Author Topic: Openledger/bitshares is down for me, anyone else?  (Read 6540 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Are there any other websocket servers that we can choose from ?
In China we have DACPLAY, and harvey, and perhaps btsabc running ws servers. Anyone else is running this service?
Maybe it's better to add them to Graphene-ui? Maybe add a list in the documents? @xeroc  @svk @wmbutler

//Update:
I'll try to collect a detailed list first.

DACPLAY: wss://bitshares.dacplay.org:8089
RiverHead: ws://185.82.203.92:8090
Harvey: ws://128.199.143.47:2016
BTSDac: ws://139.196.37.179:8090
BTAER(BTSDac): ws://btaer.com:8090 (currently offline for me)
Pull request submitted. https://github.com/cryptonomex/graphene-ui/pull/666
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
That's not a bad idea.. setup a proxy that monitors available nodes and connects you. The only danger in that is if those nodes are not keeping up to date could be an issue.. it's easy to tell if a server is online and responding but not so easy to tell if the node is getting blocks properly etc.

We should set up DNS seeders that do that. For API servers as well as seed nodes.

Then when we click to add a new node, a list of nodes owned by witnesses would popup and we would choose the one we want. Witnesses nodes should be up to date. Or a list of witnesses who processed the last 10 blocks

Witness nodes should not provide API functions to the world. They shouldn't allow any incoming connections - otherwise it's too easy to overload them.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
How decentralized is BitShares if we depend on OpenLedger service to be up and running? I couldn't use it with the light client too.
Run a business .. setup your own witness nodes and there you go ..
The network is decentralized .. access to the network currently is not ..

I just don't know how to connect to other witness node in case the OpenLedger one that seems to be the default, is down. I don't know which other websocket servers to choose from, where's a list for me to manually input a new one. Couldn't we make it so in case one is down, it automatically redirects to other random node ran by witnesses?

That's not a bad idea.. setup a proxy that monitors available nodes and connects you. The only danger in that is if those nodes are not keeping up to date could be an issue.. it's easy to tell if a server is online and responding but not so easy to tell if the node is getting blocks properly etc.

Then when we click to add a new node, a list of nodes owned by witnesses would popup and we would choose the one we want. Witnesses nodes should be up to date. Or a list of witnesses who processed the last 10 blocks

It's up to the witnesses to provide that.. however I don't think they should.. their task is to witness block production.. we add end user load to that and you invite an attack vector + you need to increase their pay for more infrastructure.
Better if seed nodes provide ws services as well. Or another list of ws servers.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
Are there any other websocket servers that we can choose from ?
In China we have DACPLAY, and harvey, and perhaps btsabc running ws servers. Anyone else is running this service?
Maybe it's better to add them to Graphene-ui? Maybe add a list in the documents? @xeroc  @svk @wmbutler

//Update:
I'll try to collect a detailed list first.

DACPLAY: wss://bitshares.dacplay.org:8089
RiverHead: ws://185.82.203.92:8090
Harvey: ws://128.199.143.47:2016
BTSDac: ws://139.196.37.179:8090

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:47:12 am by abit »

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
How can I run a wallet server?
I will write a tutorial about it tomorrow

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
But they're the only reliable nodes, that way we end up having a bottleneck with only a single node, in this case OpenLedger, for all users. Also I don't agree with xeroc when he says the network is decentralized but access is not... that may be true in theory but from a user pov that's not decentralized since if one single node is down he has no access. This, from a user pov
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
How abour something similar to pool.ntp.org but for api

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

How decentralized is BitShares if we depend on OpenLedger service to be up and running? I couldn't use it with the light client too.

I just don't know how to connect to other witness node in case the OpenLedger one that seems to be the default, is down. I don't know which other websocket servers to choose from, where's a list for me to manually input a new one. Couldn't we make it so in case one is down, it automatically redirects to other random node ran by witnesses?

It's up to the witnesses to provide that.. however I don't think they should.. their task is to witness block production.. we add end user load to that and you invite an attack vector + you need to increase their pay for more infrastructure.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Akado

• View Profile

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Akado

• View Profile