Author Topic: how about to pay salary to committee members?  (Read 5079 times)

Offline roadscape

It would be great to have xeroc as a committee member. I am sure he would have a big support from the community.
I agree with gamey that bitshares need more passionate honest motivated people and that is why we need xeroc in the committee.
xeroc is always helpful , technicaly knowledgeable and honest.

Xeroc would be a great committee member.  So would abit.  As part of the job of committee members is to modify blockchain parameters as needed, one of the requirements should be an in depth knowledge of the system.  Outside of cnx, I can think of no one with a greater understanding of graphene.
+1

+5%
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
Xeroc would be a great committee member.  So would abit.  As part of the job of committee members is to modify blockchain parameters as needed, one of the requirements should be an in depth knowledge of the system.  Outside of cnx, I can think of no one with a greater understanding of graphene.

agree, already voted @abit, hope @xeroc also apply to be a committee member.
Email:bitcrab@qq.com

Offline Bhuz

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bhuz
It would be great to have xeroc as a committee member. I am sure he would have a big support from the community.
I agree with gamey that bitshares need more passionate honest motivated people and that is why we need xeroc in the committee.

+1

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Committee should not be paid IMO.  It should be generally a very undesirable position. 

Committee is already, like congress, an attractive seat for power hungry sociopaths. (I'm not saying this about any current members)  We don't need to sweeten the pot for *greedy power hungry sociopaths.  (again, not referring to any current committee)

It would be better to have an empty committee doing nothing than a full committee making poor decisions, or doing nothing but collecting a pay check .   Paying the committee incentivizes people with the wrong motives and qualifications to run for committee seats.

Ideally there would be very little for the committee to do.  If everything is set "correctly".

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself. The power over something like BitShares isn't exactly the same power a 'power hungry sociopath' is looking for.

As far as Akado saying the incentives are there.  Yes, they are for those with a significant amount of their own capital at stake.  Lots of reasons those people might not be committee material where as a young guy who doesn't have much might very well be what BitShares needs.

Xeroc - I wouldn't worry about conflict of interest at this point.  BitShares needs passionate honest motivated people. It might look bad to someone peaking in from the outside who is looking for something to complain about but overall it would be positive.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
I am opposed to paying committee members at this point.  I think we already have 8 high quality committee members.  There is no  need to rush the last 3. 

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

yunbi proxy + bitcrab voting power are far less than being able to control the committee.

enough incentive already? why there are still 3 empty slots in the committee?

Not because there are no incentives but probably because there aren't as many people with enough knowledge that can fit that position. Or maybe shareholders think so and don't vote whoever is trying to get in.

I mean, if someone has the knowledge and cares about BitShares I assume they would go for it. I assume everyone wants to protect their investment. I might be wrong though, but there might not be enough people with the knowledge/skills needed to hold that position.

I don't know about the Chinese community but I think you're the only one on the committee? I would like to see more Chinese make part of it in hope there would be more communication and debate. As well as having more influence on Chinese exchanges since there's where most of the money seems to be.

Most of the committee is currently Asian actually.

I have been attempting to get committee members to committee to weekly meetings but I have only gotten three even reply to the idea and offer any input on their availability... rest just say nothing and so we can't get a weekly meeting going.

At present there isn't enough activity from the present members to justify any sort of pay. In addition to this I have been encouraging more transparency on discussions and I think until this becomes the regular practice there should be no money coming in for fear it will become the defacto standard to not have weekly meetings and not communicate with the community and get paid all the while.

Once we have established a working process with agenda and regular meetings with parameters of the extent of work w are undertaking.. at that point we can talk about pay. Until then we shouldn't be considering writing blank cheques to members.

My thoughts anyways.

work does not equal to meeting, in my memory you have mentioned how you and other committee members worked at weekend for the measure on how to defense the network, isn't this working?

most of the committee members has its own work and some are very busy, this also prevent them from putting more time on committee work.

maybe we can try the weekly meeting, for me normally UTC+8 time 11:00-23:00 are OK.

No.. haphazard random responds to cries of one thing or another is not a working committee.. its just a group of people reacting to things.

Community needs consistency.. needs order.. needs transparency from the committee.. at present the committee is delivering on none of that because not all members are coming to the table to do so. Perhaps it would be better for a few to start doing it to create a pull instead of a push for these things.

Sure.. we all work.. that doesn't mean the importance of being a Bitshares committee member should be diminished. If a member cannot commit the time necessary to work with the rest of it then what are they doing there? They are taking a position that could be otherwise filled by someone that could be active and building. We shouldn't sit around and wait for disaster to strike and then get organized. By then it is too late.

Chance favors the prepared.

Sure there are times we are all busy and we may not be able to be there 100% of the time.. but at least a 70% showing is a lot better than none.

Thanks for sharing a time!  +5%

Now lets cross reference the others and see if we can an agenda going! :)

We'll figure that out in telegram.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
What is holding me back from applying for a committe member is the fact that I have fairly high proxy voting power and I see this as a conflict of interest ...

As for paying the committe members: I dont see the need to add another incentive for becoming a committee member. In the end, we will probably see business running for there seats instead of honorable volunteers .. but that may be just my visions ..

I have even more proxy voting power than you, in your view should I vote myself out of the committee? :D
I don't think high proxy voting power bring conflict of interest, committee member is just like senator, users who set you as proxy and users who vote you can both be regarded as your supporters, they think you can represent their opinion.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
yunbi proxy + bitcrab voting power are far less than being able to control the committee.

Not because there are no incentives but probably because there aren't as many people with enough knowledge that can fit that position. Or maybe shareholders think so and don't vote whoever is trying to get in.

I mean, if someone has the knowledge and cares about BitShares I assume they would go for it. I assume everyone wants to protect their investment. I might be wrong though, but there might not be enough people with the knowledge/skills needed to hold that position.

I don't know about the Chinese community but I think you're the only one on the committee? I would like to see more Chinese make part of it in hope there would be more communication and debate. As well as having more influence on Chinese exchanges since there's where most of the money seems to be.

I have been attempting to get committee members to committee to weekly meetings but I have only gotten three even reply to the idea and offer any input on their availability... rest just say nothing and so we can't get a weekly meeting going.

At present there isn't enough activity from the present members to justify any sort of pay. In addition to this I have been encouraging more transparency on discussions and I think until this becomes the regular practice there should be no money coming in for fear it will become the defacto standard to not have weekly meetings and not communicate with the community and get paid all the while.

Once we have established a working process with agenda and regular meetings with parameters of the extent of work w are undertaking.. at that point we can talk about pay. Until then we shouldn't be considering writing blank cheques to members.

My thoughts anyways.

But do they speak chinese? Just asking because this could bring the community more together. There seems to be some lack of communication between both communities which is a shame. Together we could do much more!

I thought you already did this or have a communication channel (ie chat) for committee members only. The same way we have mumbles at friday you should get some schedule to met up and debate stuff. Of course this is easier said than done, unfortunately..

Agree with your post

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile

My thoughts anyways.

work does not equal to meeting, in my memory you have mentioned how you and other committee members worked at weekend for the measure on how to defense the network, isn't this working?

most of the committee members has its own work and some are very busy, this also prevent them from putting more time on committee work.

maybe we can try the weekly meeting, for me normally UTC+8 time 11:00-23:00 are OK.

Xeldal

Committee should not be paid IMO.  It should be generally a very undesirable position. 

Committee is already, like congress, an attractive seat for power hungry sociopaths. (I'm not saying this about any current members)  We don't need to sweeten the pot for *greedy power hungry sociopaths.  (again, not referring to any current committee)

It would be better to have an empty committee doing nothing than a full committee making poor decisions, or doing nothing but collecting a pay check .   Paying the committee incentivizes people with the wrong motives and qualifications to run for committee seats.

Ideally there would be very little for the committee to do.  If everything is set "correctly".

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

My thoughts anyways.
This

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
What is holding me back from applying for a committe member is the fact that I have fairly high proxy voting power and I see this as a conflict of interest ...

As for paying the committe members: I dont see the need to add another incentive for becoming a committee member. In the end, we will probably see business running for there seats instead of honorable volunteers .. but that may be just my visions ..

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

My thoughts anyways.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+