Author Topic: Publicly expressing my concern about the hard-coded hard fork to 2.0  (Read 20281 times)

Offline Thom

that means that they are confident that everything will go just fine and that's a very  good sign...

hmmm no, that's not really what it means... :) I fully agree with Monsterer here, this release seems a bit premature and setting up a time-bomb like this feels *very* dangerous. I have the impression that what this means is that it was done to please investors and people who keep complaining about shifts in the release date, to show them that it will happen on that date for sure. But what if the network isn't stable by then? You have to have a plan B, and "release 0.9.4 a couple of days before to fix it" doesn't seem like a very good one to me.

This also puts an enormous pressure on the devs, which is not necessarily what you want to have to be able to focus clearly on coding (it's effectively a sword of Damocles hanging above their head...) I'd rather have an undefined release date that slips by a month (heck, even 3 months is very little compared to what this sets up to be) and have a rock-stable release then.

But let's see how the next testnet goes, if it runs really smooth then maybe the release can still be made on time. I trust that Stan will find some magic potion that he will feed to all core devs so they write bug-free code during the next 2 weeks :D

I agree completely with this perspective.  Bytemaster just announced on mumble that devshares will not be initialized for grahpene until the snapshot is taken for going live. So it looks like the testing model will be the adhoc testnet. Whether that will be adequate remains to be seen. The next testnet will have 3 second block times and be open to nodes around the world.

BM also strongly encouraged all 1.0 delegates that wish to be 2.0 witnesses to participate in the next testnet if they wish to have BM's vote.

He also said initially there will only be 16 CNX witnesses on launch, meaning all current non-CNX delegates will NOT be active when 2.0 launches.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Allowing trading up to the creation of genesis is allowing insider trading and pretty much giving free btc
Do we not know when genesis creation will take place? At snapshot time? No? Am I missing something?  ???
In theory you could instantly initialize BTS2.0 at snapshot time .. in practise the devs will need to do some manual work first and ensure the genesis is correctly build .. otherwise they may just screw up the whole thing .. once the genesis is out, there is no going back .. not even for BM

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Allowing trading up to the creation of genesis is allowing insider trading and pretty much giving free btc

Do we not know when genesis creation will take place? At snapshot time? No? Am I missing something?  ???

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
Hi friends,

I have bitshares on Poloniex and plan to transfer to the  bitshares 2.0 web wallet at launch.  A moderator on Poloniex said that a snapshot would be taken so I am confident that there will be a smooth transition to 2.0 on the exchange.  Thoughts?

Best regards.

Your plan should work just fine.  I prefer to keep my crypto locked up with keys I own, but that's never quite as convenient.  At least until bts2.0
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Id like the exchanges to shutdown trading to avoid the dev team from dumping their shares on the exchanges after they manually create the genesis block to bts 2.0... since there is some manual steps there they have an advantage perhaps also did this with PTS.. I'd hope this time around they learned from that and applied proper precautions.. if not will look like greedy scammers IMO.

theoretical that's not fair either... how do you know there is not a minority that want's to continue to support the "old"  blockchain ? They are not obligated to make a statement about their intentions about it!
Why to shut them down? If some delegates stay on 0.9.2 we must assume they want it alive... The only thing that we must do is to clearly state on bitshares.org, bitsharestalk etc. what exactly will happen so nobody can accuse us after the snapshot for anything! Everybody must have easy access to informations about the snapshot.The exchanges should just describe on the bts market what will happen so all investors can acting accordingly having the same information's even like  "insiders" have.
No we all know majority will switch and we also know they will create genesis block manually.. Allowing trading up to the creation of genesis is allowing insider trading and pretty much giving free btc
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline nickelback70

• View Profile
Hi friends,

I have bitshares on Poloniex and plan to transfer to the  bitshares 2.0 web wallet at launch.  A moderator on Poloniex said that a snapshot would be taken so I am confident that there will be a smooth transition to 2.0 on the exchange.  Thoughts?

Best regards.

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Id like the exchanges to shutdown trading to avoid the dev team from dumping their shares on the exchanges after they manually create the genesis block to bts 2.0... since there is some manual steps there they have an advantage perhaps also did this with PTS.. I'd hope this time around they learned from that and applied proper precautions.. if not will look like greedy scammers IMO.

theoretical that's not fair either... how do you know there is not a minority that want's to continue to support the "old"  blockchain ? They are not obligated to make a statement about their intentions about it!
Why to shut them down? If some delegates stay on 0.9.2 we must assume they want it alive... The only thing that we must do is to clearly state on bitshares.org, bitsharestalk etc. what exactly will happen so nobody can accuse us after the snapshot for anything! Everybody must have easy access to informations about the snapshot.The exchanges should just describe on the bts market what will happen so all investors can acting accordingly having the same information's even like  "insiders" have.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
It is very important that every exchange is ready for the transition.  That is, prior to the release of 2.0, they disable deposits and withdrawals, then they do the 2.0 transition, and then they reenable deposits and withdrawals on the new chain.

That way there is no exchange accepting or trying to give out BTS tokens from the 0.9.2 chain. 
If this occurs, no one will be able to dump worthless old bts on unsuspecting people, and there wont be a division between people who got screwed and want to make old BTS worth somehting, and everyone else.

Most importantly we need poloniex and btc38 to follow this.  I am pretty sure CCEDK will since they are a partner.  I dont think there is much BTS on the other exchanges anymore.  I bet at least one of bter, bittrex, and cryptsy will fail in some way in the 2.0 transition, but it will mostly just be a black eye for them.

You probably want to avoid trading of those IOU tokens aswell because otherwise people would transfer days before and dump right after genesis block (people who create genesis block and their friends get first dibs) and then they can sit and wait until  withdrawing is enabled again to get free BTC out.
With PTS it stopped at the time of the snapshot... instead it would be better to stop a long time before.. and a few hours after everything is done.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Just for the record, my personal view of morality is that it is dishonest to sell something you know to be worthless to unsuspecting people who didn't get the news about the upgrade.

Obviously it would be different if there was a serious minority that intended to continue to support and compete via the old chain.  (In which case, you wouldn't be selling something totally worthless.)

So the next step is the "serious" (acting) minority to show up before the snapshot take place... Like the last time with Bitshares PTS :P

I havent seen anyone trying to keep the old chain around like alphabar was doing with PTS.  This is a good thing.

Of course, it is essential that the new chain is absolutely working prior to the transition.  We must ensure this is the case. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
It is very important that every exchange is ready for the transition.  That is, prior to the release of 2.0, they disable deposits and withdrawals, then they do the 2.0 transition, and then they reenable deposits and withdrawals on the new chain.

That way there is no exchange accepting or trying to give out BTS tokens from the 0.9.2 chain. 
If this occurs, no one will be able to dump worthless old bts on unsuspecting people, and there wont be a division between people who got screwed and want to make old BTS worth somehting, and everyone else.

Most importantly we need poloniex and btc38 to follow this.  I am pretty sure CCEDK will since they are a partner.  I dont think there is much BTS on the other exchanges anymore.  I bet at least one of bter, bittrex, and cryptsy will fail in some way in the 2.0 transition, but it will mostly just be a black eye for them.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Just for the record, my personal view of morality is that it is dishonest to sell something you know to be worthless to unsuspecting people who didn't get the news about the upgrade.

Obviously it would be different if there was a serious minority that intended to continue to support and compete via the old chain.  (In which case, you wouldn't be selling something totally worthless.)

So the next step is the "serious" (acting) minority to show up before the snapshot take place... Like the last time with Bitshares PTS :P

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
how about the web wallet? will the brain key work smoothly in 2.0?

you can download a backup under advanced. that's how I did it and it worked on the testnet.

Offline skystone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: skystone
how about the web wallet? will the brain key work smoothly in 2.0?

Offline phillyguy

What is the recommended course of action for someone who wants to HODL their BTS straight through from BTS 0.9.2 through BTS 2.0 (Graphene) ?

wait until 2.0 is operational and import your keys. migration is easy

Thanks guys. Sorry to hijack the thread temporarily.