Author Topic: can anyone catch me up on NXT quickly?  (Read 4011 times)

Offline bytemaster

We can always reduce fees in the future...
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
I think there should be cheap btsx user issued assets too, maybe have 2 categories, a premium and a cheap one, the only difference being prominence in the client.

I think that is the point of Bitshares ME

Why have a different DAC for that? I really don't understand the point of that, it just fragments the community and reduces the chance of both DACS to take off and gain network effect.
In the long term I would agree with you. But for right now I think it would cause more confusion and not really benefit anyone to a great extent. Basically what I'm saying is in the short term it would do more damage than good imo.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
I think there should be cheap btsx user issued assets too, maybe have 2 categories, a premium and a cheap one, the only difference being prominence in the client.

Why have a different DAC for that? I really don't understand the point of that, it just fragments the community and reduces the chance of both DACS to take off and gain network effect.

Offline Mysto

• View Profile

Offline Rune

• View Profile

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I see they have a bunch of crypto assets at this site
http://coinmarketcap.com/assets/views/all/

Most of them have low volume, but what are they?

To my knowledge they are planning a reputation system for those who issue assets...but you might want to double check on that because I follow NHZ more closely (a clone of NXT with far better distribution) and it could be them with those plans, or both.   Nick Cote from the Mumble Server is planning on holding an event at some point on our mumble server for the NHZ community so I am sure it would be a good idea to show up when it is announced ;)

Correct, Nxt is planning to build a reputation system for Nxt.

I think the reason Nxt has so many more assets is because of the network effect, Nxt was here first and ignoring the price many are still IPOing there because that's where they've gone top IPO in the past.

So many clones have tried "fairer" distribution.. that was just FUD launched aat NXT by miners.  You want to talk distribution? One person owns 9+%  of Bitshares.

jsidhu, what kind of bad decisions has NXT made?

1) Distribution unfair
2) Low fee for creating assets, too early to allow thousands of assets with no volume (creates illusion of ghost town reducing network affect)
3) This supernet garbage its associated with and the saga that came with it
4) Crappy name IMO (bitcoin just becoming known and people are supposed jump to the "NEXT" coin?)
5) Security and tx times of BTSX using DPOS vs POS is better for btsx... (POS can be hacked easier although to be proven, may happen when incentive is higher). Takes 1440 tx or 24 hours to confirm while alot quicker in btsx. Transparent Forging is not implemented so can't comment on if it is good or bad.. will take up to 6 months to assess after release. TX leasing + forging may make it "just" good enough to be equal to btsx.. but its more complexity for the sake of becoming equal.
6) Secret development and development cycles.. big turn off.

You may argue in 5 that leasing+forging is a secure and decentralized approach to quick transactions.. however btsx is probably more decentralized than bitcoin itself so again decentralization vs centralization cannot be used as a defense for NXT over BTSX.

all in all network affect that you allude to goes to btsx because of the obvious pro's and decisions made which led to a better technology and further decisions extrapolating in a better technology rolling forward, whatever becomes of this space in the near future. If I had a choice I prefer merge-mining POW over POS and DPOS is still unproven, but I believe it is solid enough to justify a product like btsx being put out to test itself against the world of hackz0rs.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:52:39 pm by jsidhu »
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline bytemaster

To my knowledge they are planning a reputation system for those who issue assets...but you might want to double check on that because I follow NHZ more closely (a clone of NXT with far better distribution) and it could be them with those plans, or both.   Nick Cote from the Mumble Server is planning on holding an event at some point on our mumble server for the NHZ community so I am sure it would be a good idea to show up when it is announced ;)

I think the reason Nxt has so many more assets is because of the network effect, Nxt was here first and ignoring the price many are still IPOing there because that's where they've gone top IPO in the past.

So many clones have tried "fairer" distribution.. that was just FUD launched aat NXT by miners.  You want to talk distribution? One person owns 9+%  of Bitshares.

Actually one person does not own 9%+ of BitShares... The 9% voting block you see is comprised of the AGS fund which is being spent (distributed) to fund / grow / increase the value of BitShares  and the stake of several large stakeholders who contributed significant wealth.

Nxt distribution was completely allocated to people who contributed relatively little.  That said, distribution doesn't matter much.  Value maters the most.  Too thin a distribution is actually a problem.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline hughmanwho

• View Profile

Offline gamey

• View Profile
So are they not collateralize?

No they are IOUs

pfft

They can be collateralized though and I believe some claim to be.  It isn't that IOU means they are not collateralized.  The collateral will always be centralized with something like NXT assets.  The collateral may not really exist, or bet there when requested but NXT assets can be collateralized.  I hate to say it, but even BTSX is an IOU, it is just that the IOU is enforced by the network and not an individual so it has immeasurably higher value.

Anyway, just my 2 cents/different way to think about it.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

clout

Offline fuzzy

Neeeh.

Just a different kind of nonsense.

You believe too much in people fuzz, and you believe people are like you. Which is true to some, but is not true for most.

Tony Bologna is your new name to me. (a.k.a. TB)
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
So are they not collateralize?
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
So far most decisions in hindsight ended
up being right.. in game theory this is invaluable.. this means there is a good chance that going forward more good decisions will be made.. conpetitors are seperated
by these abilities and nxt already made some bad ones which points me to btsx as leader. Going fwd we should see btsx as the "obvious" choice for decentralized markets within the choice if investing in crypto which is becoming more "obvious" every day with governments slowly getting on board.

That is what you buy not technical achievements as they are a by product of decisions.. but the decisions themselves.. now go back and review them and your thinking may change. This may help you review your biases of crypto in a more logical framework. gluck!
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Neeeh.

Just a different kind of nonsense.

You believe too much in people fuzz, and you believe people are like you. Which is true to some, but is not true for most.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:45:40 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.