Author Topic: Paying dividends to UIA holders - will it be possible with Bitshares?  (Read 1649 times)

MessyCoin

Thank you for your replies! I ask only as an amateur investor who finds receiving dividends more appealing than participating in "buybacks". Those  Bitshares UIA's which employ "buyback" model (METAFEES, OBITS, etc) would be a lot more appealing to me with regular dividends in the form of i.e. "sharedrops" instead of "buybacks". That's why I began wondering why they choose to do it.

It's interesting to know you both suggest that dividends can be achieved via external script. I was not sure if there was some general reason why the assets I mentioned had chosen a "buyback" structure over dividends.. if this was because no dividend function was built-in to Bitshares or if it was for some reason impossible. Sounds like it is NOT a technical limitation, so is just a question of choice on the UIA's part.

Thanks again.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Or you can cooperate with ShareBits.io, they provides such service. Contact fuzzy or some Freebie people in this forum. https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/board,108.0.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:53:11 am by abit »
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
I prefer implement dividends with a client script.
you can custom the rules for distribution dividends:
1. you can give dividends depend on (amount * hold time), this is more reasonable in my opinion.
2. because of the high transfer fees, set a floor amount,
don't give dividends to holders with a small amount, or delay and give togother in next time.
3. you can use another rule, for each holders, give them dividend imediately when their dividends reach a reasonable value.

MessyCoin

Something I have noticed in recent asset sales on Bitshares is that assets (UIA) don't offer regular dividends payments to holders.

For example, both MetaExchange (METAFEES) and OpenLedger (OBITS) propose to reward asset holders through regular "buybacks" of their respective assets.

Buybacks are supposed to increase the value of the asset by diminishing the supply of them, but the asset holder gains nothing unless they eventually sell their holdings. Therefore I don't think this model is as appealing to investors as the idea of receiving regular dividends (something I think works very well for assets in the NXT ecosystem).

So my question: What plans are there for implementing UIA dividends in Bitshares2.0?

Perhaps there are other topics covering the question, I would be very happy to read them. The only related q I found was here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20261.msg260933.html#msg260933

Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:09:53 am by MessyCoin »