Author Topic: Let's peg stock market indices: S&P, Dow, Nasdaq  (Read 13019 times)

Offline amencon

• View Profile
I was under the impression we weren't even at the actively attract investors and users stage yet.  Weren't the bugs going to get ironed out, the new wallet designed by Bitsapphire, and THEN all the secret sauce marketing strategies would be employed?
Yea I agree that's why I said...
they need a good 1-3 year track record
They will probably have all of that stuff done before bitUSD hits its 1 year anniversary. But that's when I think people will start to take it seriously.
Oops sorry think I quoted the wrong comment?  Not sure but yeah my response doesn't make sense now that I re-read it.  It's late, time to quit the internet for the night.  Anyway I agree that serious investors won't take notice until we are out of beta (no more filp flops on core design principals) and the system is shown to be working and stable for a relatively long period of time.  Maybe shorter than Bitcoin, but still years in my opinion.  Debit cards and other useful features will hopefully attract more casual users much sooner than that though.

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
I was under the impression we weren't even at the actively attract investors and users stage yet.  Weren't the bugs going to get ironed out, the new wallet designed by Bitsapphire, and THEN all the secret sauce marketing strategies would be employed?
Yea I agree that's why I said...
they need a good 1-3 year track record
They will probably have all of that stuff done before bitUSD hits its 1 year anniversary. But that's when I think people will start to take it seriously.

Offline amencon

• View Profile
+5% OP
But I think this should wait. Right now we need to focus on bitUSD and getting more volume on there. If we introduce a new asset that is popular then we might have very low volume on both. If it did happen though I for one would move all of my investment from the INX into bitINX!

Edit: Also I think most people who are just short term speculating on the INX would want to be able to go from bitINX to bitUSD directly. I know it's not possible right now but would that be possible in the future?

Suppose everyone who is interested in BitUSD is already using it? How do you attract new people to use Bitshares X?
The thing is I think we still have to "prove" that bitassets will actually work. As in, they need a good 1-3 year track record before we can attract that crowd. Just look at bitGLD we thought that would attract so many "gold bugs" but it has such a low market cap. I think before we can attract people to other assets we need a good track record for at least one.

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
+5% OP
But I think this should wait. Right now we need to focus on bitUSD and getting more volume on there. If we introduce a new asset that is popular then we might have very low volume on both. If it did happen though I for one would move all of my investment from the INX into bitINX!

Edit: Also I think most people who are just short term speculating on the INX would want to be able to go from bitINX to bitUSD directly. I know it's not possible right now but would that be possible in the future?

Suppose everyone who is interested in BitUSD is already using it? How do you attract new people to use Bitshares X?
The thing is I think we still have to "prove" that bitassets will actually work. As in, they need a good 1-3 year track record before we can attract that crowd. Just look at bitGLD we thought that would attract so many "gold bugs" but it has such a low market cap. I think before we can attract people to other assets we need a good track record for at least one.

Offline amencon

• View Profile
It wont happen. Many people here will cite how it will upset regulators and cause negative publicity.

I don't recall hearing objections to this, but it will certainly happen.

Either in BTSX once we have sufficient cap/depth, or in a 3rd party clone.

Weeks ago I suggested something similar to this and someone freaked out about the SEC and the risk.

I hope we can do it ASAP though. We need at least one stock index to trade. If we want to lower the risk then pick something from a country other than the USA since a lot of US delegates seem to be freaking out. Go with the London stock exchange instead.

Hmmm. Now that you mention it, maybe it would be to our advantage to select only delegates from "safe" countries. I'm really glad we got into discussing this Luckybit (in the cannabis thread), it's really opening me up to the massive potential of BTSX. If we don't issue in-demand but controversial assets, I'm willing to bet someone will fork the exchange and do it with or without us.
For the record I'm a US delegate and I'd have little problem posting feeds for this.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
The reason for not adding new markets at this time, such as indices, is not so much because of controversy but much more because current markets are so thin.

Further dilution at this time would be counterproductive.

Agree.  This is something for the future.  There are many things BTS can do, theres commodity exchange in a futures market (wayyyy bigger market than stock exchange), other currencies to launch first (bitEUR, bitSLV) to market to forex traders and a strenghening of the flagship asset, bitUSD.  BM mentioned marketing may consist well made videos sent to email lists of 100,000s of forex traders.  If thats the case we want the strongest bitcurrencies and bitGLD and bitSLV before going into stocks.

Imo

bitcurrencies ---> bitcommodities ----> bitstocks

And there may be way to launch bitstocks is more regulatory friendly ways by tracking the price of certain funds rather than the actual stock (or something, I know nothing about this).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:28:33 am by matt608 »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I think you have under estimated US's reach. they have jurisdiction on the internet regardless of where a site/delegate is located.. aslong as US citizens are involved.
Prove it! Show some evidence of this from any legal case or example.

I call FUD on this myth. I've seen this myth touted over and over yet the SEC has never gone out of it's jurisdiction. So now I'm supposed to believe the SEC would call in help from the NSA to stop some BitAsset? If they were going to do that they'd use their reach to ban Bitcoin.

Also if it's true that the US government has "jurisdiction on the Internet regardless of where a site/delegate is located" then couldn't the exact same excuse be used by every other government on the earth? That would mean Iran, China and Russia would have jurisdiction over Bitshares X and the delegates as long as they can prove Chinese , Russian and Iranian citizens are involved? Do you realize what your statement means and what precedent it will set?

Or do these special rules only apply to the United States? Once again show me precedent where the United States has done this otherwise it's a myth. I've never seen the SEC even approach that kind of power and it's much more likely the IRS would try that than the SEC.

When the SEC attempted to investigate Satoshi Dice did they have extrajudicial powers? They couldn't reach overseas in that instance yet you think they can for Bitshares X? If the SEC can do that then those same special powers apply to the European Commission to investigate US citizens right?  Unless US citizens cooperate with their investigation then it's not going to work, and unless foreign citizens cooperate with the SEC then the SEC cannot do what you say it can.

How is XCP "locked" to the bitcoin blockchain in a way that BTS isn't? I'm sure if locking is an issue they can use the viacoin blockchain to achieve the results they want and use clearing house instead.
Right now they are using Bitcoin. The longer they use Bitcoin the harder it will be to move to something else.
What I meant was that they may not be on our side per se as in giving an explicit nod of approval but at least make some headway and use XCP to our advantage.. we are pretty much ready to create these assets any time.. so picking and marketing at the right  moment is crucial to achieve the network affect... once we get out of the stratosphere we can release new products to reach space and beyond.

Opportunity cost. You can do something at any time so why do it now? Because of opportunity cost. The same reasoning Bytemaster is using for the urgency of this merger/dilution proposal.

Anyways stock exchange indexes aren't meant to be part of the I3 block chain as per original design, a third party is to integrate this on a seperate blockchain, so you can create it if you so desire.

Neither is dilution. None of your arguments make any sense. You're basically arguing that the SEC is the all powerful and can arrest foreign delegates in pursuit of victimless crimes. All of this assuming that foreign delegates in China or somewhere would cooperate with the SEC? Would a US delegate cooperate with the CSRC? The next argument you made is that stock index "aren't meant" to be part of the I3 blockchain as per original design? We aren't on the original design anymore.

At this point we are willing to entertain dilution and combine the VOTE DAC into Bitshares X yet there is fear of the SEC targeting not just US delegates but foreign delegates in order to fine them for launching BitAssets? Yet there is no concern about how a crypto-merger might upset the FTC?
http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/mergers-and-competition/merger-review

My opinion is that perhaps some of the money raised during dilution should go to a legal fund. In addition perhaps there are too many US delegates. If the SEC is willing to go into China or Russia to destroy Bitshares then China and Russia would also have to go into the USA to destroy Bitshares. In either of these cases I doubt either government is ever going to appreciate what Bitshares can do because the very existence of this technology is disruptive.

I think if it's obviously illegal then that is one thing but the SEC hasn't given any indication that any of this is illegal. If it's not illegal then launch the BitAssets. If you're an American then at least I could understand being cautious but I thought Bitsharex X was global and decentralized? Why are US specific politics holding so much influence?

I'd be interested in this too, maybe we could track Vanguard ETFs like VOO/VTI:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0970&FundIntExt=INT
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0968&FundIntExt=INT

I don't invest in these because of French tax laws, it's far more profitable for me to invest in european stocks using a tax-free account, but those accounts can't be used for American stocks (only European stocks accepted).

Might wanna wait with this though until we have more traction on bitUSD and other major assets.

That is what I'd like to see. I think at this point with all the talk about mergers, VOTE DACs and everything but the actual BitAsset functionality we seem to forget the whole point of the project. In order to attract users there has to be a lot of desirable BitAssets.

Some excuses which might make sense is that perhaps there isn't enough users yet which means a chicken and egg problem. On the one hand you can't get new users if you don't add bitStocks and bitIndexes but then without a critical mass of users it will not generate much revenue.

I think the focus on BitUSD competing with Bitcoin at this time just isn't as compelling as being able to trade stocks. If we could get our price feeds up and running we could do things that no other technology could do.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:37:12 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
+5% OP

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline svk

I'd be interested in this too, maybe we could track Vanguard ETFs like VOO/VTI:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0970&FundIntExt=INT
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0968&FundIntExt=INT

I don't invest in these because of French tax laws, it's far more profitable for me to invest in european stocks using a tax-free account, but those accounts can't be used for American stocks (only European stocks accepted).

Might wanna wait with this though until we have more traction on bitUSD and other major assets.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Lets get thru the stratosphere first and get SEC on our side first.

LMAO you're naive. Why don't you focus on getting the CIA on your side first? I'm sure shareholders around the world care about some US government agency right?

The SEC is not going to be "on our side" anytime soon. Also there really isn't any way to get them "on our side" if we wanted to. Finally, the idea that the US delegates would be focused on trying to avoid upsetting the SEC is a bad omen.

Of course if you're a US citizen you don't want to make enemies with your government but there are no actual securities on Bitshares X. Also Bitshares X has no need for an SEC so the idea of working with the SEC only makes sense if you're trading actual legal securities.

The SEC could go after Bitshares X delegates in the USA so I suppose Bitshares X delegates in the USA have something to fear but what about the shareholders? What about the long term vision which isn't just about the USA?

The only thing I ever cash out crypto for is to diversify into S&P 500.  I'd support it. Where would you source the price feeds?

Ton of mt4 brokers offer S&P and other exchanges... or use Interactive Brokers api which offers ALL of the exchanges worldwide... but I think this should come way after... if we think regulators turn a blind eye.. they wont with this I think. Even if no fiat is exchanged do you think there is some jurisdiction for regulators to come down on bitshares somehow?

Fear of regulators? The problem could be that we have too many delegates from the United States and I say that as a United States citizen. If all the delegates become terrified of the SEC to the point where they wont launch any controversial BitAssets then the SEC is using phantom authority to control the functionality of Bitshares X.

You think all the interesting BitAssets should come way after? Way after what? Let Counterparty take all the risks and get all the rewards? If Bitshares X does that then eventually shareholders will buy XCP.

Worst of all we don't even have BitXCP which means they have to cash out of Bitshares X. If BitXCP existed on the Bitshares X chain then there wouldn't be a reason for people to leave Bitshares X even when they want to hedge with XCP. It would only make sense to leave to actually use XCP and at this rate XCP seems to be willing to take all the risks with the least fear.

I don't really prefer Counterparty the technology, I don't really like the fact that he's locked into the Bitcoin blockchain, but at least they are trying to be disruptive to force society to react to them rather than the other way around.

I think you have under estimated US's reach. they have jurisdiction on the internet regardless of where a site/delegate is located.. aslong as US citizens are involved.

How is XCP "locked" to the bitcoin blockchain in a way that BTS isn't? I'm sure if locking is an issue they can use the viacoin blockchain to achieve the results they want and use clearing house instead.

What I meant was that they may not be on our side per se as in giving an explicit nod of approval but at least make some headway and use XCP to our advantage.. we are pretty much ready to create these assets any time.. so picking and marketing at the right  moment is crucial to achieve the network affect... once we get out of the stratosphere we can release new products to reach space and beyond.

Anyways stock exchange indexes aren't meant to be part of the I3 block chain as per original design, a third party is to integrate this on a seperate blockchain, so you can create it if you so desire.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:23:19 am by jsidhu »
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
 +5% OP

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:34:04 am by Mysto »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Lets get thru the stratosphere first and get SEC on our side first.

LMAO you're naive. Why don't you focus on getting the CIA on your side first? I'm sure shareholders around the world care about some US government agency right?

The SEC is not going to be "on our side" anytime soon. Also there really isn't any way to get them "on our side" if we wanted to. Finally, the idea that the US delegates would be focused on trying to avoid upsetting the SEC is a bad omen.

Of course if you're a US citizen you don't want to make enemies with your government but there are no actual securities on Bitshares X. Also Bitshares X has no need for an SEC so the idea of working with the SEC only makes sense if you're trading actual legal securities.

The SEC could go after Bitshares X delegates in the USA so I suppose Bitshares X delegates in the USA have something to fear but what about the shareholders? What about the long term vision which isn't just about the USA?

The only thing I ever cash out crypto for is to diversify into S&P 500.  I'd support it. Where would you source the price feeds?

Ton of mt4 brokers offer S&P and other exchanges... or use Interactive Brokers api which offers ALL of the exchanges worldwide... but I think this should come way after... if we think regulators turn a blind eye.. they wont with this I think. Even if no fiat is exchanged do you think there is some jurisdiction for regulators to come down on bitshares somehow?

Fear of regulators? The problem could be that we have too many delegates from the United States and I say that as a United States citizen. If all the delegates become terrified of the SEC to the point where they wont launch any controversial BitAssets then the SEC is using phantom authority to control the functionality of Bitshares X.

You think all the interesting BitAssets should come way after? Way after what? Let Counterparty take all the risks and get all the rewards? If Bitshares X does that then eventually shareholders will buy XCP.

Worst of all we don't even have BitXCP which means they have to cash out of Bitshares X. If BitXCP existed on the Bitshares X chain then there wouldn't be a reason for people to leave Bitshares X even when they want to hedge with XCP. It would only make sense to leave to actually use XCP and at this rate XCP seems to be willing to take all the risks with the least fear.

I don't really prefer Counterparty the technology, I don't really like the fact that he's locked into the Bitcoin blockchain, but at least they are trying to be disruptive to force society to react to them rather than the other way around.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:16:13 am by luckybit »

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
and get SEC on our side first.
-5%

atleast leverage overstock/counterparty legal issues or findings.. which we are also paying for... just dont go into it blind.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
The reason for not adding new markets at this time, such as indices, is not so much because of controversy but much more because current markets are so thin.

Further dilution at this time would be counterproductive.
What do you mean?

I mean there is very little trading in the existing four main assets now. Adding more would further fragment the existing pool of funds from people willing to hold assets. Getting in and out would be more difficult.

I see what you mean. Perhaps we need a more in-demand BitAsset to kickstart growth though?
DJIA with interest... if this is not a killer asset I do not know what is...

What percentage of your btsx holdings wiill you be willing to lock up in DJIA?

p.s. I was the first person to buy bitBTC (hoping to kickstart the market), and the market remained so thin that I got stuck there for a much longer time then I wished.

THe question is when will I convert all of my other investments to BTSX in order to buy the DJIA, S&P 500 assets.  :)
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Pheonike

Instead of individual stocks, could we track index funds.