Author Topic: How much is a new user worth?  (Read 55822 times)

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
For BTSX to take off, BitUSD needs to gain network effect. To gain network effect, you need a viral insertion point. Once a successful insertion point has been found and seeded, network effect takes on a life of its own, spreading virally to other areas. Snowballing.

I see where you're coming from, I'm just saying what could be more viral than a decentralized bank with interest higher that can't be beat? The fiat onramps are exactly what we need, and that's precisely what the team is working on.

thats absolutly fine. but it would be great we take multiply roads, because we don't know which road will lead to success. so Open Bazaar is just a nice why to give bitUSD a first purpose without holding USD outside a centralized solution.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
So what do we need to do to get these folks to accept BitUSD?

Offline oco101

• View Profile
The fiat onramps are exactly what we need, and that's precisely what the team is working on.

Yeah that great absolutely right, but why not do the OB integration too what we have too loose?  I'm mean one does not exclude the other.

Offline roadscape

For BTSX to take off, BitUSD needs to gain network effect. To gain network effect, you need a viral insertion point. Once a successful insertion point has been found and seeded, network effect takes on a life of its own, spreading virally to other areas. Snowballing.

I see where you're coming from, I'm just saying what could be more viral than a decentralized bank with interest higher that can't be beat? The fiat onramps are exactly what we need, and that's precisely what the team is working on.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Open bazaar is great but a small userbase that even if we grab 100% it would be insignificant in the next few years.

Walk before you run...

A successful bitUSD implementation will expose Bitshares to a crucial (though perhaps not large) demographic of crypto-enthusiasts, investors and end users.

And let's not forget that OB, if successful, may quickly become one of the largest pools of crypto-users in the world.

I think bytemaster is saying that when BTSX takes off, even a successful OpenBazaar will pale in comparison. Perhaps we're thinking too small :)

Source: I do this for a living.

Offline roadscape

Open bazaar is great but a small userbase that even if we grab 100% it would be insignificant in the next few years.

Walk before you run...

A successful bitUSD implementation will expose Bitshares to a crucial (though perhaps not large) demographic of crypto-enthusiasts, investors and end users.

And let's not forget that OB, if successful, may quickly become one of the largest pools of crypto-users in the world.

I think bytemaster is saying that when BTSX takes off, even a successful OpenBazaar will pale in comparison. Perhaps we're thinking too small :)
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline Mysto

• View Profile

Walk before you run...

If I3 is not willing to fund integration I would contribute to a crowd funding effort.
+5%

Offline oldman

• View Profile

Walk before you run...

If I3 is not willing to fund integration I would contribute to a crowd funding effort.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
@bytemaster

for none programmer

what steps are needed to do it? is it only possible to do it directly with I3 or could it be done with a 3rd party?

the question would be if I3 could or will not take this possibility. is it possible for us as community to fund somebody who can do it?

maybe we can fund a DAC with purpose to make this gateway to Open Bazaar and the DAC can take a cut a small fee for the multisig notary service.

the founding of something like bitpay for bitUSD :D

Offline oco101

• View Profile

Of course their user base is small, they haven't even launched (alpha stage, soon to be public beta). To test OpenBazaar, you have to install and run it through the command line. So, it's obviously only intended for developers and advanced users. Right now, there is a lot of buzz around OpenBazaar and I fully expect it gain network effect very quickly. With BitUSD, OpenBazaar can appeal to a broader demographic of regular users. It's frustrating you don't see the synergistic significance of this.

Agree. So we may need to crowdfoud I guess....

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

For all potential partners:

Scenario 1, they fizzle out.
Scenario 2, they go exponential.
Scenario 3, they go exponential with our help.
Scenario 4, they fizzle out even with our help.
Scenario 5, they go exponential with someone else's help.
Scenario 6, they fizzle out even with someone else's help.

Offline Pheonike

But if we are there at beginning we can help increase that user base which would increase ours. Better to grow with them in the early stages and become integrated in the code base from start. If it doesn't require too many resources now.

Offline Final_Acclaim

• View Profile

I don't recommend stopping other initiatives, however, if it would set a very strong precedent within crypto that we're really the only choice when it comes to stability and a clean image to the mainstream. Is there a ROI on the development time needed from your perspective bytemaster? If not, I know there's talks of the community funding the development.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Of course their user base is small, they haven't even launched (alpha stage, soon to be public beta). To test OpenBazaar, you have to install and run it through the command line. So, it's obviously only intended for developers and advanced users. Right now, there is a lot of buzz around OpenBazaar and I fully expect it gain network effect very quickly. With BitUSD, OpenBazaar can appeal to a broader demographic of regular users. It's frustrating you don't see the synergistic significance of this.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.