Author Topic: Is the set of market pegged assets fixed?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Thanks xeroc - I will use the help command from now on :P

Im not personally going to create a market issued asset - like I said Im of the opinion that the community should come to a consensus before someone does that.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
You can create new market-pegged assets. The genesis block just reserved some.

Thanks for clarifying, but when you say "you", who/how exactly is that done ?

Either its done by a centralized party (like the genesis.json file), or its done by voting, or its done by paying a fee like the user issued assets. But that option doesnt seem quite right for market-pegged assets.

Code: [Select]
(wallet closed) >>> help wallet_asset_create
Usage:
wallet_asset_create <symbol> <asset_name> <issuer_name> [description] [data] [maximum_share_supply] [precision] [is_market_issued]   Creates a new user issued asset
Creates a new user issued asset

Parameters:
  symbol (asset_symbol, required): the ticker symbol for the new asset
  asset_name (string, required): the name of the asset
  issuer_name (string, required): the name of the issuer of the asset
  description (string, optional, defaults to ""): a description of the asset
  data (json_variant, optional, defaults to null): arbitrary data attached to the asset
  maximum_share_supply (real_amount, optional, defaults to 1000000000000000): the maximum number of shares of the asset
  precision (int64_t, optional, defaults to 1000000): defines where the decimal should be displayed, must be a power of 10
  is_market_issued (bool, optional, defaults to false): creation of a new BitAsset that is created by shorting

Returns:
  transaction_record

please keep in mind that assets CANNOT be changed after creation ... (maybe the devs will allow this later IF nothing is issued yet)
so familiarize yourself with the parameters and get the numbers right .. you only have one shot!

Offline speedy

• View Profile

Either its done by a centralized party (like the genesis.json file), or its done by voting, or its done by paying a fee like the user issued assets. But that option doesnt seem quite right for market-pegged assets.

you could do it with the wallet. you have to pay ruffly 200k BTSX to create a new asset.

Oh I see so there already is a command to do it? That high fee sounds just about right to filter out spam.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

you could do it with the wallet. you have to pay ruffly 200k BTSX to create a new asset.

Offline speedy

• View Profile

Offline Rune

• View Profile
How would bitGOOG handle GOOG dividends or stock splits? The amount of bitGOOG would either go to zero, or decouple from the peg. Even a bitasset pegged to a stock that does neither of those will always have the added risk of it happening in the future priced into it, breaking the peg. Market pegging only makes sense economically for commodities as far as I can tell.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
Market pegged assets were specified in genesis.json, which kind of implies that the set of market pegged assets are fixed and cannot be changed.

If that isnt the case, would extra market pegged assets be another hard-fork of the blockchain? Or would there be a new command for issuing pegged assets like there is for user issued assets?

This is has implications for whether BitGOOG and stocks go on a separate blockchain or not. The wiki page talks about "varieties" of BitShares X - is that still the plan?
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares_X

I personally think loading as many market pegged assets onto the X chain as it can handle would be better for the network effect.