Author Topic: Adaptability vs consistency  (Read 986 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
+5% ...
some people here complain about the "hardfork" that should be avoided at all cost not seeing the benefits an "evolving" ecosystem can bring ..

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
The majority of posts I see which are complaining about the quick changes are the result of rapid adaptations that the community must make in order to survive. These adaptations may not always be comfortable but in many cases if they are not made there will not be a community to back the product. Community building is extremely important for these sorts of products and it's more difficult to build a community than it is to build a product.

The community builder has to come up with an ecosystem which is future proof. This means it has to grow and be able to adapt to the new incoming members without alienating different factions of current members. What I see now with Bitshares is a lot of speculators are getting hurt by the price movements but the truth is that in the big picture Bitshares was never supposed to be just another pump and dump altcoin.

In order for Bitshares to survive as a community it must be able to adapt quickly. I think we can criticize the decision making process and a lot can be improved on that front. I think once we have Bitshares VOTE so that we can vote on new proposals we can have better processes for our distributed decision making functionality. One of the key differences between Bitshares and Bitcoin is the fact that Bitshares can make decisions, adapt quickly, and as a result it will be able to survive in the long term.

Difficult decisions have to be made in a competitive environment. Not everyone will understand how important Bitshares VOTE is but I do. Not everyone understands how important Turing complete scripting will be but I do. The people who can see the brilliance in these designs can see that the DAC itself will be able to adapt to our feedback. The DACs which adapt the quickest, most effectively, to the preferences of the community of users, will be the DACs which survive the competitive market environment.

Whether or not I agree with every decision of the community I'm on the side of advancing adaptability, flexibility, and innovation. This will allow the community to adjust, adapt, and change with the times to become future proof. This means if we have to change language, change source code, improve processes, that is the whole point because it evolves that way.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:04:46 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads