Author Topic: Blockchain citizenship, is it a good idea or crazy?  (Read 3379 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Exactly how much weed do you smoke, Luckybit ?

I do kinda like the idea of a BTS citizen perhaps as some way to build team/community.  Not sure how it would pan out.

BTW I have nothing against people smoking weed, I'm just curious...
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline onceuponatime

Individuals are sovereign. Blockchains are to serve them.
Show me a sovereign individual. I haven't met any.

I think it's the exact opposite. Individuals have to physically reside somewhere and cannot be sovereign entities in and of themselves (legally). Blockchains don't reside anywhere except in cyberspace and no one nation state should own cyberspace.

Aren't corporations considered people? So you could argue that a blockchain is as much a sovereign person as a corporation is.

That argument only works if one assumes governments are corporations since the OP was alluding to it as a governmental body.  ;)

If you're asking my personal beliefs then I do not believe governments are corporations. I believe governments are military organizations primarily because that is where their power comes from. You could also say they are police or para-military organizations with religious or ideological motivations in many cases.

It's actually very rare for a government to actually be a corporation. Maybe a mafia organization could be like a corporation with government functions but nation states typically aren't.

If we want to really answer the question as to what a government is by the dictionary then it's just a social structure people use to manage resources, provide accountability, and order.

Meet a sovereign individual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06VzxxDTnB8

Offline onceuponatime

Aren't corporations considered people? So you could argue that a blockchain is as much a sovereign person as a corporation is.

Not in my book they're (corporations) not. The concept is absurd (any Supreme Court rulings notwithstanding).

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
How many people here view the blockchain as sovereign or think it should be sovereign?

I believe people(s) are or should be owned by (them) blockchain(s).

And the blockchain(s), especially the  PoW one, should own them people(s).

What other reasons, there are for them to be called chains?

[To the OP's question - "Crazy one"... same goes to the cooperative one, the gift economy one...and as usual to the mining one]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:17:58 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Show me a sovereign individual. I haven't met any.

I think it's the exact opposite. Individuals have to physically reside somewhere and cannot be sovereign entities in and of themselves (legally). Blockchains don't reside anywhere except in cyberspace and no one nation state should own cyberspace.

That argument only works if one assumes governments are corporations since the OP was alluding to it as a governmental body.  ;)

If you're asking my personal beliefs then I do not believe governments are corporations. I believe governments are military organizations primarily because that is where their power comes from. You could also say they are police or para-military organizations with religious or ideological motivations in many cases.

It's actually very rare for a government to actually be a corporation. Maybe a mafia organization could be like a corporation with government functions but nation states typically aren't.

If we want to really answer the question as to what a government is by the dictionary then it's just a social structure people use to manage resources, provide accountability, and order.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:05:14 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline yellowecho

696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Offline yellowecho

Offline onceuponatime

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Citizen of Bitshares, is that crazy or is it possible? What would it even mean?

It could be (and likely will be done in the future.  Legal framework could be voted on through consensus and those registered on the chain could be held liable.  Being recognized as a nation under law is a completely different matter.

If the blockchain allowed for 'citizens' to easily secede then I'd sign up and slap a barcode on my arm.  ;)

Why would you have to succeed? Why wouldn't the law recognize the sovereignty of the blockchain if enough people want it?

As long as everyone respects the laws of traditional governments in the jurisdiction they are in why wouldn't those governments want to partner up with blockchain governments? It could be mutually beneficial.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline yellowecho

It could be (and likely will be done in the future.  Legal framework could be voted on through consensus and those registered on the chain could be held liable.  Being recognized as a nation under law is a completely different matter.

If the blockchain allowed for 'citizens' to easily secede then I'd sign up and slap a barcode on my arm.  ;)

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

What do you even mean?

I have an account on a blockchain that I assume can not be removed and have actively fought proposals suggesting that the account names be removed by voting systems.  Where's that put me in this poll ?

Immigrants welcome! Citizenship in less than five minutes! :)
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile

What do you even mean?

I have an account on a blockchain that I assume can not be removed and have actively fought proposals suggesting that the account names be removed by voting systems.  Where's that put me in this poll ?

Offline gamey

• View Profile

What do you even mean?

I speak for myself and only myself.