Author Topic: Should shorts be included with asks, and covers in bids?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline monsterer

In real life I tend to think like you, but in blockchain_market_order_history 'short order' is actually a buy order for BTSX.

Hmmm, and I take it then, cover must be a sell?

Is there any deeper explanation of why this seems to be backwards?
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Well, I ask because looking at blockchain_market_order_history, I've got 'short_order' appearing in 'bid_type', which doesn't make any sense to me, since a short order is a sell order and bid is buy....?

In real life I tend to think like you, but in blockchain_market_order_history 'short order' is actually a buy order for BTSX.
@monsterer: If you get confused by that .. don't blame your self .. I get confused to .. AAAALLLL the time .. ask/bid/sell/buy/quote/base .. puhhh...

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Well, I ask because looking at blockchain_market_order_history, I've got 'short_order' appearing in 'bid_type', which doesn't make any sense to me, since a short order is a sell order and bid is buy....?

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline monsterer

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
When building a site to show the orderbook of a market, should shorts be included with the asks and covers with the bids?
Why not ..
just make sure that you cannot short BTSX .... and as such always cover positions with BTSX!

besides that, the GUI used 4 tables ask,bid,short,cover originally and now has all shorts grouped into one single position in the order book .. when I remember correctly .. (not much of a trader here)

Offline monsterer

When building a site to show the orderbook of a market, should shorts be included with the asks and covers with the bids?