Author Topic: Key Graph  (Read 6236 times)

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
Can I make a simple suggestion: Avoid the words "graph" and "edge" in any public marketing materials. If you must use the words under the hood, so be it.

Here's the problem:

A graph theorist (or probably any computer scientist) hears "graph" and thinks "network."
A normal person (even a well-educated one outside of a couple specific fields) hears "graph" and thinks "chart of data." Calling it a graph will actually mislead most people.

Edge is even worse: A graph theorist hears "edge" and thinks "connection between network nodes."
A normal person hears "edge" and thinks something like "boundary;" such as "the part of my kitchen table where I shouldn't set my drinks." Or even worse, they think "the sharp part of a knife." Calling it an edge will make most people immediately and utterly confused, because in the vernacular, "edge" means something totally different than what you want it to mean.

You are setting up a massive language barrier if you use the word "edge," because it doesn't have any intuitive connection in most peoples' minds to network links.

I'm guessing you call it Key Graph because you think the word "net" is over-used; I'll give you that. But please please please use a word like "link" or "connection" or "keynnection" or anything but "edge."

Agreed. As a normal person, I cannot imagine what key graph means.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:22:31 am by clayop »
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Can I make a simple suggestion: Avoid the words "graph" and "edge" in any public marketing materials. If you must use the words under the hood, so be it.

Here's the problem:

A graph theorist (or probably any computer scientist) hears "graph" and thinks "network."
A normal person (even a well-educated one outside of a couple specific fields) hears "graph" and thinks "chart of data." Calling it a graph will actually mislead most people.

Edge is even worse: A graph theorist hears "edge" and thinks "connection between network nodes."
A normal person hears "edge" and thinks something like "boundary;" such as "the part of my kitchen table where I shouldn't set my drinks." Or even worse, they think "the sharp part of a knife." Calling it an edge will make most people immediately and utterly confused, because in the vernacular, "edge" means something totally different than what you want it to mean.

You are setting up a massive language barrier if you use the word "edge," because it doesn't have any intuitive connection in most peoples' minds to network links.

I'm guessing you call it Key Graph because you think the word "net" is over-used; I'll give you that. But please please please use a word like "link" or "connection" or "keynnection" or anything but "edge."

Meh.. I agree we could use "connection" instead of "edge", but even facebook has a product called "social graph" which is very much public-facing.

I'm not totally opposed to "graph," but you must agree that "edge" is wildly confusing for anybody but you and your CMU friends. ;)

I think "link" wouldn't be bad.

"link" is reserved for a specific connection type, the two-way "keys have the same owner" connection
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil

Here's the problem:

Meh.. I agree we could use "connection" instead of "edge", but even facebook has a product called "social graph" which is very much public-facing.

I'm not totally opposed to "graph," but you must agree that "edge" is wildly confusing for anybody but you and your CMU friends. ;)

I think "link" wouldn't be bad.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline toast

• View Profile

Here's the problem:

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil

Here's the problem:

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline logxing

Wonderful!
I like this idea!
BTS Account:logxing

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
* Shares on edges - a balance can sign an edge to give that edge weight for "devotion" or other validation based on edge CDD. You can restrict share movement based on edge rules (overstock!)

Hmm, if you add the functionality to cryptographically link a balance to an edge, then what about the following:
* Delegate share votes - A balance can sign an edge pointing to an account to give that account the voting power of the balance. Only the latest edge signed by the balance is valid. If the balance is transferred, the edge becomes invalid. Thus each account has a balance (for each asset class) of voting power delegated to it.

* Delegate account votes - Delegate a percentage (determined by edge weight) of voting power (of a certain asset class) publicly available to the signing account (through the delegate share votes mechanism above) to an account for a particular vote category of the asset class. Percentage is determined by dividing the edge weight with the sum of edge weights of all of the signing account's outgoing edges for the given vote category of the given asset class (so percentages of all of an account's outgoing delegate account vote edges always sums to 100% for any given vote category of any given asset class).

With these two features (with on-chain validation necessary for the first and likely also for the second if it is within a Voting DAC), we can implement liquid democracy features on the blockchain using whichever assets that give voting rights for certain decisions/elections (could be user-issued assets). Each asset can have a list of vote categories specific to that asset. Elections can fall under different vote categories and the weight of the votes of an account voting in such an election is determined by the balance of the asset voting power received by the account for that specific vote category (via the delegate account vote edges discussed above). This allows users to distribute their voting power provided by their assets to others differently depending on the voting category (essentially the class of issues being decided on through the election).

Offline xfund

• View Profile
    • FUND投票基金
  • BitShares: xfund
Asset:FUND

Offline mtang

• BTSX id:mtang
    • View Profile
 +5%
That's awesome
BTSX:wallet_approve_delegate btsx.outofcontrol true
DNS :wallet_account_set_approval mtang true
感谢给我们的受托人团队“失控”btsx.outofcontro以及she.bitrose投票。请关注FUND数字资产运作计划//立足兢兢业业的standby delegate//weibo ID:汤O包

Offline toast

• View Profile
I think we could use DNS to sponsor a competition - top 2 key graph interpretations (ruleset + visualizations) split $1000
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 03:48:16 pm by toast »

Offline toast

• View Profile
There's quite a bit you can do using just account public data and public "edge" data. The common theme is that you only need to define an interpretation based on your knowledge of each key's write access. The blockchain/DAC only enforces where you can write and not what or under what conditions - but this is sufficient for a lot of things!

* RDPOS - This is an off-chain feature and that will be more obvious as alternative clients emerge
* Simple Anti-Sybil - Identity verifier is a KeyID that people believe only signs off on keys that it can link to a unique identity.
* Basic Voting - Once you filter a group by ID verifiers and legibility verifiers, you can filter out people who make "invalid" votes according to whatever interpretation of the out-edges (users to candidates) as you want.
* Basic Reputation - Reputation is always a function of two individuals. "Do I trust him? Well, how do I trust anything? Who do I know and trust personally? Why do they know/trust/defer to?"  etc. I can't think of anything that needs dependent transaction validation for simple schemes.
* Canonizer - with a few concessions, you can make a canonizer tree for a particular topic, hosting most of the content off-chain

Now with very basic on-chain validation rules:
* Linked Keys - an edge signed by both keys could enable treating cliques of keys as an identity and supporting "send to clique"
* Shares on edges - a balance can sign an edge to give that edge weight for "devotion" or other validation based on edge CDD. You can restrict share movement based on edge rules (overstock!)

Here is a basic edge:

Code: [Select]
To:  dbrock
What:  Is A Unique Human
Value:  1

Here are some "special" edges with validation:

Code: [Select]
To: nikolai2
What: _chain/same_owner
Value: true

To: nikolai
What: _chain/asset_restriction_validator_01/OVER
Value: true

The DAC (shareholders using their delegates) are responsible for determining the most valuable things to bring on-chain.

The next KeyID test network (before vegas) will have this feature for developers to experiment with.