Author Topic: Proposal: To Relaunch KeyID as new (third-party) BitShares DNS DAC  (Read 12634 times)

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline fuzzy

I understand why BM might feel like he needs to focus his energies, but I see no reason why our community must do the same.  I personally plan to continue to support (whether financially or other) multiple future tech initiatives.

+5%  Exactly how I feel.

We are going to have a bigger bitshares ecosystem.  I am all the more excited and see a bright future for the bitshares world.    :)

bit by bit...!
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
  I understand why BM might feel like he needs to focus his energies, but I see no reason why our community must do the same.  I personally plan to continue to support (whether financially or other) multiple future tech initiatives.

+5%  Exactly how I feel.

We are going to have a bigger bitshares ecosystem.  I am all the more excited and see a bright future for the bitshares world.    :)
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline fuzzy

+5%  Exactly how I feel.

Offline amencon

• View Profile
I support this initiative.  The worst that happens is that this spinoff of DNS DAC is out-competed by BTS.  If some innovation is created with this new DNS DAC and BTS copies it, then all the better.  I'd imagine many people will be invested in both anyway.

Put me on whatever list or mailings you plan if this does move forward.

Thanks.

As I see it, the value proposition can go MUCH farther.  Imagine, for instance, that a talented group of developers decide to fork DNS to make a new chain with different innovations (or to make it more friendly to a certain jurisdiction).  Those Devs essentially snapshot current ownership in the forked chain with a large %, can give themselves a small stake or allot a small % for a crowd sale to gain funding to test their metal against other chains' devs.  Those who are successful have NOW MADE A NAME for themselves to the degree where if BTS doesn't pick them up, another SuperDAC will.  If not, the task of simply building on the DNS fork (or even PTS, VOTE...etc for that matter) will likely have made them capable of building their own SuperDAC to rival others. 

Think bigger guys and girls!  This is a potential Multi-Trillion Dollar Industry!  Imagine being sharedropped on 10 different DNS forks, holding them all for 10 years and 2-3 of them ending up reaching valuations of 1+ Billion Dollars, just to be bought out by a SuperDAC (or maybe even more than 1).  Then you have made off QUITE nicely.  If this game is played right and developers know that supporting the community with significant sharedrops is a viable means by which they can earn attention and work to attain legitimacy in the industry...we have essentially made a very positive feedback loop that also protects us with the power of a diversified marketplace while protecting from corruption and also potentially making original holders very wealthy.... 

People see this as bad but I think that is just fear and impatience talking. I see this as potentially one of the best things I could ever imagine.  Sure, it MIGHT take a very small portion of the BTS valuation (initially) but it will spread the word that the bitshares ecosystem is evolving and not just settling into one static, microsoft-like existence.  Think of it as cheap advertising...

When this market can support literally hundreds of forked chains with their own special attributes (like altcoins have), we will know we have made it to where we all want this to go...the moon.  Let's consider these forks as Wormholes that force us to ask "which moon? There are sooooo many!"
I agree completely fuzz.  I was merely pointing out that the worst case scenario isn't even necessarily a bad thing.  I think there is huge potential in embracing a multiple DAC/chain strategy (and the attraction of more developer talent to DAC technology this will bring).  I understand why BM might feel like he needs to focus his energies, but I see no reason why our community must do the same.  I personally plan to continue to support (whether financially or other) multiple future tech initiatives.

Offline ag

• View Profile
DNS can be on bitshares chain. the problem is in the future what happens? 1 blockchain can only support so much transactions eventually has to raise tx fees. BM proposed this is when a new specialized chains will out-compete bitshares.

SO anyways, if this eventually will happen, it's not bad to start a parallel chain now. put some consideration into how 2 chains with this service can and will eventually co-exist.

Now one crucial point, this chain must not print it's own dollar. don't want it to become a bank have that competition with bitshares. so we have to resolve this. we should realize a market pegged asset, is just a convenience not 100% necessary for dns functions.

but if we want:  make support for transactions with user issued tokens. to encourage bitUSD demand: have people (gateways) take bitUSD deposits on bitshares, then issue bitUSD IOU's on DNS. And correspondingly redeem/destroy those IOU's for bitUSD. have internal market for these IOU's against DNSshares of course. it's kind of cool, if you are a gateway, you earn interest on your deposits. probably we want people with registered name on bitshares, to have that name on DNS. gateway can run with your money at anytime, but for example btc38 would be an automatically trustworthy gateway and others.

Offline neo1344

• View Profile
Do we focus on BTS or NOT? Common guys !!!
Let's contribute all on bitshares, because if we divide to a couple of projects I am afraid  we will get the biggest joke in crypto-world after the "merge"!

go to Tradingview.com and try to discuss with pro traders and see with your own eye what they think about this joke,unpro dev can not decide what to do.full of idiots.

Offline fuzzy

Its a free country, if they want to make one they can. Good luck :)

The thread is quite interesting - you can easily pick out who have invested more in BTS or DNS. Except a handful few, most of the posts can be simplified to personal greediness (including the OP).

I actually think those who are being greedy (and thinking logically) are the ones happiest about the current expansion of our universe. Now we can diversify even further within our own ecosystem..
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 02:40:05 pm by fuzzy »

sumantso

Its a free country, if they want to make one they can. Good luck :)

The thread is quite interesting - you can easily pick out who have invested more in BTS or DNS. Except a handful few, most of the posts can be simplified to personal greediness (including the OP).

Offline fuzzy

Let's contribute all on bitshares, because if we divide to a couple of projects I am afraid  we will get the biggest joke in crypto-world after the "merge"!

This isn't bitcoin (oh wait...it is surviving quite well despite is thousands of altcoins! :P).  But even better...BTS actually has the ability to GAIN CONSENSUS on which features altchains provide that they would like to adopt.  The shareholders will decide which ones to integrate and which will not.  Bitcoin is inferior precisely because it cannot adapt like BitShares can.  I promise you BTS will not die from this and I certainly to not consider it a hostile takeover.  This is open source space guys and gals.  Whether you like it or not, unfortunately these are the realities we face. 

So what are our choices? 
1) Embrace change and open source
2) Seek out investments in more Centralized Control Structures (some good they have done us thus far!)
3) Support with our funds what we believe in and hold our funds from the projects we do not believe will make it.

This is open source.  There are amazing aspects to it and scary ones.  We either alienate ourselves as a community from those who want to innovate and either compete or be bought out (thus mutually assuring to NEVER be sharedropped on by developers) or we accept it as the name of the game and try to make something valuable from it. 

If anyone sees other choices, I am interested in hearing about them...but sincerely do not see any.  I for one will always invite this kind of thing however.  In fact, you might all be invited rather shortly (within the coming weeks) to a Dev Hangout for BitcoinerS and Alphabar so you can give your opinions and ask your questions there.  :)

Offline cube

• View Profile

The focus is on BTS.  Having more altcoins does not take the focus off BTC from the BTC users.  Instead, they make BTC the central crypto of all exchanges. Similarly Bitshare is  the centre of attention here.

The crypto world has made tremendous progress in the last few years due to innovations and the diversity of new ideas.  Bitshare is a good example. It would not exist if somebody restricted Dan from using his creativity and stopped his bitshare experiment.  And we would not be here sharing and exchanging ideas.

Let's embrace diversity and reject restrictions.  Let the bright and creative minds continue to innovate.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline graffenwalder

I support this initiative.  The worst that happens is that this spinoff of DNS DAC is out-competed by BTS.  If some innovation is created with this new DNS DAC and BTS copies it, then all the better.  I'd imagine many people will be invested in both anyway.

Thanks.

As I see it, the value proposition can go MUCH farther.  Imagine, for instance, that a talented group of developers decide to fork DNS to make a new chain with different innovations (or to make it more friendly to a certain jurisdiction).  Those Devs essentially snapshot current ownership in the forked chain with a large %, can give themselves a small stake or allot a small % for a crowd sale to gain funding to test their metal against other chains' devs.  Those who are successful have NOW MADE A NAME for themselves to the degree where if BTS doesn't pick them up, another SuperDAC will.  If not, the task of simply building on the DNS fork (or even PTS, VOTE...etc for that matter) will likely have made them capable of building their own SuperDAC to rival others. 

Think bigger guys and girls!  This is a potential Multi-Trillion Dollar Industry!  Imagine being sharedropped on 10 different DNS forks, holding them all for 10 years and 2-3 of them ending up reaching valuations of 1+ Billion Dollars, just to be bought out by a SuperDAC (or maybe even more than 1).  Then you have made off QUITE nicely.  If this game is played right and developers know that supporting the community with significant sharedrops is a viable means by which they can earn attention and work to attain legitimacy in the industry...we have essentially made a very positive feedback loop that also protects us with the power of a diversified marketplace while protecting from corruption and also potentially making original holders very wealthy.... 

People see this as bad but I think that is just fear and impatience talking. I see this as potentially one of the best things I could ever imagine.  Sure, it MIGHT take a very small portion of the BTS valuation (initially) but it will spread the word that the bitshares ecosystem is evolving and not just settling into one static, microsoft-like existence.  Think of it as cheap advertising...

When this market can support literally hundreds of forked chains with their own special attributes (like altcoins have), we will know we have made it to where we all want this to go...the moon.  Let's consider these forks as Wormholes that force us to ask "which moon? There are sooooo many!"

I like that.  The bigger the bitshare ecosystem, the more people will notice us.   +5%
Yes, maybe we should give Vote, DNS and BTS their own chains. ::)

But for real. The timing for this proposal is just off. If they were to have their own share no problem, but sharedropping on DNS is not a good idea.
We just settled on the merger sharedrop, even giving some DNS from the dev fund to make people whole. And if this were to go through, it would give a small incentive for selling BTSX and buying DNS, making the merger for simplification even more complicated.

Since DNS holders are made whole, I would suggest waiting until after the merger snapshot and just sharedrop on PTS/AGS/BTS in whatever combination you think is best.

Other than that go for it, and good luck.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:39:33 am by Graffenwalder »

Offline cube

• View Profile

Thanks.

I like that.  The bigger the bitshare ecosystem, the more people will notice us.   +5%