Author Topic: Open Bazaar  (Read 7729 times)

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
If BM says he has something exciting on the horizon then I am excited, but with regard to OB....

Supporting OB does not end with OB.   Its shows a way for all future markets light and dark, centralized and decentralized of how bitUSD can work.  We dont have to ask permission to get it in.   For a $1000 bounty one of the OB developers will do it for us.

Plus the press around OB is valuable.  It would be nice to ride their PR coat tails.
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline feedthemcake

• View Profile
You might say we are focused on everything...  :)

One day I hope to meet everyone involved with this just to shake everyone's hands... somewhere far away...

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
You might say we are focused on everything...  :)

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
Shouldn't the current focus be on making the BTSX wallet work flawlessly, and getting online wallet/mobile wallet/cold wallet/POS support? I really hope this open bazaar debate is not going to take the focus off our current biggest issue, which is most definitely the wallet and usability situation.

I think I3 have their priorities right. They have stated numerous times that a flawless wallet and a "lite" user friendly wallet are their top priorities.

Minimal resource input for I3 but maximum returns for the development kitty.

Working on something bigger.... and better for everyone.

This^
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:01:47 pm by Mysto »

Offline GaltReport

I started this thread because I think Open Bazaar is not viable in its current form.    I think I have a more profitable, self-funding, design for achieving the same thing they are.... only better.

1) Users shouldn't have to keep their computers on to "serve" their ads.  That is a non-starter for the masses.
2) Users want auctions as well as fixed price sales / ads.   
3) Users want a solid filtering system for items.

So you implement a DAC that allows users to post ads, start auctions, and implement "buy it now" functionality.   The DAC would execute the auction and natively support a local BitUSD / other currencies.

Merchants looking to sell to this audience now have a central place to list their products and get paid in BitUSD....

Implemented properly this DAC would grow far faster than Open Bazaar.. especially with the marketing it could fund to bootstrap.

Not that I want to "compete with everyone out there"... but you have to do it right and Open Bazaar is missing some critical design points.

Last I heard we were short of developers, and OpenBazaar was working hard on their project with no idea how to make it profitable.

Rather than launching a competing project we don't have the time to support, I suggest showing them how to make their project profitable, why they should support bitUSD, and why they should honour PTS and AGS if they use the toolkit to support the profitability model.

This - why not offer to help them build a DAC if they agree to honour the social contract for AGS/PTS holders?

Utilize the OB dev team that is in place, supply high-level oversight from the I3 team.

Win win for the whole world.

Okay, well that works for me! Hope to hear more details in the near future.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Forget about OpenBazaar if it's going to take the focus off BTSX. Google dominated search before they even considered other products.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
I started this thread because I think Open Bazaar is not viable in its current form.    I think I have a more profitable, self-funding, design for achieving the same thing they are.... only better.

1) Users shouldn't have to keep their computers on to "serve" their ads.  That is a non-starter for the masses.

So you implement a DAC that allows users to post ads, start auctions, and implement "buy it now" functionality.   The DAC would execute the auction and natively support a local BitUSD / other currencies.

Merchants looking to sell to this audience now have a central place to list their products and get paid in BitUSD....

Implemented properly this DAC would grow far faster than Open Bazaar.. especially with the marketing it could fund to bootstrap.

Not that I want to "compete with everyone out there"... but you have to do it right and Open Bazaar is missing some critical design points.

Last I heard we were short of developers, and OpenBazaar was working hard on their project with no idea how to make it profitable.

Rather than launching a competing project we don't have the time to support, I suggest showing them how to make their project profitable, why they should support bitUSD, and why they should honour PTS and AGS if they use the toolkit to support the profitability model.

This - why not offer to help them build a DAC if they agree to honour the social contract for AGS/PTS holders?

Utilize the OB dev team that is in place, supply high-level oversight from the I3 team.

Shouldn't the current focus be on making the BTSX wallet work flawlessly, and getting online wallet/mobile wallet/cold wallet/POS support? I really hope this open bazaar debate is not going to take the focus off our current biggest issue, which is most definitely the wallet and usability situation.

Offline oldman

• View Profile

Ha - you sound like me in the younger years. Go get em'.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline oldman

• View Profile

Utilize the OB dev team that is in place, leverage the existing market awareness and supply high-level oversight from the I3 team.

Plus, if sucessful there is a perfect case-study on how the Bitshares can empower businesses.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:34:36 pm by OldMan »

Offline feedthemcake

• View Profile
BitShares Square
BitShares Plaza
BitShares Fair
BitShares Carnival
BitShares Jubilee
BitShares Tepee

Orbit by BitShares

Just thinking loud about possible names ^^

Marketplace
Agora
Galleria
Vend

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Me like. Me like a lot. Me do not know enough people I3 make it. Me ask - Bitshares Open Bazar  idea or I3 know who build Bazar. Thanks.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
I personally would not like anything like this in BTSX itself, not that I am against it but I think it may open up delegates to some type of government retribution. I know I personally would want to resign from being a delegate if we put it on the BTSX chain. That is why I prefer this being a completely separate entity a la Open Bazaar or a separate DAC.

A bitshare auction/market dac is nice.  But we do need to watch out for users who would like to turn it into a silk-road dac.  Let's keep a good distance away from the FBI and the like.
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
you forgot the obvious:
BitShares Bazaar
BitBazaar :)

yup but i don't want to steel from OB ;)
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█