Author Topic: why bitUSD Yield still so high?  (Read 2273 times)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
Because fees / yield are paid out over 1 year, but only if you hold the BitUSD for 1 year do you get 100% of the yield.   Everyone who bails early leaves more yield on the table for those who are holding on.

The end result is that we have a yield pool based on old income when the BitUSD supply was over 600K and interest was being paid.   The supply shrank to 150K but the "collected fees" didn't shrink so "collected fees" is now a larger percentage of supply than it was in the past.

does the estimated yield adjust dynamically with market price for bitUSD? it doesn't seem like that yield number changes too dramatically, but we've seen big swings in BTS price of bitUSD.

Yield is paid into the pool by shorts paying whatever they choose. Yield is paid out of the pool at a fixed %/block. Shorts were willing to pay a ton at first, and then over time the amount shorts wanted to pay went down and so did bitUSD supply, which kept the yield pretty steady.

interesting, i guess i was looking at it wrong since it's yield on bitUSD paid in bitUSD, so it's independent of the BTS price of bitUSD. this has been a very interesting experiment, kind of sad to see it change with 2.0, but hopeful that the bond market offers even more opportunity.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Because fees / yield are paid out over 1 year, but only if you hold the BitUSD for 1 year do you get 100% of the yield.   Everyone who bails early leaves more yield on the table for those who are holding on.

The end result is that we have a yield pool based on old income when the BitUSD supply was over 600K and interest was being paid.   The supply shrank to 150K but the "collected fees" didn't shrink so "collected fees" is now a larger percentage of supply than it was in the past.

does the estimated yield adjust dynamically with market price for bitUSD? it doesn't seem like that yield number changes too dramatically, but we've seen big swings in BTS price of bitUSD.

Yield is paid into the pool by shorts paying whatever they choose. Yield is paid out of the pool at a fixed %/block. Shorts were willing to pay a ton at first, and then over time the amount shorts wanted to pay went down and so did bitUSD supply, which kept the yield pretty steady.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053

Offline regismol

• View Profile
they can easily  short  at 0 interest&buy bitUSD at the same time  to get bitUSD to cover  high interest short orders
but they didn't

The high yield is coming from interest that was already paid - I'm sure most shorts have rolled over to low %s
Beat me to it....
BitUSD rolled over to low%'s in shorts, hence the higher yield from interest already paid. Toast explained this simply, summed up well.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
they can easily  short  at 0 interest&buy bitUSD at the same time  to get bitUSD to cover  high interest short orders
but they didn't

The high yield is coming from interest that was already paid - I'm sure most shorts have rolled over to low %s
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags
but they didn't

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline sudo

• View Profile

Offline sudo

• View Profile