Author Topic: Free college in Germany?  (Read 7499 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
To be honest, i don't think you'll study and live etc. for 2-4 years in germany for 30-40bitEur.. you should min. plan with 1k bitEUR a month ... if you wanna go out sometimes…having some beer ;)

And it depends a lot of the city you want to live and study in ...

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline 70231f697a2b3c2b

• View Profile
Low- or zero-tuition college still isn't free — the amount of time you will devote to this pursuit will (probably) be enormous.

What's your end goal?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:45:33 pm by todofixthis »

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
so as the first answer here from germany

- come and enjoy your stay here

https://www.daad.de/deutschland/in-deutschland/arbeit/en/9148-earning-money/

i am biased but germany is a good choice :D and just choose a international course so most of the studies are in english (german english :D )

maybe choose some city with old US Army Bases like Heidelberg etc. or just Berlin, Munich etc.

i see no need to learn german. it is difficult and not needed for students. if you not to have to deal with old folks you will be fine with english. in some big companies the official company speak is english.

i traveled through Australia after my studies and i enjoyed the different culture. makes you better.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:45:27 pm by Shentist »

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
Come to Russia! Its cheaper and better then Europe!  :)

Also included are - Free trips to Siberia - for those:

a. That do not believe that Eastern Ukraine is part of Russia.
b. Dare to use BTC or  other crypto.

:)  :)

Yea nothing against russia... except the banning of btc and the looking down on homos... sorry man, can't live with that.

EDIT: voting with my feet is part of the motivation to leave the U.S. too

only no one has banned btc (yet) here and no one is looking down on homos (well no more then in any other country).... dont believe the tv mate
btsx - bitsharesrussia

merockstar

Yea nothing against russia... except the banning of btc and the looking down on homos... sorry man, can't live with that.

EDIT: voting with my feet is part of the motivation to leave the U.S. too
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:55:29 am by merockstar »

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
We already discussed that  :)
But as for the reality i will always prefer it here on those 3 and even over NZ  :P
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Free trips to Siberia are always a must! Fresh air and freedom included there. As for the reality it really is better then Europe  :)

Biggest minus is you have to study Russian, as people here dont speak English much

I am fine with the air quality and my 'spoken' Russian needs like 20 to 50 h of practice  :) as for the proper use of all падежы I will never learn them, I guess.

As far as Russia/Europe/US go... I  will still chose Europe over any of the other two.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:49:05 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
Free trips to Siberia are always a must! Fresh air and freedom included there. As for the reality it really is better then Europe  :)

Biggest minus is you have to study Russian, as people here dont speak English much
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
btsx - bitsharesrussia

merockstar

found this in case this thread gets anybody else interested in this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/germany/comments/2i2trw/so_you_want_to_study_undergraduate_in_germany/

almost all my questions are answered now, except for generic "where in germany should I go? whats the best way to learn german? what do you germans think of all this?" type questions.

but after posting all this I realized that if I can save up 20-40 grand to live off of I may as well just go to a community college here.
bah.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:25:59 am by merockstar »

merockstar

15 years ago Germany was the leading option (totally free), but anything is decently priced compared to here...Even Oxford.  I am just saying you are on the right path, and research all options!
I suggested England because you will not need one year or so, of pretty much spending money to learn a language. And indeed Europe is generally an expensive place to live in, much more so than US.
Hope this makes sense.

I guess they've recently gone back to the totally free system (hence all the news coverage). It's not totally free (they call it a semester charge or something I think), but compared to here, yea, free as fuck.

Also, see the edit in my post above about tuition costs in UK. Guess they're high (which defeats the purpose).

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
All Europe is a way better choice college-education-wise (as in money-wise) than US. That's why I am not staying here much longer after my daughter finishes high school....

That said -Why Germany?... 'They' (Europe that is) have a whole country that the only official language is English? That only if you mind learning German (for college), otherwise you will be hard pressed to find people in Germany that do not speak English.

Because Germany has been in the news recently as a good low cost option, and the limited research I've done shows me that northern Germany might be a decent political fit for me.

Also the articles indicate that a visa to study in Germany is pretty easy to get for an American.

Also, dirndls. And beer.

Is England comparable as far as tuition and living expenses go? Is this recent German hype over nothing that isn't available all over Europe anyway? I wouldn't mind learning another language, in fact I'd embrace the challenge.

15 years ago Germany was the leading option (totally free), but anything is decently priced compared to here...Even Oxford.  I am just saying you are on the right path, and research all options!
I suggested England because you will not need one year or so, of pretty much spending money to learn a language. And indeed Europe is generally an expensive place to live in, much more so than US.
Hope this makes sense.

merockstar

All Europe is a way better choice college-education-wise (as in money-wise) than US. That's why I am not staying here much longer after my daughter finishes high school....

That said -Why Germany?... 'They' (Europe that is) have a whole country that the only official language is English? That only if you mind learning German (for college), otherwise you will be hard pressed to find people in Germany that do not speak English.

Because Germany has been in the news recently as a good low cost option, and the limited research I've done shows me that northern Germany might be a decent political fit for me.

Also the articles indicate that a visa to study in Germany is pretty easy to get for an American.

Also, dirndls. And beer.

Is England comparable as far as tuition and living expenses go? Is this recent German hype over nothing that isn't available all over Europe anyway? I wouldn't mind learning another language, in fact I'd embrace the challenge.

EDIT: Indeed, it looks like tuition in England starts around 7000 pounds per semester, plus cost of living. From what I'm reading Germany charges 50-500 EUR per semester.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:04:26 am by merockstar »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:07:47 am by tonyk »