Author Topic: Slap whoever is currently working on graphene in the head  (Read 7058 times)

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
supernet for example offers a simple version and an advanced version.

Offline r0ach

• View Profile
  Most users simply do not care what's going on behind the scenes with delegates and everything else, all they want is functionality.

This is true too.

However it does not bode well for DPOS, which essentially requires 'users' to actively vote, manage and decentralise the business they are customers of.

Ultimately I expect it to evolve into some form of voting vs. non voting shares/direct incentives for voting (Still be cheaper than mining) or something else...

Well, supposedly something like 50-60% of people vote in America, but even if you are a voter, the odds of you opening the wallet to vote are probably much lower than trying to accomplish another task at any given time....

The tabs should be ordered by usage.  The most important tab would most likely be the page where balance is located, plus the ability to send money, view transaction history, and view address book, all located on the same page.  The next tab in the drop down menu would be whatever receives most usage next, whether it's the exchange or something else.  Even if 100% of people vote, the last tab would probably still be the voting tab.

edit:  I changed the original post in the thread a lot to include my later thoughts.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 04:46:08 pm by r0ach »

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
I assume roach was taking about the new gui looking at mockups or demos.. But these actually look pretty good so far.

I was looking at the new wallet.  The one picture I posted is a drop down menu if people couldn't tell from the picture, which is probably the most efficient use of screen real estate.  Anyway, the current development wallet takes you into an "overview" screen upon selecting wallet.  This screen offers basically 0 functionality and isn't needed.  The default screen it takes you into should give you balance, the ability to send money, show recent transaction history, and maybe an addressbook of addresses to send to or request payment from all on the same page.  The current default screen it takes you into is actually a regression from a standard Bitcoin/Dogecoin wallet.

You don't really want an excessive number of different tabs/screens for no reason.  You do want the initial, default screen to be  simple in design, emulating core functionality of a normal Bitcoin/Dogecoin wallet.

Makes sense.

Most users simply do not care what's going on behind the scenes with delegates and everything else, all they want is functionality.

This is true too.

However it does not bode well for DPOS, which essentially requires 'users' to actively vote, manage and decentralise the business they are customers of.

Ultimately I expect it to evolve into some form of voting vs. non voting shares/direct incentives for voting (Still be cheaper than mining) or something else...
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline wuyanren

• View Profile

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Pretty nice..so I don't need a brain wallet pw to access the wallet? Perhaps 2fa later?

I assume roach was taking about the new gui looking at mockups or demos.. But these actually look pretty good so far.

2FA is planned for the next steps and AFAIK we'll have an enterprise 2FA provider assisting on this!
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline r0ach

• View Profile

I was looking at the new wallet.  The one picture I posted is a drop down menu if people couldn't tell from the picture, which is probably the most efficient use of screen real estate.  Anyway, the current development wallet takes you into an "overview" screen upon selecting wallet.  This screen offers basically 0 functionality and isn't needed.  The default screen it takes you into should give you balance, the ability to send money, show recent transaction history, and maybe an addressbook of addresses to send to or request payment from all on the same page.  The current default screen it takes you into is actually a regression from a standard Bitcoin/Dogecoin wallet.

You don't really want an excessive number of different tabs/screens for no reason.  You do want the initial, default screen to be  simple in design, emulating core functionality of a normal Bitcoin/Dogecoin wallet.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 04:06:41 pm by r0ach »

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Pretty nice..so I don't need a brain wallet pw to access the wallet? Perhaps 2fa later?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:29:57 pm by jsidhu »
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Btw the wallet you are looking at is only lasting for another month. This is what it will turn into:

https://graphene.bitshares.org (Under development)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:40:11 pm by speedy »

Offline r0ach

• View Profile
My first picture example wasn't that great.  This is a more efficient drop down menu that scales to full screen better and provides more screen real estate.  The point from the original post still stands though.  The default tab the program launches with should be Doge simple with just balance listed, a send money box, transaction history, and maybe address book.

I'll try to sketch out a more detailed example when I have time.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 04:31:16 pm by r0ach »

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
It really depends on your user base.  Bitshares will most likely have a diverse set of users who will require many different types of interfaces.  Eventually, part of the target audience are guys like this:

The initial screen for tradars and investors may be a bit more advanced, such as the initial screen for poloniex (which has gained quite a bit of market share lately), td ameritrade, or any of the other leading online trading interfaces. 

However, I largely agree that initially the interface should be simple with advanced features just a click away.  As the system develops, more interfaces can be developed, catering to the casual user who just wants to send and receive bts to the sophisticated trader who utilizes many of the advanced trading functions available on advanced trading platforms today.

thats more like a dashboard. I agree with op and his comments but the meat of the innovation is in the core code.. however for avg joes the interface is all they care about. Look UI is hard and often overlooked... it takes years and many iterations to get right unless your a seasoned UI expert. I think its getting closer but the simple mode is needed while advanced should be an option not mandatory.

It dont think it would be very hard to do this so perhaps while bts2.1 gets done the next ui can actually do this.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
It really depends on your user base.  Bitshares will most likely have a diverse set of users who will require many different types of interfaces.  Eventually, part of the target audience are guys like this:

The initial screen for tradars and investors may be a bit more advanced, such as the initial screen for poloniex (which has gained quite a bit of market share lately), td ameritrade, or any of the other leading online trading interfaces. 

However, I largely agree that initially the interface should be simple with advanced features just a click away.  As the system develops, more interfaces can be developed, catering to the casual user who just wants to send and receive bts to the sophisticated trader who utilizes many of the advanced trading functions available on advanced trading platforms today.

There will no doubt be lots of customization of the wallet for different user bases.  Ccedks opening screen will no doubt look very different than say a beyond bitcoin hosted wallet would look.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

38PTSWarrior

Hi peeps, I think there should be a disco version, with flickering outlines and all over crazy. 'crazy skin'.

Like the intro of a c64 cracking crew. That would be soo cool!

C64 Cracking, You took me way back!
For you :-P

https://youtu.be/SFqBkSJOYOQ

Offline Helikopterben

• View Profile

Offline Pheonike

Hi peeps, I think there should be a disco version, with flickering outlines and all over crazy. 'crazy skin'.

Like the intro of a c64 cracking crew. That would be soo cool!

C64 Cracking, You took me way back!

Tuck Fheman

I think the default ui should be stupid simple and easy with memes to get to the complicated stuff.

ftfy
 :P