Author Topic: Is bitshares ready for a blockchain.info light weight client  (Read 1626 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Taulent from BitSapphire has talked about this on the mumble sessions.  Go to https://soundcloud.com/beyond-bitcoin-hangouts/tracks and look around.  It was one of the shows from the past few weeks.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline JoeyD

I think what eagleeye wants to know is, how long it would take by guesstimation before a blockchain.info type (mobile)wallets can become operational for bitsharesx.

The whole development of the framework needed for lightweight clients, needs to be done first. One of the things that to a non-coder like me, seems to be more favorable for bitshares compared to bitcoin. Is that dpos has the reputation system to find trusted sources in the form of delegate-voting and the delegates themselves and the presumeable nicer codebase to work with, seeing as it was purpose built to be a toolkit for others to use.

So speculating on how dpos will end up working, one of the current delegates or several of them will have to become the bitshares equivalent of blockchain.info and do the coding themselves. Of course if webwallets were part of the bitshares-toolkit design from the start, the essential parts for building them might be a lot closer to being finished and that would shorten the required time for mobile/light client webwallets considerably.

And the 8 - 12 months number, seems to be the average for projects on bitcoin from inception to actual working implementations for bitcoin-core devs. But even then something like multi-sig for example, arguably one of bitcoins most needed features, is still not supported by blockchain.info, despite being conceived as part of bitcoins design many years ago.

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
Ive heard from intelligent people it takes 8 - 12 months to build such a thing.  Does it really? 

In my honest opinion this is what is holding bitshares back.  Once this is done bitshares will most likely within 6 - 12 months after we have blockchain.info bug free, be bigger than bitcoin.

Bitsapphire please chim in with how close you are in percentage terms.

Software development is a complex process. Estimations are usually incorrect (assume guestimations). You need first to define what is a "light weight client". Design it within constraints...  I doubt that you'll get the answer you are looking for.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
it takes 2 weeks to build the software needed to interact with SATOSHI clients .. the protocol is called SPV ..
however BitSharesX uses a COMPLETELY new blockchain architecture and thus all the protocols and tools that exist for SATOSHI clients are (almost) worthless here

So how many protocols and tools are we looking at for bitsharesx?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
it takes 2 weeks to build the software needed to interact with SATOSHI clients .. the protocol is called SPV ..
however BitSharesX uses a COMPLETELY new blockchain architecture and thus all the protocols and tools that exist for SATOSHI clients are (almost) worthless here

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Ive heard from intelligent people it takes 8 - 12 months to build such a thing.  Does it really? 

In my honest opinion this is what is holding bitshares back.  Once this is done bitshares will most likely within 6 - 12 months after we have blockchain.info bug free, be bigger than bitcoin.

Bitsapphire please chim in with how close you are in percentage terms.