Main > Stakeholder Proposals

avoiding delegate downtime while upgrading client

(1/3) > >>

wackou:
ah, and another thing: re-indexing takes up a lot of memory which is not necessarily freed afterwards (not sure there's a leak, but memory doesn't seem to get reclaimed by the OS), so I would recommend to exit the client after re-indexing and restart it immediately afterwards, RAM usage will look more "normal" then.

wackou:

--- Quote from: monsterer on December 08, 2014, 05:02:34 pm ---Hmm, I don't fancy re-indexing the DB on one build while the other is producing blocks, surely that's a recipe for disaster?

--- End quote ---

only if both are supposed to be producing blocks. The way I do it is what people mentioned before, but instead of locking/unlocking the wallet, I just "switch" them using
--- Code: ---wallet_delegate_set_block_production ALL true
--- End code ---
or
--- Code: ---wallet_delegate_set_block_production ALL false
--- End code ---
which is instantaneous, ie:

--- Code: ---client 1: producing blocks, this is the client I want to upgrade (usually on a VPS)
run client 2, same version as client 1 (same wallet too, usually on my laptop). By default, it has block_production=false
# when there is time before next block production (use get_info['next_block_production_time'] on client 1 to know)
client 1: wallet_delegate_set_block_production ALL false
client 2: wallet_delegate_set_block_production ALL true
# now client 2 is producing, so basically you can do whatever you want with client 1, in particular
exit client 1
recompile client 1
run client 1, unlock it
# reindexing can indeed take some time, but is not a problem since last time you were running client 1 it had block_production=false,
# so it will still have it, so it can come fully online whenever it wants, you won't produce forks
# wait for another moment before next block production (same as before, but checking on client 2 now), then
client 1: wallet_delegate_set_block_production ALL true
client 2: wallet_delegate_set_block_production ALL false
# at this point, client 1 is upgraded and fully operational again, you can exit client 2 and relax after a smooth upgrade :)

--- End code ---

This seems a bit contrived at first, but will feel very natural after a few times ;)

To check on the clients while upgrading, I use some python tools that I wrote specifically for that purpose, in particular I use this view:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wackou/bts_tools/master/bts_tools_screenshot2.png

In this screenshot, you can actually see that I run the client on localhost while recompiling on the server (remote host) and that now would be a bad time to switch, as there are only 39 seconds before my next scheduled block production.

You can get the tools here: https://github.com/wackou/bts_tools

emski:

--- Quote from: monsterer on December 08, 2014, 06:53:06 pm ---Hmmm, after building the latest and running the client (with the current delegate still going) I get this:

--- Code: --- ./bitshares_client
Loading blockchain from: /root/.BitShares/chain
Loading config from file: /root/.BitShares/config.json
------------ error --------------
10 assert_exception: Assert Exception
_map->is_open(): Database is not open!

--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

Try using different --data-dir for each delegate instance (you can copy the old datadir).

monsterer:
Upgrade went smooth enough after shutting down the main client - no reindexing was needed this time.

monsterer:
Hmmm, after building the latest and running the client (with the current delegate still going) I get this:

--- Code: --- ./bitshares_client
Loading blockchain from: /root/.BitShares/chain
Loading config from file: /root/.BitShares/config.json
------------ error --------------
10 assert_exception: Assert Exception
_map->is_open(): Database is not open!

--- End code ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version