Author Topic: Overstock's Patrick Byrne hires Counterparty devs to build next stock market  (Read 2130 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Opes. I posted it in general section

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9764.msg126815#msg126815

Goes right to the heart of BitShares X in terms of competition.

It's not competition at all. Bitshares X can't be SEC regulated because it's not centralized but the Overstock solution is designed to be regulated by the SEC.

This means they are in two completely different niches. Overstock is going to offer a centralized point of failure which doesn't exist with Bitshares X.

Yeah you're right, I guess I was just annoyed that we lost a potential partner, but in the end as you say he wanted to do something quite different from what we are doing and aspire to do. As you guys pointed out in the other thread, this will actually have quite a few benefits for us, and we should feel quite okay with it.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

It's not competition at all. Bitshares X can't be SEC regulated because it's not centralized but the Overstock solution is designed to be regulated by the SEC.

This means they are in two completely different niches. Overstock is going to offer a centralized point of failure which doesn't exist with Bitshares X.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

OverStock Exchange isn't competing with BitShares, its competing with NASDAQ.  Their targeted demographic wants less middle men and lower fees.  Lets be honest, how many people do you know not on the internet that is afraid of NASDAQ running away with all their customers money?

At most, in the BitShares ecosystem, it would be competing against BitShares Me. Crowdfunding, penny stocks and the like.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Why is everyone missing that little factoid about Overstock owning the exchange?

Ie. cannot get any more centralized?

Ie. not decentralized in the slightest?

Ie. not competing with Bitshares?

OverStock Exchange isn't competing with BitShares, its competing with NASDAQ.  Their targeted demographic wants less middle men and lower fees.  Lets be honest, how many people do you know not on the internet that is afraid of NASDAQ running away with all their customers money?
Hes against bots and private deals between firms for policy adjustments.. not that they will run away but more of whats allowed to take place and has ideals thats he thinks should be applied which are possibke thru a decentralized asset exchange.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
Why is everyone missing that little factoid about Overstock owning the exchange?

BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Why is he releasing O-Coin. Why not use BTC?

I dont think BTC is tradeable via an asset.. there is already an XBTC... he plans to issue company stock on the exchange... so in order to do that I think he will have to have a pegged asset... and thus introduce the notion of price feeds.. which are better solved using our system of delegates rather than what I think they will do is just have a set of trusted nodes hosting feeds which will be susceptible to ddos attacks to manipulate market moves. I don't think they solved the problem but that is why he is funding it probably.. will be interesting to see that they come up with conlusion that they will need to map the price of the stock to an external price feed and then how they try to solve the problem of the peg.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Riverhead

Offline oldman

• View Profile

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I think this is quite compatible with BitShares. They have different strengths. Has CounterParty now lost two of its key devs? Or will they build this into CounterParty?

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains