Author Topic: Is the marketing execution in English happening?  (Read 12075 times)

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
And it seems to me that in the cryptoworld, people are very ready to change : the network effect is clearly not the same as for IRL objects. You can't change your samsung into an Iphone, so once you bought it, you're fucked. It's not the same at all for cryptos. People have no reason to be faithful.

I think you are underestimating the extent to which people treat their choice of crypto as a religion.   For most bitcoiners, bitcoin is the way, the truth, and the light, and everything else is a shitcoin scam. 

Network effect and being first matters.

For this reason, I think the bitshares marketing plan to market to and onboard new people who ARENT currently interested in any crypto is an excellent one!  If they can successfully get a lot of new people who currently know nothing about crypto to look at and use bitUSD and buy BTSX, then we will be in great shape!

Here is my own theory as to why people treat bitcoin like a religion
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9819.msg128129#msg128129
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
And it seems to me that in the cryptoworld, people are very ready to change : the network effect is clearly not the same as for IRL objects. You can't change your samsung into an Iphone, so once you bought it, you're fucked. It's not the same at all for cryptos. People have no reason to be faithful.

I think you are underestimating the extent to which people treat their choice of crypto as a religion.   For most bitcoiners, bitcoin is the way, the truth, and the light, and everything else is a shitcoin scam. 

Network effect and being first matters.

For this reason, I think the bitshares marketing plan to market to and onboard new people who ARENT currently interested in any crypto is an excellent one!  If they can successfully get a lot of new people who currently know nothing about crypto to look at and use bitUSD and buy BTSX, then we will be in great shape!

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
Network effect doesn't happen in days. It happens in months or even years, and the bitshares marketing plan will happen in this timeframe.

And it seems to me that in the cryptoworld, people are very ready to change : the network effect is clearly not the same as for IRL objects. You can't change your samsung into an Iphone, so once you bought it, you're fucked. It's not the same at all for cryptos. People have no reason to be faithful. Owning bitcoins is clearly not as engaging as owning shares : you can transfer all your bitcoins into bitshares overnight, and you will have no awkward social interaction with a banker that will claim he has always been asking for your best interest.

Money flow free in the new world that is built here, and I bet that it will pour to the best solution.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Rune

• View Profile
It's crazy how so many people here have no patience at all. If you believe in the superiority of bitshares technology, why the hell are you losing your mind over nubits or overstock ? They won't reach billions overnight.

The marketing plan sketched in the dev hangout seems brilliant. We've been told countless times that we need to wait for 1.0 + direct buy from USD.

No one knows if critical mass will go to the best technology, or simply the first okay technology that doesn't fuck up. Network effect, baby. One of the sad things we will see is probably that nubits will be implemented and gain widespread use on OB before bitUSD. OB airdrop and marketing is something that has to be done within a certain time to ensure bitUSD becomes widely used there, IMO, since decentralized trustless trade is really where a decentralized peg is the most useful, and OB looks as if it will be "it" regarding decentralized trade.

Offline fuzzy

Can we get an update for the bitsapphire web wallet?  That is very significant for a lot of users.

I think cass's updated wallet design is what you're really waiting for. I have a suspicion bitsapphire won't deliver for a while.

Do you have any more info you'd be willing to share? Is it just an update of the QT client or something new altogether?

I am pretty sure it is supposed to be a mobile phone wallet or a web-wallet...not sure which, but I know they are focusing hard on the mobile aspect of this tech.

Imho this should be #1 priority and will market bitUSD and bitASssets for us.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
It's crazy how so many people here have no patience at all. If you believe in the superiority of bitshares technology, why the hell are you losing your mind over nubits or overstock ? They won't reach billions overnight.

The marketing plan sketched in the dev hangout seems brilliant. We've been told countless times that we need to wait for 1.0 + direct buy from USD.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
Can we get an update for the bitsapphire web wallet?  That is very significant for a lot of users.

I think cass's updated wallet design is what you're really waiting for. I have a suspicion bitsapphire won't deliver for a while.

Do you have any more info you'd be willing to share? Is it just an update of the QT client or something new altogether?
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Thanks to the devs and marketing team for the updates!

I think we are all just getting impatient, sitting here watching NuBits come out and have great volume, seeing bitUSD volume shrink as bytemaster makes changes to the market engine, watching the BTSX price decline and not keep up with bitcoin's rise this week, etc.   

We are ready for some good news. :)

Offline Riverhead

Sounds fantastic! Onramps are the best use of resources at this point. Where do you sign up for this newsletter?

Have you subscribed here? http://bitshares.org/stay-tuned/

Honestly didn't know it existed. Renaming it from "stay tuned" to "newsletter" would help others I'm sure.

I'm not sure if that's the official news letter sign up. I forget how I got on the newsletter list. Perhaps when I donated to a founding address.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
There are some great ideas in this thread!

On the marketing end I can reveal a little of what we have been up to.... it's important to note, in order to see the biggest growth in BitSharesX user base, and market cap, is to successfully bring in hundreds of thousands of new investors who have not yet made the leap to any crypto-currencies, Bitcoin included. For the non-technical, even Bitcoin is still difficult to purchase. Which remains a huge barrier to entry to getting newbies into the wonderful world of crypto, even when they already want to.

Solving this issue means hurdling some pretty large technical and communication issues. Which we've done and it's being built now. Tying the launch of this campaign to an event or BitSharesX announcement is a great idea, but (1) we're more interested in the larger pool of people currently OUTSIDE the crypto world and (2) we will most likely launch this as soon as we possibly can.
+5% ..
Could you clarify your relations to bitsharesX and the team? are you with Brian?

From this month's newsletter:

Western Business Development and Marketing – by Brian Page

The Western Hemisphere business development and marketing team (Brian, Max, Michael, Susan, Julian and Gregory) has been in talks with a half dozen companies that offer fiat to crypto-currency services.  Once a partnership is finalized, customers will have the ability to go from USD to BTSX as well as USD to bitUSD, directly.  This new service will allow anyone to purchase using a debit card, credit card or wire transfer. There will no longer be any need to own any Bitcoin, go to an exchange, or jump through hoops.  Getting involved in BitShares will be as simple as any other online purchase.

In addition, the marketing team is working to set up sms payments technology. Users will be able to buy BTSX or bitUSD directly from their cell phone, billed to their mobile provider.  This new "on ramp" will completely bypass needing to go through Bitcoin and will greatly simplify what is today a complicated process of acquiring BTSX/bitUSD.

Marketing is also working along with our resident designer, Cass, to redesign the BitSharesX user interface.   The goal is a more user friendly GUI which will make BitSharesX more intuitive for the average person [or even marketers].  When complete, the GUI will be more in line with leading online stock trading software programs.  Our benchmark is no longer a "wallet" but the leading financial software of more traditional companies.

Sounds fantastic! Onramps are the best use of resources at this point. Where do you sign up for this newsletter?
http://bitshares.org/stay-tuned/
I think this is the one he is referring to. I signed up for it before and received a few but this last one being referred to by Stan I never got so I re-signed up and the system said they had my addy so let's see how it goes.

As to the "B" thing. I for one have been very back and fourth as to how I feel about him, as a mrkt dir. In the beginning I was very out spoken about how I felt the team missed some obvious low cost marketing opportunities.  I think that the fact that we get many users that come here and some that are here that still don't understand how pts,ags, DACs and how bitUSD ties together is evidence that we have some room to grow in this area.

With the above being said I feel I3 has a plan and they are keeping it under wraps for obvious reasons.
1. get the gui to work like it should (almost done when 1.0 comes around)
2. one on one partnerships with companies providing a variety of services (I am guessing but most seem to have taken place and it seems to be in the final phases)
3. mass blitz marketing, this will most likely combine with the timing of one and two for the biggest effect humanly possible I am hoping that this includes everything from banners on popular websites to a complete media frenzy of interviews with one or two high cost fresh marketing ideas. 

Either way I think they deserve some rope, they look at CMC. They see other projects copying their ideas they know we got to get this right the first time and it must be quickly. I will also say that  once 1.0 is launched their should be no real reason to hold back and I will be one of the first to raise them to the air in triumph or call for Brain to be burned at the stake(nothing personal you seem like a great guy :) ).

I think it will be triumph.   

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Honestly didn't know it existed. Renaming it from "stay tuned" to "newsletter" would help others I'm sure.

Offline Riverhead

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
There are some great ideas in this thread!

On the marketing end I can reveal a little of what we have been up to.... it's important to note, in order to see the biggest growth in BitSharesX user base, and market cap, is to successfully bring in hundreds of thousands of new investors who have not yet made the leap to any crypto-currencies, Bitcoin included. For the non-technical, even Bitcoin is still difficult to purchase. Which remains a huge barrier to entry to getting newbies into the wonderful world of crypto, even when they already want to.

Solving this issue means hurdling some pretty large technical and communication issues. Which we've done and it's being built now. Tying the launch of this campaign to an event or BitSharesX announcement is a great idea, but (1) we're more interested in the larger pool of people currently OUTSIDE the crypto world and (2) we will most likely launch this as soon as we possibly can.
+5% ..
Could you clarify your relations to bitsharesX and the team? are you with Brian?

From this month's newsletter:

Western Business Development and Marketing – by Brian Page

The Western Hemisphere business development and marketing team (Brian, Max, Michael, Susan, Julian and Gregory) has been in talks with a half dozen companies that offer fiat to crypto-currency services.  Once a partnership is finalized, customers will have the ability to go from USD to BTSX as well as USD to bitUSD, directly.  This new service will allow anyone to purchase using a debit card, credit card or wire transfer. There will no longer be any need to own any Bitcoin, go to an exchange, or jump through hoops.  Getting involved in BitShares will be as simple as any other online purchase.

In addition, the marketing team is working to set up sms payments technology. Users will be able to buy BTSX or bitUSD directly from their cell phone, billed to their mobile provider.  This new "on ramp" will completely bypass needing to go through Bitcoin and will greatly simplify what is today a complicated process of acquiring BTSX/bitUSD.

Marketing is also working along with our resident designer, Cass, to redesign the BitSharesX user interface.   The goal is a more user friendly GUI which will make BitSharesX more intuitive for the average person [or even marketers].  When complete, the GUI will be more in line with leading online stock trading software programs.  Our benchmark is no longer a "wallet" but the leading financial software of more traditional companies.