Author Topic: Does it make sense to sell BTSX to buy PTS before the music DAC is snapshoted?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
https://www.cryptonator.com/
+5% I love this piece of software, the only thing you have to be careful of is it doesn't allow you to pick the exchanges it pulls prices from so they aren't always a 100% accurate.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Thom

My play here would only be at most 5000 BTSX. So I'm sitting here doing a google search trying to find a website that provides the cost of PTS, BTSX and BTC relative to USD or at least BTC, but haven't found such a site.

I presume the reason you don't see prices for cryptocurrencies listed individually in USD is due to the lack of direct buy gateways?

How many PTS could I buy with 5000 BTSX?

I know, I know. Pretty basic and simple question I should already know the answer to. My VM with my wallet needs to be started and synced, and probably updated to the latest client version, but it didn't have price quotes built in yet anyways, last I looked.

From looking at bter it appears 5000 BTSX would buy roughly 43 PTS. I see BTC at $349, not $300 as reported in another thread here less than an hour ago.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:03:25 pm by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
PTS will give u shares in Music,Lotto,Play, ME etc..

BTSX will give you shares to future releases that are deriving from BTSX. Not yet announced any, but I would think better implementation of the whole Banking thing of BTSX. Perhaps, margin trading, leverage, forex etc..So imagine BTSY,BTSFX etc...

Offline Thom

Thanks to everyone that posted, most insightful.

However, I'm surprised none of your posts mentioned anything about the benefit of PTS dividends that will arise from the Music DAC (too late for DNS :'(). What is the difference in dividends between BTSX and PTS going forward? This is my main reason for wanting PTS, but if the general perception is BTSX will pay a similar portion of shares for future DACs the difference is the only reason for diversification. After all, they're both a member of the BitShares ecosystem, even if they are separate animals.

And since the Music DAC snapshot is going to take place in less than two hrs, I need your input quick!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:21:23 pm by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
It made sense before the MUSIC DAC was announced.  But now PTS is up ~50% since the announcement.  So you would be getting a lot less PTS now. 

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
And on top of that there's the PTS --> DPOS-DAC changes coming up by year end. Just not sure what makes sense now. I probably should have split my BTC into both PTS and BTSX rather than only BTSX?

You thoughts on this most welcome...

It is a tough call. I think btsx has more upside given it is more developed and more ready for adoption.  And there is a conference going on.  Who knows? It could come in a big wave.  If history is to repeat, PTS would start sliding down soon and would go down a lot more after the snapshot. 
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
Normally I would say yes, however keep in mind the Vegas conference. As BM told there won't be any announcements but at least I'm waiting until after October 7th

Huge opportunity for us, I expect some major long term wins being formed during that conference.
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline Cryptofreakoutlaw31

• View Profile
It is a hard decision!

Faced similar one today... should I sell some BTSX to buy undervalued shares in the KeyID DNS. (I have No BTC, all new BTC coming from fiat in 4-5 days)
... chose not too, but only time will tell...

Just look at it as choosing between good and better...

I was up about 150% on one of my alt coin investments so I decided to take some BTC profit by selling part of that alt coin investment.  After, I claimed my DNS shares from the 8-21-2014 snapshot, I used about 80% of the BTC profit proceeds from the sale of one of my alt coin investments to buy DNS (bought at average cost of 399 sat/DNS) to add to my DNS balance and the remaining 10% to buy more BTSX.  I am happy with this move. 

As for BTC, I did buy some BTC from Coinbase over a week ago when the $ price was at $380 but it was only $12 worth.  I am also earning BTC from the faucets on a weekly basis.  The BTC that I earn from the various internet faucets will go to my personal bitcoin software wallet and the $12 worth of BTC that I recently purchased with $ and currently have on coinbase will be "spent" mainly on buying DNS and for possibly buying more BTSX if it goes down from current levels. 

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
Normally I would say yes, however keep in mind the Vegas conference. As BM told there won't be any announcements but at least I'm waiting until after October 7th
DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
No easy answer.  BTSX fell to under pts/ags snapshot price after launch so it may make more sense to wait until after launch.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
It is a hard decision!

Faced similar one today... should I sell some BTSX to buy undervalued shares in the KeyID DNS. (I have No BTC, all new BTC coming from fiat in 4-5 days)
... chose not too, but only time will tell...

Just look at it as choosing between good and better...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 02:45:25 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Mysto

• View Profile

Offline Thom

And on top of that there's the PTS --> DPOS-DAC changes coming up by year end. Just not sure what makes sense now. I probably should have split my BTC into both PTS and BTSX rather than only BTSX?

You thoughts on this most welcome...