Author Topic: Official Ubuntu builds  (Read 6784 times)

iHashFury

(..)See my PPA in my signature for packages. (..)

Dear mqifrnswa!
Could You please check on the quality of the most recent bitshares build for Ubuntu?

1. After launching the program it complains immediately:
JSON Parse error: Property name must be a string literal [show details]

2. In bottom right corner the connection indicator always shows 'Not connected'

This bug was closed by valzav with explenation that it is hard to replicate.
https://github.com/BitShares/web_wallet/issues/420

But I obtained same results on two separate machines:
a) Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
b) Ubuntu 14.10 (almost fresh install)

I installed win7 in virtual environment to check for comparison and windows version doesn't report these json parsing bugs.
My thought of the day is that before cluttering GitHub more with bug reports we could first check the build if it is compiled against correct libs, etc.

+5%

Offline hammurabi

• View Profile
(..)See my PPA in my signature for packages. (..)

Dear mqifrnswa!
Could You please check on the quality of the most recent bitshares build for Ubuntu?

1. After launching the program it complains immediately:
JSON Parse error: Property name must be a string literal [show details]

2. In bottom right corner the connection indicator always shows 'Not connected'

This bug was closed by valzav with explenation that it is hard to replicate.
https://github.com/BitShares/web_wallet/issues/420

But I obtained same results on two separate machines:
a) Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
b) Ubuntu 14.10 (almost fresh install)

I installed win7 in virtual environment to check for comparison and windows version doesn't report these json parsing bugs.
My thought of the day is that before cluttering GitHub more with bug reports we could first check the build if it is compiled against correct libs, etc.

Offline DACSunlimited

• View Profile
I directed DSL to this thread. Thanks maqifrnswa.

Thank you, Toast.

Offline DACSunlimited

• View Profile
I've offered to help them set up secure auto-builders and PPAs, but they don't seem to be interested. See my PPA in my signature for packages. As for whether or not you can trust me, you already do if you run Ubuntu or Debian.I have direct upload access to Debian and Ubuntu directly takes my packages from Debian and ships them in Ubuntu.  You are already running my packages on your system for some crucial libraries (e.g., zlib). I posted a signed message in my delegate thread that is signed with the same key that is already on your machine (if you run Debian, otherwise you can install it by installing "debian-keyring" in ubuntu).

Thank You for the work done on both Bitshares PPA and Debian.
Will surely delegate You as soon as I get this gui client working :)

In fact I have already sourced your ppa into my system.
But there is only cli tool and no GUI version to please my laziness.
(I believe there are many like me. I could have been using bitshares but since there is no ready-to-use tool I just don't).

I hope 'dacsunlimited' will recognize your fruitful efforts and agree to incorporate your auto-builders.
If they don't it will be a clear message that they are doing a sabotage on the project!

We are not doing a sabotage on the project, being surprised people are saying in this way. And confusing about where does these misunderstanding come from.

There is a lot of Linux distributions, as we announced before, we are not going to have Linux GUI Support currently, it is not our high priority. Most of the users working on Linux have the ability to built from source following the guide.

But we're very grateful for the work from maqifrnswa, the only thing left is to get the package verified and published I guess, I'm not familiar with PPA, please file an issue on https://github.com/dacsunlimited/bitsharesx/issues, and then we can discuss and get it done.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:30:38 am by DACSunlimited »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I directed DSL to this thread. Thanks maqifrnswa.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
I've offered to help them set up secure auto-builders and PPAs, but they don't seem to be interested. See my PPA in my signature for packages. As for whether or not you can trust me, you already do if you run Ubuntu or Debian.I have direct upload access to Debian and Ubuntu directly takes my packages from Debian and ships them in Ubuntu.  You are already running my packages on your system for some crucial libraries (e.g., zlib). I posted a signed message in my delegate thread that is signed with the same key that is already on your machine (if you run Debian, otherwise you can install it by installing "debian-keyring" in ubuntu).

(I believe there are many like me. I could have been using bitshares but since there is no ready-to-use tool I just don't).

I hope 'dacsunlimited' will recognize your fruitful efforts and agree to incorporate your auto-builders.
If they don't it will be a clear message that they are doing a sabotage on the project!

OHHH! Thank you for pointing out the GUI isn't set up right... I'll fix it right now. The GUI is included, it was just installed in the wrong place...
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline hammurabi

• View Profile

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
http://jenkins.bitshares.org/

Not sure who's maintaining it though ..
With the changes to the superDAC this will hopefully be reactivated .. until then BTSX is totally separated from I3 and managed by DacSunLimited .. We have no clue why they don't publish packages for ubuntu :(

Offline hammurabi

• View Profile
I would like to "vote" on maintaining official ubuntu build/ppa/something with GUI.
For competitors it isn't a big deal. Somehow for bitsharesx it is!

Some says that maintainers cannot be trusted thus we have to compile for ourselves. But at the same time windows binaries are happily being put out for downloading. That is a heresy:)

As I recall there was a quite fat (2000pts) bounty on autobuild with Jenkins feature. Was this brilliant idea scrapped already?