Author Topic: Lets get ebay not Open Bazaar...  (Read 8936 times)

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
Like others have said, if you can get eBay to accept BitUSD, great. That would obviously do us a lot of good. But how realistic is it to expect eBay/PayPal to integrate BitUSD into their platform? Especially considering BitUSD hasn't proven itself anywhere else and it's hard enough getting big businesses to accept Bitcoin. I'd really like to shoot for something actually achievable.

OpenBazaar is like a cheap and effective advertisement for the utility of BitUSD. A lot of very important businesses are watching what happens there. If we can get a solid footing on OB, I fully expect BitUSD to spread to other areas.

+5% i agree with this.  However, i'm getting the impression that the multisig support needed for OB is not trivial and that is why BM and the team don't seem that excited about it as everyone else.  Maybe BM can comment on how easy/hard it would be to support OB.

This.  I'd like to know:

1. How difficult to implement
2. Could it be community funded

=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Like others have said, if you can get eBay to accept BitUSD, great. That would obviously do us a lot of good. But how realistic is it to expect eBay/PayPal to integrate BitUSD into their platform?

You need to think BIGGER, Pinky!

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline GaltReport

Like others have said, if you can get eBay to accept BitUSD, great. That would obviously do us a lot of good. But how realistic is it to expect eBay/PayPal to integrate BitUSD into their platform? Especially considering BitUSD hasn't proven itself anywhere else and it's hard enough getting big businesses to accept Bitcoin. I'd really like to shoot for something actually achievable.

OpenBazaar is like a cheap and effective advertisement for the utility of BitUSD. A lot of very important businesses are watching what happens there. If we can get a solid footing on OB, I fully expect BitUSD to spread to other areas.

+5% i agree with this.  However, i'm getting the impression that the multisig support needed for OB is not trivial and that is why BM and the team don't seem that excited about it as everyone else.  Maybe BM can comment on how easy/hard it would be to support OB.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
There can also be a negative that bitusd gets associated with drugs.

If BitUSD is at all successful, this is inevitable anyway.

Offline Pheonike

There can also be a negative that bitusd gets associated with drugs.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
i don't get the "on-ramp" suggestions so far.

if i understand it correct "someone" will offer a debit/credit card with bitUSD. what does this means? do i use USD or bitUSD on the outside transactions? i can not think of a way this card can use USD as a normal Mastercard on normal shops without the normal transactioncosts for the business owner. so the only benefit would be for the consumer. he will buy bitUSD with his USD and the "company" with the card will transfer the amount to bitUSD and will take some of the yield for the customer and maybe some portion for his self.

"use our creditcard and get 1.5% yield a year for your balance"

Offline Riverhead

PayPal provides some buyer protections. Could this be achieved with bitUSD? The cost of escrow may wipe out the savings from PayPal.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I think it'll take a long time to build up an alternative like Open Bazaar. I'm in favor of plugging in there; it could become important. But I'm not holding my breath on it.

If you could interest eBay or Amazon or WalMart or Target or Sears, etc. in BitUSD, that would be awesome.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
If you could get ebay, then obviously that would be amazing.  But how many people have been trying for years now to get ebay to take bitcoin?

At this point we need any market at all for bitUSD.  Going from 0 to 1 is the most important move.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline onceuponatime

Lets get ebay AND Open Bazzar.

No reason to say one and not the other. 

ebay would certainly be a grand slam, but why pass up an easy chance to get a runner on base.

OB is already predisposed to crypto and a perfect oportunity to 'slip one in there'.  Have a base of people who actually use bitUSD.  OB can do everything that ebay does and more.  They are building the next ebay.  bitUSD should be there from the beginning.  OB is the reason ebay will take bitUSD.

I am not opposed to getting either or both, but I don't believe ebay is going to happen straight off.  Missing the boat on OB is a big mistake imo.

Yes, ebay and Open Bazaar, but Open Bazaar first. For all of the above reasons plus that it seems to be a perfect philosophical fit with what I have understood to be the Bitshares objectives.

Offline oco101

• View Profile

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
I still do not get basic premise - 'who does not care about money?'

The question isn't "who does not care about money?", it's "who would use BitUSD over fiatUSD and why?"

BitUSD is cheaper to receive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I would imagine it's much cheaper than fiatUSD and judging from Overstock statements, even 1/2% makes a big difference to a retailers profit margins. BitUSD also has a few other advantages as well.

Personally I would choose EBay for the main marketing 'announcement' especially if it's co-inciding with a debit card of sorts. (Even better if you can already get 1/2 reasonably recognisable/sized merchants that would accept BitUSD from the start.)

That's a strong play that says BTSX is here to be a global mainstream contender. That would get a lot of coverage in Alt-Coin world plus some fringe media imo and be positively received.

The reality as some have suggested is that in practice mainstream adoption may be slow. So I wouldn't waste too much money beyond that trying to force it. You can also still do OB as a secondary and low cost play & it would still be popular and useful in Alt-Coin world.

But I think it's better if the main announcement and the branding play that defines BTSX to the mainstream at the start is something like 'debit card + EBay.'

Xeldal

Lets get ebay AND Open Bazzar.

No reason to say one and not the other. 

ebay would certainly be a grand slam, but why pass up an easy chance to get a runner on base.

OB is already predisposed to crypto and a perfect oportunity to 'slip one in there'.  Have a base of people who actually use bitUSD.  OB can do everything that ebay does and more.  They are building the next ebay.  bitUSD should be there from the beginning.  OB is the reason ebay will take bitUSD.

I am not opposed to getting either or both, but I don't believe ebay is going to happen straight off.  Missing the boat on OB is a big mistake imo.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
Merchants despise paypal because it's slow and expensive, but they use it because it's easy and cheap for consumers

BitUSD makes it as cheap and easy for both parties less the chargeback features for consumers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:12:22 pm by Gonzo »
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.