Author Topic: Create a new wallet export/backup when upgrading to a new version?  (Read 1407 times)

Offline 70231f697a2b3c2b

• View Profile

BTSX Wallet Best Practices and Danger Areas

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8156.0

Thanks!  I found this that looks the most relevant:

2) Do not attempt to restore from an "old backup"
 -  While technically the purpose of a backup is to prevent you from losing funds, the backups at this point in time are there to allow *future versions* to have a hope at recovering all of your funds.  Backups are generated automatically every time you upgrade the wallet.   When you upgrade only use the "most recent" backup.   Generally speaking you shouldn't ever have to dive into a backup file that is older than your last transaction.  While future versions may allow you to recover all of your funds, your transaction history may never quite recover all of the data you may want.

Looks like users don't actually need to backup their wallets every time they upgrade anyway, but even if they do, they are advised only to keep the backup created by the most recent version of the software.

Offline onceuponatime

When upgrading to a new version of the BitSharesX software, what should I do with my existing wallet backup files?

Should I be creating a new wallet backup every time I upgrade to a new version (and if so, do I need to keep backup files created by previous versions of the software)?

BTSX Wallet Best Practices and Danger Areas

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8156.0

Offline jamesc

Here is a reply from Nathan Hourt: our wallet requires no special steps to upgrade, and backups are created periodically automatically and there's no particular need to keep any but the most recent.

Offline 70231f697a2b3c2b

• View Profile
When upgrading to a new version of the BitSharesX software, what should I do with my existing wallet backup files?

Should I be creating a new wallet backup every time I upgrade to a new version (and if so, do I need to keep backup files created by previous versions of the software)?