Author Topic: Cannot sync new client if less 2G Ram  (Read 2140 times)

zerosum

A significant memory leak has been found and fixed for upcoming v0.4.24: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/759

Seem likely to be the same issue, but if not

when the client is running (regular use, not re-indexing) for long time (hours) the memory consumed grows steadily. I have seen it reaching 700 MB but often it go to 500+ MB.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 05:24:21 am by tonyk2 »

Offline vikram

A significant memory leak has been found and fixed for upcoming v0.4.24: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/759

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
It works; I've done syncing in multiple stages before when I was trying to figure out if the fact that later blocks sync slower than earlier blocks is because of this excessive memory usage.  (spoiler: it's not, later blocks are just as slow when the client's memory usage is 500MB as they are when it's 2GB.)

The new 0.4.23.1 build lets you sync from scratch without stopping.
Sure it works for syncing, I always sync this way in my winxp box.
But I don't think it will work for re-indexing..
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline emf

• View Profile
It works; I've done syncing in multiple stages before when I was trying to figure out if the fact that later blocks sync slower than earlier blocks is because of this excessive memory usage.  (spoiler: it's not, later blocks are just as slow when the client's memory usage is 500MB as they are when it's 2GB.)

The new 0.4.23.1 build lets you sync from scratch without stopping.

zerosum

The next build will allow 32-bit windows clients access to another gigabyte of RAM, which is enough to allow it to sync or re-index the blockchain (at least for another week or two).

The only way I can think to do it with the current win32 build is to sync from the network in several stages.  Launch the client and watch the memory in Task Manager.  When you see it getting near 2GB, shutdown and launch again.  After two or three tries, you should be up to date.

I was thinking of doing this and was also advised that this might work. Did you try it already?

Offline emf

• View Profile
The next build will allow 32-bit windows clients access to another gigabyte of RAM, which is enough to allow it to sync or re-index the blockchain (at least for another week or two).

The only way I can think to do it with the current win32 build is to sync from the network in several stages.  Launch the client and watch the memory in Task Manager.  When you see it getting near 2GB, shutdown and launch again.  After two or three tries, you should be up to date.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
I'm running the client in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. (maybe debug mode?)
Every time re-indexing the block chain database, it eats more RAM, say about 3GB for 0.4.20, more than 3GB for 0.4.23.
So.. if you run the client with less than 3G RAM, it's better to start from an empty database, don't upgrade from a old chain database.

Another experience in a old version of client: when syncing from a chain server, the client eats more and more RAM as well. Restart works. Maybe there is a memory leak bug.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline joele

• View Profile
I have 32bit win7 with 8G ram but only 3G available due to 32bit win7 system allocation

I backed up my /BitSharesX dir (database) so I can restore and repeat the syncing.

Installed 0.4.23 and start syncing, while at 82% complete it eats up 98% of my available memory then crash.

So I tried memory optimizer software still crash, also tried different approach still it crashes due to low memory.

The only way to sync it is in the client mode that will take hours even days to complete.
or just upgrade your memory.

FYI

edit: I managed to optimized the RAM and still it keep crashing at 82%, so I guess it's not the RAM, something with the 32bit for this version.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:23:09 pm by joele »