Author Topic: bitUSD as our killer app and getting merchants to accept it  (Read 1648 times)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
I've been off grid from the community for a bit, so i apologize if this topic is a repeat. if so, i'd love to see the discussion.

Yesterday was my first time opening up my Web wallet and playing around for at least a few months, and i have to say i'm VERY impressed with where the devs have gone with the technology! We have an awesome infrastructure in place, just need to attract people (and money) to play in our sandbox.

I still see bitUSD as our most valuable product and pushing for its acceptance by merchants, or just use in online funds transfers would be the best way to put the blockchain to good use. Would anyone else be interested in a campaign to market bitUSD? Off the top of my head I'm thinking this would entail getting it incorporated into cryptocurrency payment services (i just petitioned here: https://www.coinpayments.net/addcoin ...everyone else reading this should also petition), games, gambling sites, tip bots, and anything else you can think of that transfers value online.

Any other ideas for sparking bitUSD demand? it'd be great if we could get some businesses to issue bitUSD-denominated bonds on our DEX.

*I also like bitCNY, but don't think the Chinese government would be too accepting of merchants using it. Nonetheless, any Chinese nationals on here should feel free to adopt a similar marketing campaign locally!
To be honest BitCNY is currently very very weak in competition with Alipay, WeChat and some other popular online payment systems in China.

I can see that, and i'd add that bitUSD is very weak compared to any existing payment method in the U.S., as well. Creating a market for any of our BTS-synthesized assets ought to be a big priority for the community. We have amazing infrastructure, just haven't convinced anyone to use any of our products yet.

As far as our products being useful I can see a few cases at the moment:

1) bitUSD as a payment currency

2) bitUSD as a hedging currency for those without ready access to USD (Chinese?)

3) bitUSD as a short on BTS

4) bitSILVER and bitGOLD as alternative ways to speculate in either metal. I'm not familiar enough with the trading mechanics for how the system works for keeping value at the price feed. For instance, neither of these markets are liquid, so what happens if i buy 1 bitGOLD and want to sell the position a year from now? Am I guaranteed to at least get the feed price linked to actual gold spot? If there is a no-questions asked way to immediately liquidate bitGOLD into the spot-equivalent amount of BTS on demand, then I can see it being an excellent way to gain the same exposure to the metal.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
I've been off grid from the community for a bit, so i apologize if this topic is a repeat. if so, i'd love to see the discussion.

Yesterday was my first time opening up my Web wallet and playing around for at least a few months, and i have to say i'm VERY impressed with where the devs have gone with the technology! We have an awesome infrastructure in place, just need to attract people (and money) to play in our sandbox.

I still see bitUSD as our most valuable product and pushing for its acceptance by merchants, or just use in online funds transfers would be the best way to put the blockchain to good use. Would anyone else be interested in a campaign to market bitUSD? Off the top of my head I'm thinking this would entail getting it incorporated into cryptocurrency payment services (i just petitioned here: https://www.coinpayments.net/addcoin ...everyone else reading this should also petition), games, gambling sites, tip bots, and anything else you can think of that transfers value online.

Any other ideas for sparking bitUSD demand? it'd be great if we could get some businesses to issue bitUSD-denominated bonds on our DEX.

*I also like bitCNY, but don't think the Chinese government would be too accepting of merchants using it. Nonetheless, any Chinese nationals on here should feel free to adopt a similar marketing campaign locally!
To be honest BitCNY is currently very very weak in competition with Alipay, WeChat and some other popular online payment systems in China.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053