Author Topic: Been absent for a while. Best way to migrate from Bitshares 0.9.2 to new chain?  (Read 1604 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline pseudoscops

Okay, so I've got an existing backup JSON file from one of the later Bitshares2 clients on Linux, but I can't remember which > 0.8 I think. This wallet backup file was exported via the GUI. Is there a way for me to figure out which version of the GUI client I used and is this likely to be important for when I try to get back up and running and synced with the current live chain?

I do have a Linux system with the Bitshares 2 client running - it has version 0.9.2 installed. But the install is a bit screwed up and I can only login in via the terminal. Something has gone awry with XFCE4 and it's not a simple fix. I mention this in case you guys think it makes sense to re-export my wallet before trying to import my keys into the new blockchain. Given the lack of GUI I'll have to use the bitshares-cli for this and so any pointers on the sequence of commands I'll need in order to export a wallet backup from the CLI would be great (i.e. unlock wallet, export commands etc etc).

Next, what are my choices for a GUI client for the new block chain? Ideally, I'd like to keep a GUI based client on an offline ARM based machine, I have a spare Raspberry Pi 2 but could buy an Odroid C2 if more RAM is required (it has 2GB), I'd create a new account here on this machine and move most of my holdings from my old account to  this account and then unplug the machine. I'd then like to transfer some funds to a new account in a new hot wallet that will remain connected to the internet. I think I saw mention of web-based wallets and that also some form of mobile app was in the pipeline. If so what strategy would you guys recommend? I like the idea of this wallet being on my phone.

I do want to become more familiar with the CLI, because I'm working on some projects where integration with Bitshares could be possible. Is there an easy way for me to use Bitshares with Python at the moment. Any wrapper libs for python being maintained?

Also, can someone point me to a summary of what is going on with Bitshares at the moment and what the state of play is? I tried to catch up the other day and it seemed like development focus in Blacksburg, in part at least, had now moved to trying to build a Reddit clone on top of the new chain? Are not the DEX and pegged currencies a primary focus anymore? Or are they considered finished now? Perhaps, someone else picked up this side of things and started to run with it? These two things were what I was hoping would turn into the Bitshares Killer App.

Sorry about all the question, it's just I've been out of the loop for a while.

Eagerly awaiting advice on all the above, but especially keen to get my account up and running on the current live blockchain.

Thanks in advance for any help !