Author Topic: Is the marketing execution in English happening?  (Read 12036 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
There are some great ideas in this thread!

On the marketing end I can reveal a little of what we have been up to.... it's important to note, in order to see the biggest growth in BitSharesX user base, and market cap, is to successfully bring in hundreds of thousands of new investors who have not yet made the leap to any crypto-currencies, Bitcoin included. For the non-technical, even Bitcoin is still difficult to purchase. Which remains a huge barrier to entry to getting newbies into the wonderful world of crypto, even when they already want to.

Solving this issue means hurdling some pretty large technical and communication issues. Which we've done and it's being built now. Tying the launch of this campaign to an event or BitSharesX announcement is a great idea, but (1) we're more interested in the larger pool of people currently OUTSIDE the crypto world and (2) we will most likely launch this as soon as we possibly can.
+5% ..
Could you clarify your relations to bitsharesX and the team? are you with Brian?

From this month's newsletter:

Western Business Development and Marketing – by Brian Page

The Western Hemisphere business development and marketing team (Brian, Max, Michael, Susan, Julian and Gregory) has been in talks with a half dozen companies that offer fiat to crypto-currency services.  Once a partnership is finalized, customers will have the ability to go from USD to BTSX as well as USD to bitUSD, directly.  This new service will allow anyone to purchase using a debit card, credit card or wire transfer. There will no longer be any need to own any Bitcoin, go to an exchange, or jump through hoops.  Getting involved in BitShares will be as simple as any other online purchase.

In addition, the marketing team is working to set up sms payments technology. Users will be able to buy BTSX or bitUSD directly from their cell phone, billed to their mobile provider.  This new "on ramp" will completely bypass needing to go through Bitcoin and will greatly simplify what is today a complicated process of acquiring BTSX/bitUSD.

Marketing is also working along with our resident designer, Cass, to redesign the BitSharesX user interface.   The goal is a more user friendly GUI which will make BitSharesX more intuitive for the average person [or even marketers].  When complete, the GUI will be more in line with leading online stock trading software programs.  Our benchmark is no longer a "wallet" but the leading financial software of more traditional companies.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

On the marketing end I can reveal a little of what we have been up to.... it's important to note, in order to see the biggest growth in BitSharesX user base, and market cap, is to successfully bring in hundreds of thousands of new investors who have not yet made the leap to any crypto-currencies, Bitcoin included. For the non-technical, even Bitcoin is still difficult to purchase. Which remains a huge barrier to entry to getting newbies into the wonderful world of crypto, even when they already want to.

Solving this issue means hurdling some pretty large technical and communication issues. Which we've done and it's being built now. Tying the launch of this campaign to an event or BitSharesX announcement is a great idea, but (1) we're more interested in the larger pool of people currently OUTSIDE the crypto world and (2) we will most likely launch this as soon as we possibly can.
+5% ..
Could you clarify your relations to bitsharesX and the team? are you with Brian?

Offline julian

• View Profile

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
I'm pretty new and I have searched YouTube and found a lot of stuff on bitshares. I have been listening to the hangouts that Dan does too since I can't make it to be there myself. All in all I am really glad to see what they have so far.  Now that delegates are running maybe they will help advertise too?

I have been kind of sad to see that bitshares doesn't seem to be talked about on ltb very much though...which is where I get a lot of my information.  Being number 4 in the first couple !months definitely brought my interest back to this project. Why does ltb seem so uninterested?

Not trying to sound disrespectful..but it was you who taught me about bitcoin so I thought you would be lining up with the best tech with fair models and helping us learn about them too. Maybe do some episodes like "let's talk bitshares"? I read somewhere you get paid by delegates from btsx so maybe it would be a good idea to use those talents to give back! Maybe I read wrong though so sorry if so...but either way bitshares is amazing!

Great points BTW Adam.
  +5%
I am curious about answer too, I hope it is not Adam's ego.  :)

Offline metalallen

• View Profile

Our news releases are getting 10,000 hits already.

I'm sorry, where are the news? :o

bitcoinmagazine.com/16972/exclusive-interview-bitshares/
this one?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 05:10:25 am by metalallen »
浮壹白的微博:http://weibo.com/u/2279693077
BTSX Account:metalallen

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
It hasn't been a secret.
We've told you the plan in forum and newsletter and mumble and blog form.

Recapping:

(If you have strayed across any of this material you have already noticed how Dan's smiling face seems to follow you around to every website you visit.)
We are reaching out to the crypto community with speeches, and posts, and educational videos.
But there is too much noise and partisanship in that channel.
There are few there with ears to hear right now. 
There is no way that those with ears haven't heard by now.

So the big push starts when we have our commercial grade consumer sign-up funnel in place.
It will on-board anybody that comes through the funnel with the complete capability to buy, save, and spend bitUSD.
It will train those who have barely heard of Satoshi's Bitcoin all about "Daniel's bitcoin" - bitUSD.
Then we will turn on our *awesome* ability to route eyeballs into that funnel.
We are not going to route eyeballs there until we can permanently capture them.
When we do capture them, our market cap will sit securely at the number two spot.
Then the crypto community will take a second look for the first time.
Then value will begin to flow from Satoshi's crypto checking into Daniel's crypto savings.
Then bitUSD will be number one on coin market cap.

And that's not even counting an independently conceived and equally brilliant plan to accomplish the same thing by the China team.

how can bitUSD will be number one on coin market cap when BTSX is twice the market cap than BitUSD at any given time(theory of how to issue a BitUSD) ?

Er, good point, BTSX will be number zero?   :)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
It hasn't been a secret.
We've told you the plan in forum and newsletter and mumble and blog form.

Recapping:

(If you have strayed across any of this material you have already noticed how Dan's smiling face seems to follow you around to every website you visit.)
We are reaching out to the crypto community with speeches, and posts, and educational videos.
But there is too much noise and partisanship in that channel.
There are few there with ears to hear right now. 
There is no way that those with ears haven't heard by now.

So the big push starts when we have our commercial grade consumer sign-up funnel in place.
It will on-board anybody that comes through the funnel with the complete capability to buy, save, and spend bitUSD.
It will train those who have barely heard of Satoshi's Bitcoin all about "Daniel's bitcoin" - bitUSD.
Then we will turn on our *awesome* ability to route eyeballs into that funnel.
We are not going to route eyeballs there until we can permanently capture them.
When we do capture them, our market cap will sit securely at the number two spot.
Then the crypto community will take a second look for the first time.
Then value will begin to flow from Satoshi's crypto checking into Daniel's crypto savings.
Then bitUSD will be number one on coin market cap.

And that's not even counting an independently conceived and equally brilliant plan to accomplish the same thing by the China team.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 05:05:04 am by Stan »

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
After having spent a few days with some of the developers, mainly Toast and Nathan, I believe the marketing plan is real, big, and well thought out. I didn't get specifics obviously but the general feeling I got from the folks I met was that there is a lot brewing. There is also a lot of work going on with respects to the client, market mechanics, and payment processors.

Question for Methodx: You've done a lot of online marketing in the last seven years. When doing a big campaign for a product that also has a public forum do you lay out your plans as you make them, keep them close to your vest until they're ready, or some combination of the two? What sort of information do you think would be safe to share yet not let the cat out of the bag? Is there a cat? A bag? I know nothing about marketing online or otherwise.

I see your point. When preparing a campaign you don't show your hand until the very end. My problem so far has been with the lack of basic marketing. I hope my intuition is wrong and they do have a decent strategy though; I've just never been one for faith.

Offline Riverhead

After having spent a few days with some of the developers, mainly Toast and Nathan, I believe the marketing plan is real, big, and well thought out. I didn't get specifics obviously but the general feeling I got from the folks I met was that there is a lot brewing. There is also a lot of work going on with respects to the client, market mechanics, and payment processors.

Question for Methodx: You've done a lot of online marketing in the last seven years. When doing a big campaign for a product that also has a public forum do you lay out your plans as you make them, keep them close to your vest until they're ready, or some combination of the two? What sort of information do you think would be safe to share yet not let the cat out of the bag? Is there a cat? A bag? I know nothing about marketing online or otherwise.

Offline johncitizen

• View Profile
From previous activity I would believe Adam may be correct but now they do appear to have a concise plan. Its not exactly shared with us, more of a "trust me its good" approach. Generally when a coin pulls this attitude with software I sell hard.

I like transparency as do we all. When things aren't clear it is usually a negative indicator. The marketing plan I have in my head pieced together from scraps of data does sound truly spectacular. Maybe its our christmas present?

Offline fuzzy

they have in the past confused marketing with bizdev.  Talking to important people one at a time to find synergies and make deals is totally great and necessary, but that's not marketing. 

+5%  I agree.  It seems like there is more business development than true marketing happening with BTSX.

While I agree that it is more business development, I see that as a good thing because the products are not yet ready for mass adoption which would call for real marketing.

Well I suppose they really did decide to go the opposite direction than ethereum
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline onceuponatime

they have in the past confused marketing with bizdev.  Talking to important people one at a time to find synergies and make deals is totally great and necessary, but that's not marketing. 

+5%  I agree.  It seems like there is more business development than true marketing happening with BTSX.

While I agree that it is more business development, I see that as a good thing because the products are not yet ready for mass adoption which would call for real marketing.