Author Topic: Is it time to close the curtains?  (Read 4810 times)

Offline pariah99

• I'm so meta even this acronym.
    • View Profile
What about a invite only subsection. Something not based on post count but actual content of the user or a willingness to actually help.

I think it would not be a good idea to actually close off the forum all together, it would just isolate people that want to get involved but are new.

I would argue that any closed off section would be nearly equivalent to completely closing off the forums from a 'transparency' perspective.  If people really want to keep prying eyes from seeing their conversations, they should pick a different vehicle for communicating rather than posting on internet forums.

Instead of restricting the forums, I would argue that some minor reorganization of the forums would make it easier for new users to access:
- I think that the forums should be reorganized or renamed in a manner that makes more sense rather than closed off. i.e., the current "Bank & Exchange" forum is under the DAC category, so it should really be the bitsharesX forum.
- The development forums should, in my opinion, be put in a subforum under each DAC.
- I had no idea that KeyID was going to be the vehicle for DNSshares until I happened upon that forum, so I would rename that KeyID/DNS or something more clear.

I can think of a couple more (minor) changes, but the essence of the reorganization should focus on paving the groundwork for more DACs to start popping up, and directing people to the proper subforum for discussing a particular DAC.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
What about a invite only subsection. Something not based on post count but actual content of the user or a willingness to actually help.

I think it would not be a good idea to actually close off the forum all together, it would just isolate people that want to get involved but are new.

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
All of you regular, invaluable contributors were all once first time visitors. Maybe you would not have tried to get into the insider group had there been that hurdle.

I think more openness translates into more ideas.
  +5%

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
I just have one concern regarding having the forum public to whoever wants to access.

Several groundbreaking ideas are brought up by brilliant forum members, ideas which are then at some point added to the "to do list" of the dev team. They do a terrific job, but they are humans and there's only 168 hours in one week. What I have in mind as Bitshares X (or any other DAC for that matter) being "open source" is basically developping the software, releasing it to the world and then let the others know about all the innovation contained in that release. But you still get the first mover advantage, because while the comptetition is trying to figure out the implications of what was released, the devs are already on to something else.

Having this forum open, several of the best ideas can be "copied" or modified and integrated on another platform even before the dev team is able to integrate them in the software. Then you lose your first mover advantage for that specific idea.

On the other hand though, it's all about which dev team is the most innovative and fastest to implement new ideas, and in that matter I really believe Bitshares has a solid lead over the competition.

Anyway, it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider having a "closed" section where the most innovative ideas could be discussed and debated without the competition spying on those ideas.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I think it would split our efforts in multiple "weaker" pieces...
I think the forum must only be better organized and maybe it needs some tools to make it easier to find the important informations... (somebody proposed up/down voting threads for example)
There exist already channels we can all contribute further like reddit , facebook groups, twitter etc. that are bitshares related...

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
No, I think the open forum is fine.

I have thought about a site where even if we don't do our BitShares/DAC coindesk we have a page that is sort of a highlights forum page, that contains the most relevant news & interesting, positive discussions.

While not liking NuBits (ponzi) I think their website is quite simple & friendly. https://nubits.com/

I like the BitShares-X info site but it would amost be worth doing a BitUSD specific website with a simple, friendly walk through too. 

Offline mint chocolate chip

All of you regular, invaluable contributors were all once first time visitors. Maybe you would not have tried to get into the insider group had there been that hurdle.

I think more openness translates into more ideas.

Offline roadscape

I had a similar thought earlier. But this transparency is useful while BTS is so young. The community here is one of the main reasons I've been sold on the vision. The sites are nice and the wiki is useful, but the idea exchange here is amazing.

e: clarity
e2: I retract the pay board comment
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 04:47:11 am by roadkill »
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
All for it.
'clean slate '

Can I please be allowed to not carry all the negative perception, I managed to accumulate here? Kind of clean slate of kinds.

Those having positive balance (unlike me) should be allowed to transfer it also, btw.

On the main topic - Yes, discussing ideas, should not be searchable in Google, IMHO. I might be wrong on that, but that is how I feel too.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 05:11:02 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
No doubt this forum has been priceless for everything happened so far but I think at one point a decision needs to be made about its future. Not to close the forum but to make it invite only or hide it from the masses.

There's so much talent and ideas here and discussions should continue, but since BitSharesX is shaping up rather nicely and it's about to get promoted to the world wouldn't it be better to start something new aimed at end users? This goes for DNS and Music as well. I think the people who actually can contribute to something are already here and those who aren't will find their ways via invites.

I think it's another small but necessary step to get rid of the shady and sometimes amateurish appearance which the whole cryptoworld is suffering from (as seen from the world outside). It's a business and when people are doing some research on all this (Google) they should be presented with facts and numbers, not with endless discussions of uncertainties. Most end users would only care about functionality, privacy and profits, not about how it's made.

I think we should continue using this as development and behind-the-scenes forum and come up with a unified front for all others. Of course all user accounts can be migrated to the new environment but it should act as a real product support forum with a suggestion box while the real work is being done here.

Just my thoughts, looking forward hearing your opinions.

DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news