Author Topic: Free college in Germany?  (Read 7503 times)

Offline jae208

• View Profile
You can pay a fee and get a certificate proving that you took a particular class and passed and transfer it over to a college of your choice. I haven't looked into it too much, you should check it out.

Looks like Antioch accepts it as credit, which wouldn't be a bad start, if I were willing to finish a degree at Antioch. Seems worth further consideration.

A degree really doesn't mean much these days. For instance, Bytemaster doesn't have a degree in cryptoequities and I guarantee you that he is doing much better now than he ever has in the past.

A degree is like permission to hire you for the good jobs, even if they're unskilled jobs and your degree is Sumerian Literature in the Acting World.

I'm never going to invent DPOS and IPO in a BOX.

I think you and everyone else, myself included is much better off learning new skills and using those skills to become a an entrepreneur, even if the only job you end up creating is for yourself.

I respect your ambition, but I just need to find something respectable, I wont be changing the world. I need a backup plan in case the huge risk I'm taking right now never pays off --that's why I'm freaking out right now. It doesn't even have to be college. I'm just aiming for 15-20 an hour. I was checking out places trying to be an optician apprentice the other day, for example, but they're all full up. I'm also stalking the postal service listings waiting for something to open up near me.

You should look into manufacturing jobs in your area. I'm not sure if all manufacturing jobs are like this but at the manufacturing job I worked at I'd work 3 days one week and 4 days the next week. Now, it was 12 hour shifts but even then I'd get several breaks throughout the shift and I was making $17.30 an hour. Also, I don't have a college degree just a high school diploma. Although I did go to college for a while but then stopped going because in my opinion a college degree doesn't really matter these days. Why? Well first let me make clear that I am not against learning or acquiring new skills. However, I am against believing that a college degree automatically earns you a great paying job, it may for some but I've seen too many people working in lower paying jobs despite the fact that they have a bachelors degree or something like that.

Our educational system worked well in a different time but it doesn't anymore and in my opinion you are more likely to go into large debt by believing that college is the only answer. It isn't. The memorization of information really isn't necessary because of the internet.

You have greater computational power in the palm of your hand with your smartphone and greater access to information than President Clinton did 20 years ago. I say this because you have access to tons of scientific literature through Google Scholar, you have access to all of human knowledge through wikipedia, you have access to the whole diy maker movement, access to tons of tutorials on a variety of subjects via youtube etc. In short you have the power to change the world thanks to the tools and access to information that are available to us today.

What this means in terms of economic opportunity is that despite what you see in the news or what people say about the way President Obama has steered the country we have greater opportunity today than previous generations ever did.

Smartpassiveincome.com is a great resource for making money online. Last I checked the guy was making over $80,000 a month via his blogs and podcasts. I'm not sure if that's something you'd be interested in, I thought I'd mention it though. :)

Anyways,  if you really want to go to college and you live in the United States I recommend you look for manufacturing jobs as they tend to pay a little better and they will reimburse thousands of dollars a year to further your education. Anyways I wish you the best man! :)

Actually, I'd say that Germany is probably one of the most innovative and forward thinking societies in the world. Germany is way ahead of the United States in preparing for the tgird industrial revolution.  They have a significant amount of electricity generated by renewables.
Heck I'm even considering moving to Germany now! Haha

Unfortunately,  the less scientifically minded bible thumping folk in the United States would try to stop renewable energy progress. *sigh* such a shame they are too short sighted.

http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

merockstar

You can pay a fee and get a certificate proving that you took a particular class and passed and transfer it over to a college of your choice. I haven't looked into it too much, you should check it out.

Looks like Antioch accepts it as credit, which wouldn't be a bad start, if I were willing to finish a degree at Antioch. Seems worth further consideration.

A degree really doesn't mean much these days. For instance, Bytemaster doesn't have a degree in cryptoequities and I guarantee you that he is doing much better now than he ever has in the past.

A degree is like permission to hire you for the good jobs, even if they're unskilled jobs and your degree is Sumerian Literature in the Acting World.

I'm never going to invent DPOS and IPO in a BOX.

I think you and everyone else, myself included is much better off learning new skills and using those skills to become a an entrepreneur, even if the only job you end up creating is for yourself.

I respect your ambition, but I just need to find something respectable, I wont be changing the world. I need a backup plan in case the huge risk I'm taking right now never pays off --that's why I'm freaking out right now. It doesn't even have to be college. I'm just aiming for 15-20 an hour. I was checking out places trying to be an optician apprentice the other day, for example, but they're all full up. I'm also stalking the postal service listings waiting for something to open up near me.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:53:05 am by merockstar »

Offline jae208

• View Profile
You can get free higher education from sites like coursera.com and udacity.com.
Coursera was founded by a stanford professor and they offer classes from many universities for free.
Udacity was started by the google engineer that was in charge of the self driving car project.

accredited?

It'd be a lie for me to tell you I'm only doing it for the knowledge. I want one of the employability papers (a degree).

EDIT: I know you can still find your way if you know your shit. toast, for example. but I'm not that smart. I need structure, and the option to seek conventional employment.

merockstar

Coursera was founded by a stanford professor and they offer classes from many universities for free.
Udacity was started by the google engineer that was in charge of the self driving car project.

accredited?

It'd be a lie for me to tell you I'm only doing it for the knowledge. I want one of the employability papers (a degree).

EDIT: I know you can still find your way if you know your shit. toast, for example. but I'm not that smart. I need structure, and the option to seek conventional employment.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:09:52 pm by merockstar »

Offline jae208

• View Profile

merockstar

I wanted to study Russian to live in Ukraine in the future   :P

But it's way more difficult than English.

I did notice that the Ukraine has a super low Gini Coefficient so I could see that for some people.

Then again, so does Ethiopia. So you can't base it all on that stat. What country you from initially?

:P  I'm in China.

It's not about the Gini Coefficient.

From what I've researched , the soil in Ukraine is richest(black soil) in the world,you can throw any seed in the soil and expect a good harvest.  :P   I think if the modern civilization were to destroyed someday in the future,a rich land is very valuable and useful for future generations.

And of course,the girls there is always a nice view than the rest of the world.(joking,still,it's true).

And,because of the lower economy,the pace there is really slow,I'm tired being fast.I'm tired of being not able to see the view on the road just because of .....I don't know,I don't even know why I need to walk fast.

But the language is really a buzz kill,Russian is hard to learn.

I agree with you so much on the pace thing. America is like that too, as I'm guessing you might be aware based on your use of the term buzz kill.

I'm still trying to figure out where I would go if I could though. Mind not completely made up.

:P You can always go to Virginia Tech to study,be part of the Bitshares team in the future.

I owe for previous student loans, so I can't go back unless I can pay those down first, or finance it myself.

Otherwise I would consider doing that.

The tuition in China is not that expensive,but I doubt you'll like the big city and the air quality.
An international college teaches in English costs 2600 USD a year,and 300 USD a month living cost is enough.(Assuming you live in campus)

I strongly considered getting a TOEFL and teaching in China or maybe South America. but I concluded that I need to stay somewhere in NA or Europe. That does sound dirt cheap though. I may have to revisit that possibility someday.

merockstar

I did notice that the Ukraine has a super low Gini Coefficient so I could see that for some people.

Then again, so does Ethiopia. So you can't base it all on that stat. What country you from initially?

From what I've researched , the soil in Ukraine is richest(black soil) in the world,you can throw any seed in the soil and expect a good harvest.  :P   I think if the modern civilization were to destroyed someday in the future,a rich land is very valuable and useful for future generations.

And of course,the girls there is always a nice view than the rest of the world.(joking,still,it's true).

And,because of the lower economy,the pace there is really slow,I'm tired being fast.I'm tired of being not able to see the view on the road just because of .....I don't know,I don't even know why I need to walk fast.

I agree with you so much on the pace thing. America is like that too, as I'm guessing you might be aware based on your use of the term buzz kill.

I'm still trying to figure out where I would go if I could though. Mind not completely made up.

:P You can always go to Virginia Tech to study,be part of the Bitshares team in the future.

I owe for previous student loans, so I can't go back unless I can pay those down first, or finance it myself.

Otherwise I would consider doing that.

merockstar

merockstar

Interesting. I think I'd prefer a much smaller town. I did the big city thing for a while just to experience it, but it wasn't me. Is it any cheaper living in a less populated area over there?

of course it is.. When i get time… i'll collect some of these smaller nice student towns if this could help you … on which study you want to focus on then?
This is important for collecting some cities for you … let me know ... you can also PM me etc... or even better skype ... do you have me skype contact?

If not pls PM me also ..

cheers
c

definitely don't go out of your way. you have more important things to do.

pm sent though.

merockstar

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:12:37 pm by merockstar »

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Interesting. I think I'd prefer a much smaller town. I did the big city thing for a while just to experience it, but it wasn't me. Is it any cheaper living in a less populated area over there?

of course it is.. When i get time… i'll collect some of these smaller nice student towns if this could help you … on which study you want to focus on then?
This is important for collecting some cities for you … let me know ... you can also PM me etc... or even better skype ... do you have me skype contact?

If not pls PM me also ..

cheers
c
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
The law that was passed, was a law against exposture of homo sexual propoganda and pheodophelia to minors... I think its a good law, in fact they should keep an eye on it, instead of just passing it.
As for gay people rights.... well apart from putting aside villagers (im sure you have nough red necks in the US) then gay people are fine and no one discrimintes them (not more then in other western countries, i spend 18 years in the west and dont see any difference).

As for coverage... well its like that in almost any country. If you live in Russia and watch chanell 1 (main chanell) then your perception of the world is going to be.... well, i can hardly describe it. Its like that in any place, you have to open your eyes and understand the propaganda machine. In the west that maschine works in a "great" way - poeple are made to believe that there is no propoganda and that what they think is their own conclusions. Over here the propaganda is slightly different - its old school. They wash your brain to make you think different and tell you that you shouldnt have an opinion - but who listens? So thats my conclusion, id rather have an opinion of my own then be brain washed to think that i have that opinion. Sorry if it all sounds confusing

btsx - bitsharesrussia

merockstar

No worries, for some strange reason people think its still 19th century here. Well Russia is just VERY different from the West, it will never be the same as the West. The thing is people dont want it to be that way. Even people that belong to the opposition dont want to follow the West footsteps, wheter in culture, development ways, laws or whatever else.

You said it yourself, the news. There have been many news reports about Putin trying to pass anti-gay laws. I wikipedia'd it after your post and the act itself appears to still be legal though. I'm not gay, but it's important to me that I live somewhere people can be themselves.

So defently you are right about culture shock, as its nothing alike Europe. As for the Ukraine part - well.... i dont know to what extent you guys are expossed to the information in your media, but i highly doubt there will be a third world war begging over the situation. For now the situation has slighlty stabilized, although there are still a few hundred thousand refugees from the Ukraine in Russia. As for whatever anyone tells you - well Russia pays daily income to those refugees per person and helps with finding homes and jobs. I am personally involved in those situation so no need for me to watch the news over this one )))
Im sure at the end of the day the situation will stabilize and it will take some years to bring it to what it was (10-20 years) but thats just the beggining, unfortantly things like what happened in the Ukraine will begin to happen more frequently across the world and Europe too i believe.

Folks here were pretty concerned about it a month or two ago, though now that concern has completely evaporated and been replaced by ISIS fears. I'm sick of all this FUD and lack of objectiveness in reporting so that's another reason immigrating appeals to me.

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
only no one has banned btc (yet) here and no one is looking down on homos (well no more then in any other country).... dont believe the tv mate

My apologies. Still on the fence about that though. A European country would be a huge change for me, but it would still be Western, you know? I don't know if I could handle Russian culture shock. I'd also be afraid because of the Ukraine situation... in the event the US were to get drawn into a conflict with Russia I'd be the guy with the American accent.

No worries, for some strange reason people think its still 19th century here. Well Russia is just VERY different from the West, it will never be the same as the West. The thing is people dont want it to be that way. Even people that belong to the opposition dont want to follow the West footsteps, wheter in culture, development ways, laws or whatever else.
So defently you are right about culture shock, as its nothing alike Europe. As for the Ukraine part - well.... i dont know to what extent you guys are expossed to the information in your media, but i highly doubt there will be a third world war begging over the situation. For now the situation has slighlty stabilized, although there are still a few hundred thousand refugees from the Ukraine in Russia. As for whatever anyone tells you - well Russia pays daily income to those refugees per person and helps with finding homes and jobs. I am personally involved in those situation so no need for me to watch the news over this one )))
Im sure at the end of the day the situation will stabilize and it will take some years to bring it to what it was (10-20 years) but thats just the beggining, unfortantly things like what happened in the Ukraine will begin to happen more frequently across the world and Europe too i believe.
btsx - bitsharesrussia

merockstar

To be honest, i don't think you'll study and live etc. for 2-4 years in germany for 30-40bitEur.. you should min. plan with 1k bitEUR a month ... if you wanna go out sometimes…having some beer ;)

And it depends a lot of the city you want to live and study in ...

i am biased but germany is a good choice :D and just choose a international course so most of the studies are in english (german english :D )

maybe choose some city with old US Army Bases like Heidelberg etc. or just Berlin, Munich etc.

i see no need to learn german. it is difficult and not needed for students. if you not to have to deal with old folks you will be fine with english. in some big companies the official company speak is english.

i traveled through Australia after my studies and i enjoyed the different culture. makes you better.

No friggin way Jose. If I'm going to Germany I'm learning some German :) I would want something in a STEM field so my future options wouldn't be limited. Also I love the idea of learning a second language anyway. I've already pointed my duolingo account at German and gotten started.

Also, even if I weren't interested in other languages I'd still try to learn anyway because I wouldn't want to be the stereotypical American who thinks English should be the only language on the planet.

Low- or zero-tuition college still isn't free — the amount of time you will devote to this pursuit will (probably) be enormous.

What's your end goal?

Having already enjoyed the life experience of getting kicked out of a private liberal arts college after two years for failing grades, I've come to terms with the idea that a higher education, especially in a different country, is going to be a HELL OF A LOT OF WORK. I know what I'd be getting into this time and I'm willing to put in the effort.

My end goal is to be qualified for employment that would allow me a modern, reasonable standard of living. A STEM degree would open up so many options, I'd be able to move to practically any place I wanted, though I'd likely pick Germany if I liked it there, just cause I'd want to give back to the place that educated me.

only no one has banned btc (yet) here and no one is looking down on homos (well no more then in any other country).... dont believe the tv mate

My apologies. Still on the fence about that though. A European country would be a huge change for me, but it would still be Western, you know? I don't know if I could handle Russian culture shock. I'd also be afraid because of the Ukraine situation... in the event the US were to get drawn into a conflict with Russia I'd be the guy with the American accent.

in general:

Earlier I said that if I could save up that much money I may as well go to college here, but I've been reconsidering that, I'd still have to live here AND pay tuition. Now that I've slept on it a couple days Germany still sounds like a sweet option-- since I kind of have this urge to experience a new culture anyway.

Honestly I'm just kind of a lost puppy considering his options. I'm open to suggestions if people have them (in fact I have a whole other thread dedicated to dreaming about where in the world I'd live if I had a choice).