Author Topic: Proxy Proxy Votes  (Read 1532 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
In the current system, if I proxy Xeroc, can Xeroc also proxy those votes including his own to someone else?

I'm pretty sure proxy voting is not transitive.
Thinking more about it .. it may be that BM said something about this in one of the more recent hangouts ..

You may be right .. if I could vote for a proxy that forwards his votes .. you could easily build a cycle ..

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
In the current system, if I proxy Xeroc, can Xeroc also proxy those votes including his own to someone else?

I'm pretty sure proxy voting is not transitive.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline Thom

That, you can do ..

Are you sure about that xeroc? I don't think this is correct. If it is, how many levels of proxy indirection can this be cascaded to? Seems like it could potentially be a time consuming thing that impedes vote calculation. Not only that but what if hypothetically bytemaster proxies to Thom? Then you have an infinite loop scenario.

thom proxies to fav who proxies to xeroc who proxies to bytemaster who proxies to...

Not only do you have to aggregate the votes from all of those accounts, you also have to aggregate them from all other accounts that use those as proxies. I may be wrong, but I believe BM said proxies do not cascade like that.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:08:07 pm by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
If exchanges split their cold/hot BTS holdings into several wallets/accounts, each account proxies to a proxy.. Does it make sense?

//Edit: just saw this
But there is a simple way around it. Create several accounts, distribute your funds among them and set different proxies.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
unfortunatelly you can only have one proxy for all the vote of an account ..

If I had a very large stake, it would be nice to be able to distribute to number of people that way I know it's a division of power.  It might not be a big deal for average holders, but for someone holding 20+ million, it would be an easier way to participate without giving too much power.  Is that a limitation in the GUI or just the DPOS system in general?

It's a limitation of the proxy/voting system .. not just the gui.

But there is a simple way around it. Create several accounts, distribute your funds among them and set different proxies.

That, you can do ..

TravelsAsia

If I had a very large stake, it would be nice to be able to distribute to number of people that way I know it's a division of power.  It might not be a big deal for average holders, but for someone holding 20+ million, it would be an easier way to participate without giving too much power.  Is that a limitation in the GUI or just the DPOS system in general?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

TravelsAsia

This might belong under the stupid questions thread, if so, oops. :)

I remember reading in a thread that there was concern with the exchanges having so many BTS and not voting.  Is there a way to do something like this:

Exchange proxies to 2+ people they trust in Bitshares
Those 2+ people takes that total balance and distributes it to multiple proxies so no one person controls the whole lot

Throwing out ideas to help address the voting issue. I saw a video on liquid democracy and got me thinking.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:24:01 am by TravelsAsia »