Author Topic: First USD backed prediction market  (Read 4193 times)

Offline yvv

• View Profile
Hello ENDWAR.SYRIA! Seize fire agreement is signed. Russian Airforces go home. Does this count as outcome?

Offline svk

I'll have to look at supporting other backing assets for next week's release. For this week I enabled creating bitassets and prediction markets in the GUI, and updating them.

There's also a one-click "Short" button for prediction markets.

well, paying reasonable fees aka in the asset you want to pay them with is weeeeell overdue....[I am talking trading fees here, the same way the transfer fees are currently]
But if you want to work on something else...sure.

I agree, added this yesterday together with support for borrowing assets backed by non-BTS assets.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
I'll have to look at supporting other backing assets for next week's release. For this week I enabled creating bitassets and prediction markets in the GUI, and updating them.

well, paying reasonable fees aka in the asset you want to pay them with is weeeeell overdue....[I am talking trading fees here, the same way the transfer fees are currently]
But if you want to work on something else...sure.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Oh snap.  You can still borrow this asset in the cli right?  This would be perfect to hand out on Twitter.  I've started handing out REPGENSIXTEEN on Twitter  already. 

edit.  borrow_asset works just fine in the cli.  I tried sending some on twitter with the sharebot, but I don't know if it worked.

The GUI issues for this just start with 'cannot borrow".

As you can only pay the fee in the asset itself (until the fee pool runs out) if you want to sell you have to pay the ridiculous 250 ENDWAR(potentially 250 USD) to place your order....

Thanks for letting me know about the crazy fee.  I have emptied the fee pool.  The precision difference made the CER 10x greater than I had intended.  Also I expected it to realize that the asset was not backed by BTS, and instead to use 2.5x as much ENDWAR as USD would be used in the same transaction.

That will be up to the committee to decide.  The description speaks of ending hostilities.  If there are no longer any battles, and people are not getting killed, then I would say hostilities are ended.

Interesting (aside from you being able to empty the fee pool, which is a curios operation in itself)

It rises the question how EXACTLY the last fork fix was done (all I know that IMHO it was something extremely hacky...).... hmm
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:24:12 am by tonyk »

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Seems like a rather clear expectation.  If I am still a committee member I plan on voting true if there is a peace settlment.  There is a long lasting cease fire.  Or there are no recent reports of hostilities between the two sides of this conflict.  I think the chances of any of those three things happening are sadly pretty low.  We will see though.

I see it is already in market description. Fair enough.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies

This prediction does not make sense, since this war is not declared. There is no official start date, and there will be no official end date. How do you determine if it stopped or not?

That will be up to the committee to decide. 

So they can decide outcome in their favor. Nice trick.

The description speaks of ending hostilities.  If there are no longer any battles, and people are not getting killed, then I would say hostilities are ended.

People are always get killed even in relatively calm parts of the world. How many hostilities will you need to claim that the war is going on? How are you going to collect hostilities data?

We would have to rely on news reports and human rights organizations.

A peace settlement or long lasting cease fire would result in this market resolving to true. There must be an end to hostilites between Saudi Arabia backed pro government forces, and the Houthi rebels. Anti terrorism activities taken on a small scale against AQAP, or any ISIS affiliate should not prevent this market from paying out.

Seems like a rather clear expectation.  If I am still a committee member I plan on voting true if there is a peace settlment.  There is a long lasting cease fire.  Or there are no recent reports of hostilities between the two sides of this conflict.  I think the chances of any of those three things happening are sadly pretty low.  We will see though.

The way I am viewing this asset is as a bridge to anti war activists that may not be crypto enthusiasts.  It is an interesting means of demonstrating the power of BTS while discussing something that non crypto people will have a passion for.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline yvv

• View Profile

This prediction does not make sense, since this war is not declared. There is no official start date, and there will be no official end date. How do you determine if it stopped or not?

That will be up to the committee to decide. 

So they can decide outcome in their favor. Nice trick.

The description speaks of ending hostilities.  If there are no longer any battles, and people are not getting killed, then I would say hostilities are ended.

People are always get killed even in relatively calm parts of the world. How many hostilities will you need to claim that the war is going on? How are you going to collect hostilities data?

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

So will we finally have GUI support for prediction markets? Also I don't know what you have to do to pass the permissions to the committee account, but since that seems like a good option, could that also be a 1 click option when creating a market? To make it newbie proof? With a brief explanation mention that way we achieve a greater level of decentralization over the results?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline puppies

• View Profile

Offline svk

Oh and if you go to Explorer -> Assets you can find all prediction assets in one place..

Offline svk

Offline sports-owner

• View Profile
Oh snap.  You can still borrow this asset in the cli right?  This would be perfect to hand out on Twitter.  I've started handing out REPGENSIXTEEN on Twitter  already. 

edit.  borrow_asset works just fine in the cli.  I tried sending some on twitter with the sharebot, but I don't know if it worked.

As you can only pay the fee in the asset itself (until the fee pool runs out) if you want to sell you have to pay the ridiculous 250 ENDWAR(potentially 250 USD) to place your order....

Thanks for letting me know about the crazy fee.  I have emptied the fee pool.  The precision difference made the CER 10x greater than I had intended.  Also I expected it to realize that the asset was not backed by BTS, and instead to use 2.5x as much ENDWAR as USD would be used in the same transaction.

That will be up to the committee to decide.  The description speaks of ending hostilities.  If there are no longer any battles, and people are not getting killed, then I would say hostilities are ended.

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Offline puppies

• View Profile

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:52:26 pm by puppies »