Author Topic: LOST BITSHARES / IDEA PROPOSAL  (Read 7306 times)

Offline Louis

Backup file + passphrase!

brainkey is a part of the file

How is the brainkey used to recover your account?

Offline tony-hughes-design

Dear xeroc,

Thank you so much for sending me 100 BTS and 10 NEWBIE..

That was very kind of you.

Tony, great post you have inspired changes in the platform.  Thanks for all your hard work to share your story.  I suggest to forget about the account "name" it is gone.

However, do create a new account and post the name here.  I'll donate some of my BTS to you because you have earned it...

I'd like to thank James for making this gesture, but perhaps what some of you arn't aware that it was James, who tirelessly via email and even calling me here in the UK on my mobile phone. He tried to recover what databases and history I could pull from hidden parts in OS X. Unfortunately after many hours of trying nothing could be done, it is then that I made this forum post.

Thanks James for all your help.. It wouldn't feel right taking bitshares from you. After all you have helped create this wonderful platform we all want to be a part of. I think there is just some granny safe testing which needs to be put in place before its ready for the average consumer.

Least we know who would be a GREAT BETA tester  ;) ME!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:47:14 am by Tony Hughes Design »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Backup file + passphrase!

brainkey is a part of the file

Offline mint chocolate chip

If your browser clears the cache, what exactly do you need to get it back. Is it just the backup file and password, or is it the backup file and password plus the brain key?

Offline roadscape

You are maximaly encouraged to make a backup

clearing Browser cache usually does not clear tge database used for your wallet ..

how often do you need to make a backup?  One time after import? After every transaction? If you clear your browser cache, do you need to keep loading from your backup?

Admittedly, I have not seen the 'maximaly encouraged' warning message.  Does it CLEARLY (to grandma) describe the risks of not making a backup? Does is tell you when or how often to make backups? 

Bitshares 1.0 was notoriously known for not having user friendly help messages.

From what I've seen, the wallet's pretty good at telling you when you should backup:
 - After you create a new wallet/account
 - After importing keys

AFAIK, that covers >99% of the cases where you'd want to save a fresh backup.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline btstip

• View Profile
  • BitShares: btstip-io
Hey xeroc, your tips have been queued to get sent to...
  • Tony Hughes Design: Insufficient funds for asset 1.3.535
  • Tony Hughes Design: 100 BTS
  • Tony Hughes Design: 10 NEWBIE
Curious about BtsTip? Visit us at http://btstip.io and start tipping BTS on https://bitsharestalk.org/ today!
Created by hybridd

Offline sschechter

• View Profile

clearing Browser cache usually does not clear tge database used for your wallet ..

how often do you need to make a backup?  One time after import? After every transaction? If you clear your browser cache, do you need to keep loading from your backup?

Admittedly, I have not seen the 'maximaly encouraged' warning message.  Does it CLEARLY (to grandma) describe the risks of not making a backup? Does is tell you when or how often to make backups? 

Bitshares 1.0 was notoriously known for not having user friendly help messages. 
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
Unfortunately my experience with bitshares hasn't been a great one since 2.0. I had browser issues with my safari and a particular plugin which caused me to clear my cache. At that time I thought the open ledger password and my brain key were the same thing, so I didn't worry I was confident that my password was assuring the safety of my bitshares as backing up my brain key was only a 'recommendation' unlike now where its become mandatory. :(

Storing user keys in temporary browser cache is a horrible idea.  I'm amazed that this was not a concern by the devs and they would release 2.0 like this.  My browser clears the cache whenever I close it.  This is a simple checkbox option.  I have not upgraded until I am sure what I am doing is not a danger to myself. Bitshares will never go anywhere if it requires the user to have to read technical manuals to keep their funds safe. Unless it is absolutely fool proof, it will never gain adoption. Preventing the user from losing their funds should be #1 priority.  Its a joke to think that cryptocurrency is safer than your money in the bank. If it is not safe, the price will never stabilize.
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
However, do create a new account and post the name here.  I'll donate some of my BTS to you because you have earned it...

#btstip "Tony Hughes Design" 200 BROWNIE.PTS
#btstip "Tony Hughes Design" 100 BTS
#btstip "Tony Hughes Design" 10 NEWBIE

Offline jamesc

Tony, great post you have inspired changes in the platform.  Thanks for all your hard work to share your story.  I suggest to forget about the account "name" it is gone.

I think we do really have to be careful about cache clearing.   Can't we have a modal pop up immediately after signup to require users to download the default.bin file?  If someone clicks 'No' on the backup option, I would have the modal pop up again asking 'Are you sure?'.. and if the user clicks 'No' a third time .. I would have the modal pop up again with the brain key.... we should have a modal pop up five times before allowing a user to click through without any backup....

When 2.0 went public it was very different than the required registering of 0.98 or whatever the previous version was. I just assumed like many people when it said brain wallet backup recommended. That it assumed I had recorded my password which generated a brain wallet key or something. Ive never worried about passwords until I got into crypto because I use apples keychain to store all my passwords encrypted in the cloud.

Its too bad somebody from bitshares doesn't want to help me out. I'm down 100,000 bitshares during the hype purchased at something like $300-350 And 2.0 clearly rushed out of the starting blocks without considering the end user with the use of the wallets. What I'm saying must ring true or why else would they now make brain wallet keys compulsory to back up.

I don't think bitshares is granny proofed yet. Thanks for your support.

That's the advantage of having IDs, KYC stuff, etc, which I believe is not BitShares domain.

This is why I was thinking it could be as simple matter of a registered address, the 'known' web cached password I already had and perhaps 2FA.. if you implemented those three things together aren't you then decentralising the control and putting it in the hands of the user to wipe accounts clean etc.

But thanks for your support.

Offline merivercap

• View Profile
    • BitCash
Sorry to hear about your loss Tony.  It's probably too difficult to implement a system like that at this point.

I think we do really have to be careful about cache clearing.   Can't we have a modal pop up immediately after signup to require users to download the default.bin file?  If someone clicks 'No' on the backup option, I would have the modal pop up again asking 'Are you sure?'.. and if the user clicks 'No' a third time .. I would have the modal pop up again with the brain key.... we should have a modal pop up five times before allowing a user to click through without any backup....   

BitCash - http://www.bitcash.org 
Beta: bitCash Wallet / p2p Gateway: (https://m.bitcash.org)
Beta: bitCash Trade (https://trade.bitcash.org)