enough to adjust the threshold of shareholder support needed for even these changes if desired.

In conclusion, the motivations outlined in your post are incredibly valid and dilution is the right solution. But I think the currently proposed model to implement it is not good. I think BitShares Music is a great DAC to experiment with the "delegate proposal ratified by shareholder vote" model. We can learn how well it works, how parameters in the voting thresholds need to be tweaked, and decide if it should be implemented later in other DACs as well.

Offline xfund

• View Profile
    • FUND投票基金
  • BitShares: xfund
Asset:FUND

Offline cob

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
Regulation-Proof, Self-Funding DACs
In the last year, we have seen a myriad of new coins, projects and businesses use countless different methods to launch their product and raise capital. In the beginning, coins were all mined, and this gave no advantage to the person or organisation launching it. In no time, we saw the idea of pre-mining a coin before launch, which also came with much criticism and endless debates about “fairness” and what the sweet spot was between: funding the developers and pure money grab. When Proof of Stake came along, we saw a more IPO style distribution that allowed the devs to receive funds in exchange for issuing out shares of the new coin/project/DAC. We saw the AGS “auction a day for 200 days” donation type of crowdfunding. We also saw ethereum’s pre-sale model where you were simply purchasing the fuel required to run a decentralized application whenever it was set to launch. Each method is an attempt at maximizing the funds received while issuing out shares as fairly as possible all while avoiding potential problems down the line (mainly regulatory).

But this is new territory. The crypto world is operating in a grey zone as far as regulations go. Regulatory uncertainty is the name of the game. To make things more complicated still, most of these projects are instantly global. As if dealing with your own local, provincial/state and federal government wasn’t enough, you now have to deal with the governments of each individual internet user (as exemplified by the NYDFS’s proposed BitLicense). Entrepreneurs and developers must navigate the still uncertain regulations of local and foreign governments. This is a huge barrier to entry to new projects. The fees associated with legal counsel and regulatory compliance can be mind boggling. And once paid for still do not guarantee anything! Regulations can change on a whim.

A new approach
Delegated Proof Of Stake (DPOS), the consensus mechanism behind BitSharesX, allows for a new approach. One that is much safer, cheaper, simpler and way more democratic than anything that came before it. Regulation-Proof, Self-Funding, Decentralized, Autonomous Companies (RPSFDACs just flows off the tongue doesn’t it?). Required is only a slight tweak to the current BitSharesX software. That tweak, which has already been implemented in the BitShares Toolkit by none other than Daniel Larimer, is to allow the 101 Delegates to set arbitrary pay rates. Delegates in BitSharesX make their income from transaction fees only. This new version, which will be spearheaded and tested by BitShares Music, will allow delegates to make more than just the transaction fees, they will be able to do additional rounds of funding, as long as the shareholders agree and vote for it. In other words, as many companies already do in the real world, delegates will be able to raise capital to fuel growth by diluting shareholder percentages while growing the value of each individual share.

The walkthrough: Launching BitShares Music
The BitShares Music blockchain is to be launched with almost identical code as BItSharesX with the exception of the delegate’s ability to set a pay that is higher than the transaction fees. Any other modifications to the blockchain (that will turn it into a music specific DAC) can be done after it has launched.
The shares of the music DAC (called Notes) will be issued out with 45% going to BitShares PTS holders, 45% going to BitShares AGS holders and 10% going to the BitShares Music Foundation. The Notes in control of the foundation are to be used to fund development of the core of the BitShares Music ecosystem. It will handle all things that are necessary but unpopular or considered boring. Note holders then vote for delegates that will, through Note dilution, fund high profile additional work that the community understands and demands. Whatever they thinks would grow the value of the BitShares Music network faster than the salaries would dilute it. Whenever either the Foundation or the delegates have an expense that cannot be paid for in Notes, they simply do like everyone else, and sell from one of the popular exchanges to claim their bitcoin or fiat.

The problems solved
One of the best reasons, from an entrepreneurial standpoint, to do it this way are regulations. With this method, there is no crowdfunding. No one is asking money in exchange for something in the future. The BitShares Music Foundation is simply taking the toolkit and launching a DAC. People download the client for free and can start using it immediately. If you happen to be a PTS or AGS holder, you can import your private keys, as you probably did with BitSharesX, to claim your extra Notes. All in all, the BitShares Music Foundation merely launched a piece of P2P software. It never asked anyone for money. If ever it needs to raise capital, it can inflate the note supply and sell some notes on an exchange. Same with the delegates.

This method of skipping the pre-sale/fundraiser avoids expensive attorney fees, setting up of a trust fund, setting up a non-profit corporation, etc. It saves an immense amount of time and money which can both be placed where it counts: getting the actual product out, rather than burning it all navigating the dangerous waters of global regulations.

Aside from the regulatory benefits of not asking for money first and promising to deliver something later is that it turns this into a “pay as you go” or “pay as you prove yourself” model. BitShares Music (or anyone else using this model) is not raising 10 million dollars up front, storing it (risk of theft here!), and then trying to spend the money accordingly, all while hoping it is enough to get the product to market. The Foundation simply launches the blockchain and sells off Notes whenever there is an expense it needs to cover. If it (or the delegates) must inflate to do so, as long as the Note holders/voters agree to it, it will be done.

Another problem solved by the dilution model of DPOS is that the founders are no longer required to know the future, an impossible feat in itself, even harder in the Bitcoin world! If the percentage of shares kept by the founders ended up being too low to cover all costs, the project could lose steam and die off. If the percentage at launch were too high, the result could be a non-decentralized blockchain which could initially mean less supporters/investors to the project. It could also mean there would be a central point of failure to that project. In all cases, there would be a big risk of forking the chain.
Not only is the BitShares Music Foundation not sitting on a large sum of money collected in advance from the Bitcoin community, but in the event of an unforeseen cost, it can (with the agreement of the Noteholders) set up another round of funding to cover it.
With this model, power gradually gets more and more decentralized. Every time dilution occurs is because there is an expense to be paid that would increase the value of the network down the line. When that expense is paid for in Notes, it means Notes are distributed from the Foundation or the Delegates, to the new recipient. When an expense is paid for in any other form (USD, Bitcoin, Euro) those newly “minted” notes are sold on an exchange to whoever is on the bid side of the trade.
In both cases, everyone, including anyone considered a whale sees their overall percentage of ownership of the DAC go down slightly. Everyone’s piece of the pie shrinks slightly to make room for the new Noteholder that is to bring value to that pie through whatever work he was just paid to do. Percentage goes down, but the value of each share should go up. In every case, the noteholder should end up benefiting from this new better, faster, stronger network.
At first, as with all start ups, power will be in the hands of the entrepreneurs building the business. It is to be expected that the BitShares Music Foundation have a big role in what is being developed at first. But the more expenses are paid, the more Notes are spread around. Remember, with BitShares, sending shares also means sending voting power.
As the DAC matures, dilution will be less and less necessary, until it becomes a thing of the past. Noteholders will simply stop voting for the delegates that have an inflationary policy and maybe even reverse the trend and vote for delegates that will burn 90% of their pay from transaction fees. The point is the Noteholders will decide which direction they want the DAC to go.

And finally a bonus benefit of this strategy is that no one except the already experienced PTS and AGS holders will need to import their private keys into the client. In the pre-sale models where people send funds in advance, there has to be some way to identify and give the correct people their respective shares. This can be a huge hassle and barrier to adoption, especially for those that kept their funds in an exchange during snapshots.

So to sum up the benefits of this new strategy:
Avoids costs of regulations and future risk associated with having a multiple jurisdiction, grey zone “IPO”
Pay as you go. No need to get all funds up front
No need to know the future!
No central point of failure (no big pool of money managed by a single entity)
Power rests in the hands of the shareholders
Gradual and steady decentralization of power
New Notes are used to grow the value of the chain faster than dilution can shrink it
Dilution stops once it is no longer needed. The process can even be reversed
No need to teach new adopters how to import private keys

DACs are getting even easier to launch
All in all, I think the BitShares core team really hit the nail on the head with this one. Although they will tell you that corporations issuing new stock and diluting the total amount of shares to pay for expenses is nothing new, they have taken a proven financial concept and tied it into the new DAC ecosystem. This is yet again lowering the barrier to entry and opening up the gates to the free market even wider. Regulation-proof, self-funding, decentralized, autonomous companies are going to be nearly unstoppable. A bright future is upon us.

On this same Topic, Bytemaster just posted this today:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9452.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:13:57 pm by cob »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.