Author Topic: Voting in bitshares  (Read 1758 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
An implicit vote would be one which was calculated directly from your transaction, even if the transaction had the delegates you were voting for removed from it (should it even contain them in the first place).
I don't get it, sorry.

The voting is part of the transaction and removing a subset of delegates from your transactions invalidates the transaction's signature.
You also need to distinguish brutto and net votes .. if you have a balanceID that voted for delegateA and delegateB .. withdraw funds from that address in a newer transaction that only votes for delegateA, then all your votes will end up in delegateA while delegateB will have a net negative vote in the sice of the amounts in the balanceID

Offline monsterer

Not sure what you mean by "implicit" ..
if you receive funds from someone, they may carry a vote that is NOT yours ..

An implicit vote would be one which was calculated directly from your transaction, even if the transaction had the delegates you were voting for removed from it (should it even contain them in the first place).
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Ever BTS has a vote .. and you cast your vote by movimg your stake .. your vote may also be empty .. transfers to a 3rd party are the same as transfers to yourself .. they carry a vote
Are the votes implicit, then?
Not sure what you mean by "implicit" ..
if you receive funds from someone, they may carry a vote that is NOT yours ..

Offline monsterer

Ever BTS has a vote .. and you cast your vote by movimg your stake .. your vote may also be empty .. transfers to a 3rd party are the same as transfers to yourself .. they carry a vote

Are the votes implicit, then?... because when you look at a transaction json, they look explicit, but it could of course be metadata.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline monsterer

...and the thing which prevents sybil attack by moving stake around is the fact that (in 1.0) the transfer out also removes votes?

If you submit a transaction with the votes removed, what happens?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:43:24 am by monsterer »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
How long does stake need to bond before it can vote?
No waiting period. You can vote instantly.

How often are votes tallied?
In BitShares1 every block. That's why blocks are appart 10 secs. In BitShares
2.0 the votes are reindexed every maintenance interval (a parameter defined by
shareholders with initially 24h)

Offline monsterer

How long does stake need to bond before it can vote?

How often are votes tallied?

edit: the core of my question is to establish how bitshares voting avoids sybil attack by moving stake around
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:22:20 am by monsterer »