Author Topic: Should DAC distributions to PTS holders depend also on time held?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
OK that seems fairly unanimous. As you say, the free market can handle it, and if longer term holders want to exploit the movements, that's always within their power as well.

Offline Riverhead

That reminds me, I need to move mine. Music snapshot is in nine hours :D

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
When people buy into PTS before a snapshot they are leaving other positions, or not increasing other positions, to do so. I feel the free market can best handle this. There are times I move my PTS around for various reasons (aggregate mining revenue, refresh private keys for fresh backups, doing some day trading, etc.)

I can understand the desire to reward those with the buy and hold faith in Protoshares but I think that role is filled by AGS.
I tend to agree with riverhead

Me too. I always move my PTS to new private keys after each snapshot for security reasons; if snapshots were based on coin-days instead of merely coins, it would penalize my wise security precautions :)

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
When people buy into PTS before a snapshot they are leaving other positions, or not increasing other positions, to do so. I feel the free market can best handle this. There are times I move my PTS around for various reasons (aggregate mining revenue, refresh private keys for fresh backups, doing some day trading, etc.)

I can understand the desire to reward those with the buy and hold faith in Protoshares but I think that role is filled by AGS.
I tend to agree with riverhead

Offline Riverhead

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
Around every new DAC snapshot there is pump before the snapshot and a dump after that is arguably excessive and driven by speculators aiming to purely to get shares in the latest DAC. Would a distribution based both on stake and time held lead to less volatility and rotation in PTS shares?

The argument against this is that maybe to a large extent the price changes in PTS are warranted, because as a new DAC snapshot approaches, and the DAC concept is presented in more detail, arguably its attributed valuation increases, and conversely after the snapshot the PTS value should fall by the value of the new DAC distribution. Yet it does seem at least to me the pump and dump is often excessive in the few weeks around a DAC snapshot, given its existence is generally known well in advance.

Maybe in the end its up to the DAC developers?

Any views on this?