Author Topic: Ethereum introducing the Dai, a cryptobond backing the eDollars stability  (Read 9572 times)

Offline VoR0220

I'm helping rune with this. In ethereum it is just easier to develop dynamic, self-modifying systems that still follow clear, pre-defined rules. BTS chose the "specialization" route, so we should push that advantage. If Maker adds a killer feature, BTS can create a more efficient version of it.

Maker is defined by its own consensus and so could migrate onto BTS or another graphene chain

solidity is just super fun and we have an opportunity to push our competitive advantage from our sweet system framework, which will let us do stuff like add all the smart assets on ether into Maker for backing dai without disrupting the network

Agreed on all of this.  +5%
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I'm helping rune with this. In ethereum it is just easier to develop dynamic, self-modifying systems that still follow clear, pre-defined rules. BTS chose the "specialization" route, so we should push that advantage. If Maker adds a killer feature, BTS can create a more efficient version of it.

Maker is defined by its own consensus and so could migrate onto BTS or another graphene chain

solidity is just super fun and we have an opportunity to push our competitive advantage from our sweet system framework, which will let us do stuff like add all the smart assets on ether into Maker for backing dai without disrupting the network
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
I'd love to hear what starspirit thinks about the eDollar pegging mechanism, because it's interest rate based, just as his proposal for a peg on bitshares was:

http://forum.makerdao.com/t/how-the-edollar-peg-works/64

paging @starspirit
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline monsterer

I'd love to hear what starspirit thinks about the eDollar pegging mechanism, because it's interest rate based, just as his proposal for a peg on bitshares was:

http://forum.makerdao.com/t/how-the-edollar-peg-works/64
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline VoR0220

@Rune, Just out of curiosity, why have you moved your efforts to Ethereum?

He gets bored quickly and has big ideas. If Ethereum takes an eternity, we may see him back here again.

Pretty much. Also Ethereum is so easy to develop on that even I can do it, which is wonderful for someone who has never tried coding or developing apps ever before.

Regarding ethereum ever coming out, if anyone here has money stuck in the presale, i can confirm that its finally coming very soon, probably like a week. There is evidence that more than 20 exchanges are looking into integrating it, but I dont necessarily believe in the long term value of ether since fees can be paid in any currency on ethereum, including dai, so ether has no inherent value beyond the numismatic (which could still turn out to be significant).

I still hold bts btw, and im waiting for 2.0 hoping itll be good so i still visit this forum often.

The main problem I see with ethereum now in having taken more time to learn about it over the past week, is that unless there is something integrated to protect development code, people will quickly learn that there is no point in developing on ethereum (outside of the fact that it is easy and you just love coding) because few will pay the smart contract fees when they can fork the project and run it for free and then the developer totally loses out. I'm not sure how many developers will be able to find a "centralized niche" worthy of paying the smart contract fees on top of the ether gas....such is the new decentralized world we are creating.

Decentralization also means the survival of the project can be sustained without a centralized party , which we're clearly lack of right now .
In fact , almost all of the unfinished 2.0 projects , BitShares , Eth , are not really decentralized enough if we want to use bitcoin as an example .
A project can not really be called decentralized if the survival of the projects lies in couple of people , and if those people go look for jobs the projects would be dead in the water , which is what we've been told many times .I started to convert part of my BTS holding to Bitcoin after threats like this happened the third time , which is a magical number in my mind .   I think it is fears like this makes major investment in crypto also goes back to Bitcoin for long term holding , and invest in alt-coins as a venture investment .

(I remembered some people imagined 2.0 projects would take over bitcoin by the end of 2015 in the past year , but clearly , it's not going to happen . )

I would throw the word "decentralized" around maybe one year later , but not now .

It's nothing new though , in the stock market , there are always magical stocks like BTS ,Eth which has great potential , but the biggest market cap lies in those stocks with zero imagination just because people know -----   It's steady and big ....

Bitcoin has the network effect as king of the hill in currency...that doesn't mean that successful businesses can't come out of using cryptocurrency for other purposes. With that said....if Bitcoin doesn't get its shit together and figure out that block problem, then there will be serious potential for it to be replaced by a better coin in the future.

When I say decentralized though, I mean that these projects (and yes, there are some big names that we seem to be unable to do without because they're so damn talented) will inevitably lead to a more decentralized world...moreso than what currently exists. It's the final piece in the puzzle to what has steadily become more centralized....that being monetary powers/corporatist capital.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:25:03 am by VoR0220 »

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

He gets bored quickly and has big ideas. If Ethereum takes an eternity, we may see him back here again.

Pretty much. Also Ethereum is so easy to develop on that even I can do it, which is wonderful for someone who has never tried coding or developing apps ever before.

Regarding ethereum ever coming out, if anyone here has money stuck in the presale, i can confirm that its finally coming very soon, probably like a week. There is evidence that more than 20 exchanges are looking into integrating it, but I dont necessarily believe in the long term value of ether since fees can be paid in any currency on ethereum, including dai, so ether has no inherent value beyond the numismatic (which could still turn out to be significant).

I still hold bts btw, and im waiting for 2.0 hoping itll be good so i still visit this forum often.

The main problem I see with ethereum now in having taken more time to learn about it over the past week, is that unless there is something integrated to protect development code, people will quickly learn that there is no point in developing on ethereum (outside of the fact that it is easy and you just love coding) because few will pay the smart contract fees when they can fork the project and run it for free and then the developer totally loses out. I'm not sure how many developers will be able to find a "centralized niche" worthy of paying the smart contract fees on top of the ether gas....such is the new decentralized world we are creating.

Decentralization also means the survival of the project can be sustained without a centralized party , which we're clearly lack of right now .
In fact , almost all of the unfinished 2.0 projects , BitShares , Eth , are not really decentralized enough if we want to use bitcoin as an example .
A project can not really be called decentralized if the survival of the projects lies in couple of people , and if those people go look for jobs the projects would be dead in the water , which is what we've been told many times .I started to convert part of my BTS holding to Bitcoin after threats like this happened the third time , which is a magical number in my mind .   I think it is fears like this makes major investment in crypto also goes back to Bitcoin for long term holding , and invest in alt-coins as a venture investment .

(I remembered some people imagined 2.0 projects would take over bitcoin by the end of 2015 in the past year , but clearly , it's not going to happen . )

I would throw the word "decentralized" around maybe one year later , but not now .

It's nothing new though , in the stock market , there are always magical stocks like BTS ,Eth which has great potential , but the biggest market cap lies in those stocks with zero imagination just because people know -----   It's steady and big ....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:00:45 am by btswildpig »
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline VoR0220

Offline VoR0220

I think the answer is really simple :

In BitShares , he has to pass his idea as some "discussion" instead of realization , and wait for the devs to look at it . Finally , if the devs think it can be done , there is also a long process of "who is paying for this function ? " etc , etc

And in Eth , he can write his own program with little experience .

As someone who wants to do economic experiment like Rune , Eth is like a lab that he can mess around and verify his ideas without much programming effort  (regardless if the lab is good . if the lab goes down , he still learned a great deal  ) .

I can verify this....the virtual machine in numerous languages make things incredibly easy to mess around with. Bitshares will still be a big player due to its sheer capabilities, but Ethereum will be the one that draws in the developers if the graphene-UI isn't a huge success in ease of smart contract development.

Offline Rune

• View Profile

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

I think the answer is really simple :

In BitShares , he has to pass his idea as some "discussion" instead of realization , and wait for the devs to look at it . Finally , if the devs think it can be done , there is also a long process of "who is paying for this function ? " etc , etc

And in Eth , he can write his own program with little experience .

As someone who wants to do economic experiment like Rune , Eth is like a lab that he can mess around and verify his ideas without much programming effort  (regardless if the lab is good . if the lab goes down , he still learned a great deal  ) .
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:42:31 am by btswildpig »
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

clout

Offline onceuponatime

Rune used to hang around here, https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=23619

Would be cool if he created a private bitAsset on BitShares 2.0 as well.  :D

Rune created a private bitAsset on BitShares in the past.

Want to buy some CFSCOIN (cheap)?