Author Topic: Overstock.com Assembles Coders to Create a Bitcoin-Like Stock Market  (Read 20133 times)

Offline Riverhead

Quite the shaggy dog story but enjoyable none the less.

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
being turing complete is far bigger than any mining algo etc dumb money would dump it based on a miming algo.. smart money is waiting fir features that matter thrn extrapolate

Imagine someone knocks on your door one day and begin telling you about how amazing this new vaccum is. He tells you it its going to do all these different amazing things.  In fact he has now sold you your own amazing vaccuum. 
So he takes you money, goes to the car, take out a peace of paper and draw said vaccuum.  Then he delivers this to your door:
"We will get this magical vaccuum to you soon" he explains. "It might be completely different from what i described because we havent actually designed anything...but we'll promise that we have the best talent and they will build your magical vaccum.  And we'll get one to you as soon as its completed."

Then he leaves...

Now you are on the forum of another vaccuum manufacturer who actually has released a product that does much of what was promised by your ethereal vaccuum...

You are holding your sheet of paper with the crayon-drawn Magic-vac, waiving it around and telling people this beautiful creation is going to blow their world away. Meanwhile they are using their real, designed, engineered and produced products to do the actual job a sweeper was meant to do.  And you are waiting for your picture to serve you toast and tea.

Look at the crayon on that paper now.  Feel the power of its colored wax and take comfort in the fact that the salesman insisted it will make you supper and do pretty much anything else you want.  Unfortunately...the competition (i3) is actually vaccuming.

So of you are having a hard time with your claims being accepted here. Try rolling up that sheet of paper into a cone. Then speak through the little end with the open end facing us.  And most of all be patient:
..everyone here is busy cleaning house with real, powerful vaccuums that actually exist...and its so powerful that it is very loud.

Real vaccuums make a lot of noise.

enjoyed reading it  :) :)

Offline ticklebiscuit

• View Profile
being turing complete is far bigger than any mining algo etc dumb money would dump it based on a miming algo.. smart money is waiting fir features that matter thrn extrapolate

Imagine someone knocks on your door one day and begin telling you about how amazing this new vaccum is. He tells you it its going to do all these different amazing things.  In fact he has now sold you your own amazing vaccuum. 
So he takes you money, goes to the car, take out a peace of paper and draw said vaccuum.  Then he delivers this to your door:
"We will get this magical vaccuum to you soon" he explains. "It might be completely different from what i described because we havent actually designed anything...but we'll promise that we have the best talent and they will build your magical vaccum.  And we'll get one to you as soon as its completed."

Then he leaves...

Now you are on the forum of another vaccuum manufacturer who actually has released a product that does much of what was promised by your ethereal vaccuum...

You are holding your sheet of paper with the crayon-drawn Magic-vac, waiving it around and telling people this beautiful creation is going to blow their world away. Meanwhile they are using their real, designed, engineered and produced products to do the actual job a sweeper was meant to do.  And you are waiting for your picture to serve you toast and tea.

Look at the crayon on that paper now.  Feel the power of its colored wax and take comfort in the fact that the salesman insisted it will make you supper and do pretty much anything else you want.  Unfortunately...the competition (i3) is actually vaccuming.

So of you are having a hard time with your claims being accepted here. Try rolling up that sheet of paper into a cone. Then speak through the little end with the open end facing us.  And most of all be patient:
..everyone here is busy cleaning house with real, powerful vaccuums that actually exist...and its so powerful that it is very loud.

Real vaccuums make a lot of noise.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:38:45 pm by ticklebiscuit »

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline oco101

• View Profile
This news feels like a bummer, but when I think about it:
  • Them picking NXT would be truly insulting
  • They fight legal issues while BTSX breaks down borders
  • DACs will prevail, and that's why they're not really a competitor
    • Plot twist: Byrne already knows this

I'm not necessarily here for DPOS or a specific DAC. I'm here because BTS will be the best DAC launchpad, and DACs are the future.

What about Ethereum? Hate to burst your bubble, but Ethereum has a WAY greater potential for being the best DAC launchpad considering the amount of funding and momentum behind it....

Etherum as far as I know is POW(dead in the water) , one chain approach ... let see how this think will scale up first then we'll see what is the best approach. By the time Etherum will be out, many Bitsahres will be on the market.

Offline edilliam

I'm not necessarily here for DPOS or a specific DAC. I'm here because BTS will be the best DAC launchpad, and DACs are the future.

What about Ethereum? Hate to burst your bubble, but Ethereum has a WAY greater potential for being the best DAC launchpad considering the amount of funding and momentum behind it....

Sure it has potential, but they haven't launched anything yet. They haven't even decided on a mining algorithm and here we are already running the first DAC and multiple other DACs on the horizon. The longer they delay the more momentum and funding we gain.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
However the question is how strong is the security around the scripts as noone has been able to do it this far and if it grows incentive to break it will to.

I agree.  Many of Ethereum's strengths are also its weaknesses.  Having one big chain that does everything means one big target for malicious attacks.. so if any weaknesses are found in the security of its scripts they could be exploited and cause significant damage.  Obviously this is all conjecture until its released though.
We shall see as intelligent as he is there may be an exploit that someone finds sooner or later...

Offline yellowecho

However the question is how strong is the security around the scripts as noone has been able to do it this far and if it grows incentive to break it will to.

I agree.  Many of Ethereum's strengths are also its weaknesses.  Having one big chain that does everything means one big target for malicious attacks.. so if any weaknesses are found in the security of its scripts they could be exploited and cause significant damage.  Obviously this is all conjecture until its released though.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
The ether is a term to describe where investor funds went  :P
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I blv the biggest thing with ethereum is that its turing complete and that scripts can run loops and other logic as building blocks similar to a calculator that has state.. so computers were formed and thus the internet.. similarily the idea isrhat turing complete scripts open up a gateway of endless possibilities for a new internet... bitcoins scripts are oneshot so offer limited scope.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

Yes, but that's not considering it's economic viability.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline JoeyD

Could you expand on that? I've been trying to figure out what people think is so great about Ethereum, but I have not been able to find anything substantial. To be honest it seems to be mostly people projecting vague desires and fantasies onto the project.

Seeing how bitcoins scripting language is hardly being used, let alone being taxed to its limit, the market for blockchain scripting does not appear to be as popular as speculators seem to think it is. I wonder how many of the supporters of projects like ethereum are actually feeling personally limited by bitcoins scripting language or even tried using it, do they even have a clue what they are buying into?

Would be nice to know what exactly people think extended blockchain scripting will enable other than snakeoil magic-elixir nonsense.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:33:17 am by JoeyD »

Offline Frodo03

• View Profile

Offline Thom

BTS will be the best DAC launchpad, and DACs are the future.

Once someone is a gazillionair from DACs they can do a hostile takeover of OverStock and point their crypto strategy in the right direction.
+5%
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html