Author Topic: Overstock.com Assembles Coders to Create a Bitcoin-Like Stock Market  (Read 20273 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
If i where toast i would burn 10$ worth of btsx ;)

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
$10 says they're gonna use peershares

Has anyone gotten their 10 bitUSD from toast yet?

i think he is in vegas to make it big or go broke, to pay us all 10 bitUSD  :)

Offline roadscape

$10 says they're gonna use peershares

Has anyone gotten their 10 bitUSD from toast yet?
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline matt608

• View Profile
It gives counterparty a moment in the limelight.  Bitshares-X's time to shine is yet to come. 

Offline Riverhead

BTS will be the best DAC launchpad, and DACs are the future.

Once someone is a gazillionair from DACs they can do a hostile takeover of OverStock and point their crypto strategy in the right direction.

Offline roadscape

This news feels like a bummer, but when I think about it:
  • Them picking NXT would be truly insulting
  • They fight legal issues while BTSX breaks down borders
  • DACs will prevail, and that's why they're not really a competitor
    • Plot twist: Byrne already knows this

I'm not necessarily here for DPOS or a specific DAC. I'm here because BTS will be the best DAC launchpad, and DACs are the future.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline ticklebiscuit

• View Profile
what to expect?

in the first announcement both sides Overstock and Counterparty are as far away as possible. So i am thinking they have already problems in their realtionsship.
Medici will not be open source - i could bet on that.
It is nice done from Counterparty to take this big fish.

This is an easy task since xcp is the only 2.0 that doesn't threaten bitcoin and the mining cartels.  How many moves ahead is byrnes and team thinking in this game of chess?

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
what to expect?

in the first announcement both sides Overstock and Counterparty are as far away as possible. So i am thinking they have already problems in their realtionsship.
Medici will not be open source - i could bet on that.
It is nice done from Counterparty to take this big fish.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
is there anything keeping them from "upgrading" counterparty's tech in some way that xcp is no longer really counterparty...and then keeping the name for brand recognition?
technically that's nothing more than 100% airdop on XCP using i.e. DPOS .. however, they need to find community consensus amongst counterparty users ..
once overstook is in .. that might be close to impossible (IMHO)

Offline fuzzy

This is what PhantomPhreak (Adam Krellenstein) wrote here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=395761.msg9115341#msg9115341 :
Everybody, there is an enormous amount of misinformation going around in the press. We're working to fix that ASAP. In the meantime, please help us correct errors as you see them!

For the record:

1) Overstock.com and Counterparty are partnering to build a platform (Medici) for trading stocks on Counterparty and using Counterparty's decentralized exchange.

2) I, along with Ouziel (JahPowerBit), will continue working on the Counterparty protocol full-time. Robby and Evan will continue to work on Counterparty full-time because Medici is a front-end for Counterparty.

The Wired and Coindesk articles make it sound as though we are abandoning this project. Nothing could be further from the truth!

Thank you,
Adam

I think this is good news for our community, as Bytemaster pointed out in this thread, Counterparty platform is too slow and transactions cost is too high to be a real competitor for BitSharesX. The work on the legal side they are going to do should benefit entire crypto finance industry.

is there anything keeping them from "upgrading" counterparty's tech in some way that xcp is no longer really counterparty...and then keeping the name for brand recognition?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:47:42 pm by theFu.. »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline valzav

• View Profile
This is what PhantomPhreak (Adam Krellenstein) wrote here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=395761.msg9115341#msg9115341 :
Everybody, there is an enormous amount of misinformation going around in the press. We're working to fix that ASAP. In the meantime, please help us correct errors as you see them!

For the record:

1) Overstock.com and Counterparty are partnering to build a platform (Medici) for trading stocks on Counterparty and using Counterparty's decentralized exchange.

2) I, along with Ouziel (JahPowerBit), will continue working on the Counterparty protocol full-time. Robby and Evan will continue to work on Counterparty full-time because Medici is a front-end for Counterparty.

The Wired and Coindesk articles make it sound as though we are abandoning this project. Nothing could be further from the truth!

Thank you,
Adam

I think this is good news for our community, as Bytemaster pointed out in this thread, Counterparty platform is too slow and transactions cost is too high to be a real competitor for BitSharesX. The work on the legal side they are going to do should benefit entire crypto finance industry.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
can they not do identical "mistakes" with bitshares?

edit:
PS  sometimes I wish we had a name like ebay.shares   :P
lol

you CAN by bitcoin.shares in bitshares ... it's called bitBTC  ;D

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

reminds me of darkcoin going crazy because people think it's related to darkwallet :)

Oh is THAT why Darkcoin made that big move up?  I never knew.  I just sold my darkcoin and bought bitshares when it happened. :D
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
the spikes in "counterparty" are like the twitter mistake on the exchanges. just some people buying without understanding anything.
reminds me of darkcoin going crazy because people think it's related to darkwallet :)

can they not do identical "mistakes" with bitshares?

edit:
PS  sometimes I wish we had a name like ebay.shares   :P
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:22:50 pm by liondani »