Author Topic: LOST BITSHARES / IDEA PROPOSAL  (Read 7393 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Does this mean that EVERY wallet now will have a copy stored in the server? will it be optional?
Optional .. you can opt out

chryspano

Does this mean that EVERY wallet now will have a copy stored in the server? will it be optional?

Offline tony-hughes-design

You have that protocol implemented already?!?!
Boa .. that is so awesome!

Really is amazing news :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:53:47 pm by Tony Hughes Design »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

I do have the green light to backup on the server...  DL has vetted a protocol to save the wallets on the server and I'll be putting it to the test.

You have that protocol implemented already?!?!
Boa .. that is so awesome!

Wow James,

Before the whole tip thing.. bitshares will wallets folders online! This is fantastic news... does it also mean accounts can be burned :):)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:37:15 pm by Tony Hughes Design »

Offline jamesc

I think it is a known bug in safari. Try with chrome or use the light wallet for now

I can understand that.. but this is peoples money! I've lost 100,000 bitshares at the hype period of 2.0 which was like 350$.. you can't have these mistakes or bugs with publicly released software.

I sent a small tip to test this out: http://btstip.io/Home/Dashboard?username=Tony%20Hughes%20Design

Offline jamesc

I think it is a known bug in safari. Try with chrome or use the light wallet for now

I can understand that.. but this is peoples money! I've lost 100,000 bitshares at the hype period of 2.0 which was like 350$.. you can't have these mistakes or bugs with publicly released software.

I do have the green light to backup on the server...  DL has vetted a protocol to save the wallets on the server and I'll be putting it to the test.

You can use Chrome or FF..   If you have something in Safari you need to get out, you can verify brainkey which will show you the secret brainkey.  Be careful it is not encrypted...

Offline Bhuz

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bhuz

The 'create backup' creates a backup wallet which is a binary file.  Save this binary file securely.

It doesn't let you IF you click it on a mac in safari it just opens up a popup window in safari and thats it poof nothing! No save option nothing.

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
So Ive noticed there has been changes to wallet recovery which is positive.

Ive not been able to recovery my tony-hughes account but with a backed up brainkey I've been able to recover 'tony-hughes-design' so that will be my bitshares wallet from now on.

I must add I tried to back up the brainkey this time to see how it works.. and unfortunately when I'm presented with this page

Create Backup
bts_default.bin (1377 bytes)

and try to click the bts_default.bin it dumps me to a new window in safari but no files are downloaded so the is some kind of problem there, unless the bitshares community are only using chrome or something. Once its dumped you to the blank window you don't get a second change to back up your brainkey so the is an issue here.

This could give any Apple OS X user the impression that their wallet might of been backed up somehow. Due to the fact they won't be given the opportunity to backup the brainkey again.

This is really an issue which needs to be resolved so others don't lose their brain keys / wallets.

But I see the whole openledger site going in the right direction.

The 'create backup' creates a backup wallet which is a binary file.  Save this binary file securely.
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

So Ive noticed there has been changes to wallet recovery which is positive.

Ive not been able to recovery my tony-hughes account but with a backed up brainkey I've been able to recover 'tony-hughes-design' so that will be my bitshares wallet from now on.

I must add I tried to back up the brainkey this time to see how it works.. and unfortunately when I'm presented with this page

Create Backup
bts_default.bin (1377 bytes)

and try to click the bts_default.bin it dumps me to a new window in safari but no files are downloaded so the is some kind of problem there, unless the bitshares community are only using chrome or something. Once its dumped you to the blank window you don't get a second change to back up your brainkey so the is an issue here.

This could give any Apple OS X user the impression that their wallet might of been backed up somehow. Due to the fact they won't be given the opportunity to backup the brainkey again.

This is really an issue which needs to be resolved so others don't lose their brain keys / wallets.

But I see the whole openledger site going in the right direction.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:07:13 am by Tony Hughes Design »

From what I've seen, the wallet's pretty good at telling you when you should backup:
 - After you create a new wallet/account
 - After importing keys

AFAIK, that covers >99% of the cases where you'd want to save a fresh backup.
The wallet is good now at making that clear that a backup is 'REQUIRED' but when 2.0 was just released it was a 'RECOMMENDATION' thats where I think part of the issue came into play. I assumed that the password encrypted a brainkey/wallet or something. Knowing that my passwords are always stored in the apple encrypted keychain I felt confident a 'RECOMMENDATION' wasn't necessary.

Please remember 2.0 didn't come with a training manual. :) 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:51:56 pm by Tony Hughes Design »

Have you tried with some data recovery software?

Wasn't any good.. 2x 1TB of SSD's in trim.. and I pretty much think trim is a prerequisite for any SSD drive these days.
I know its something I need to set up for my Mac pro.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Bhuz

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bhuz
Have you tried with some data recovery software?