Author Topic: Cryptsy feels bad about missing snapshot; really likes BitShares  (Read 2182 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
An exchange isn't supposed to be some procrastinating Dostoevsky character. Whatever the merit of previous excuses, they can't use it over and over because now it would be awkward.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
i traded in the past on Cryptsy, but with not honoring the snapshot they lost me.

but still 4000 USD traded every day on Cryptsy in PTS and i don't get it. If you still use them
you are not interested in Snapshots or worse stupid to throw money out on the streets.

Offline johncitizen

• View Profile
I have a 3k USD bounty for PTS/BTSX information relating to their wallets. I want to know how much money they have that does not belong to them. A number of bloggers and some larger media outlets want to run the story we just need to supply details. If they decide to add BTSX before crediting the PTS holders correct funds it goes to 5K. There is no excuse with blochchain technology. The cheeky bastards sent me an email and said we will give you some cryptsy points "to ease the loss", your customer service champion -Jshock. What he does not understand is that it is not the money, its the principle.

Offline emailtooaj

I personally can not support  any exchange that takes this stance, and if possible would not like btsx, pts or any of its assets to be listed on this exchange. On one hand he says he feels bad but his actions say well sorry for your luck.

They "feel bad" for cashing in that BTSX from the snapshot and "so sorry" about your luck because they know they can't refund it back now.  :D

The situation is really sad actually!
I call BS on that whole scenario. During that moment in time (if I remember correctly) they could have easily implemented a few options to freeze the market and take their own internal book snap shot to easily figure out which accounts would get credited what, then resume business as normal.
I believe they were also banking on the fact that other exchanges wouldn't take the time to honor the PTS snap shot either.
That way they wouldn't be the only one in town to blame. So therefore they gambled on that assumption and lost.

What could they do today to make it right?
Well, why not spend $10k (or more) to hire someone(s) to go back and figure out whose suppose to get what (if they actually still hold that BTSX) and rectify the situation.
I would think a $10k investment to fix this would be their best ROI in this case, especially if they're "To Busy" to do it themselves. Might actually bring back those people that got burned and be able to make that money back 10 fold via trading fees!!

Otherwise I think they'll have the luxury to see their bank rolls continue to decline due to users distrust.

They have blackened their own eye on this one IMO 8)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 11:18:23 pm by emailtooaj »
Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
I asked this-

How do you "not participate" in a snapshot?

Where ever the pts is held is the wallet that gets credit for the snap shot. Does the above mean you just did not claim the btsx?

I would also like to add I had no pts on your exchange at the time and up until the above I WAS a very happy cryptsy user.

they respond---
Bottom line is prior to the snapshot we announced we would not participate in snapshots and conversions etc. The Protoshares team also told anyone who wished to participate to do so buy using their personal wallets. Meaning if you want to claim yours you had to have them in a wallet. Many customers withdrew. Those that did not, raise a fuss now because the sudden rise of Bitshares price and popularity.

Really its no different than staking if you want to stake you withdraw coins.

This policy would stand for any other snapshots rewards or anything that requires importing keys etc.The entire topic of snapshots staking and addresses is also covered in the Terms of Service

Anyhow lets move past Bitshares and snapshots in general since it is asked an answered both here now, in the past, and in the TOS

I personally can not support  any exchange that takes this stance, and if possible would not like btsx, pts or any of its assets to be listed on this exchange. On one hand he says he feels bad but his actions say well sorry for your luck.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:54:39 pm by Gentso1 »

Ggozzo

Quote from: BitJohn
So love the concept of Bitshares! But as you can see we have yet to add it as an option since we could not credit the customers from the first snapshot.

I mean should we at this point? I get requests for bitshares and all the variations we just have not felt right adding them after the missed snapshot.

Should we try to get them to add Bitshares?

Of course. Win/win situation.

Btw, if they do proper bookkeeping it should not be a problem for them to find out who owned what at the time of the snapshot and credit PTS holders properly.

Proper bookkeeping doesn't seem to be a thing with these exchanges. Or at least admitting it doesn't seem to be their thing. Even at bter, when they were having initial issues with BTSX withdraws, my bterPoints were wiped when my withdraw orders kept getting canceled. After contacting them, they said there was no way to just give them back. Then FreeWorm here said of course there was. They wanted me to tell them exactly how many points I had. I guessed the amount and they said "no". Never ended up giving me the bterpoints. Point of the story is, they only have proper bookkeeping records when it benefits them and then deny any accountability outright when it comes to customer being left out to dry. What's funny is, I have the email exchange of a bter rep telling me outright that there is no possible way to just hand back bterPoints, and the system isn't able to do it and then FreeWorm coming on here and stating the opposite. It reminded me of that John Grisham book about the insurance companies who automatically denied any original claim submitted and then only attempt to settle the ones that put pressure on them.

I will not use cryptsy. Playing dumb because they most likely cashed out their BTSX is not very inspiring to become a user.  Plus, I don't think them adding BTSX will do any favor for the users here. It will spread a lighter volume across the exchanges. While it will make the price feeds be a little more decentralized with another player, it will also make the price less stable as other exchanges experience less liquidity. It's not like all of a sudden BTSX will show up in cryptsy that wasn't going to bter or btc38 or another exchange.

I have only used bter 2 times since that happened and probably won't ever again. I am waiting for a direct BTSX to dollars exchange. A coinbase like gateway for BTSX.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:11:16 pm by skyscraperfarms »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
You should search the forum and find some old posts of bigvern stating that they wont honor pts ... what i read here feels like a lie

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
If they support the community and give the users their btsx that should have it of course, but if not I can not support a exchange that is pleading ignorance for stealing from our members.

I think this is a simple case where they thought they were going to rip off a alt coin that would amount to nothing and oh look gee wiz these guys have some  good ideas and hey look they may have some real potential. We talk about DAC's honoring the social contract to gain the support of the community,  how can we ask that of a DAC if we won't support our own members who were stolen from?

Talk is cheap, they have records and a blockchain I am sure they COULD make it right. P.S. I did not have funds on cryptsy

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
of course! it's never to late!

PS they can include their customers on the first snapshot even now. Except they have used allready their customer's BTSX to have a good time...

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano

So love the concept of Bitshares! But as you can see we have yet to add it as an option since we could not credit the customers from the first snapshot.

I mean should we at this point? I get requests for bitshares and all the variations we just have not felt right adding them after the missed snapshot.

Of course. Win/win situation.

Btw, if they do proper bookkeeping it should not be a problem for them to find out who owned what at the time of the snapshot and credit PTS holders properly.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline feedthemcake

• View Profile
From a BitcoinTalk thread earlier today:

The proto-shares Bitshares thing for us was a mess. I mean snapshots were a new concept at the time. Cryptsy was hit by the wall street journal article rush 5000 new customers a day at that time. Support was swamped we could not hire fast enough! When we were contacted the time frame to implement was just to short. The only fair thing we decided we could do was announce that we would not be participating and that folks would have to withdraw.

I finally met Daniel Larimer at inside Bitcoin in NY where he broke it all down and I expressed to him that if only we could have gotten together sooner...

*One additional note if your a developer to properly integrate a massive coin/wallet change and ensure security we need more than 24/48 hours.

Link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=810399.msg9075358#msg9075358

I was successful in withdrawing 45 btc from them that wasn't mine.
Believe it or not I gave it back as I saw the troll box start getting filled with users saying their balance was negative.
They did pay a 4 btc reward to me so good on them there but I haven't used them since.

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
From a BitcoinTalk thread earlier today:

The proto-shares Bitshares thing for us was a mess. I mean snapshots were a new concept at the time. Cryptsy was hit by the wall street journal article rush 5000 new customers a day at that time. Support was swamped we could not hire fast enough! When we were contacted the time frame to implement was just to short. The only fair thing we decided we could do was announce that we would not be participating and that folks would have to withdraw.

I finally met Daniel Larimer at inside Bitcoin in NY where he broke it all down and I expressed to him that if only we could have gotten together sooner...

*One additional note if your a developer to properly integrate a massive coin/wallet change and ensure security we need more than 24/48 hours.

Link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=810399.msg9075358#msg9075358
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 12:08:49 pm by nomoreheroes7 »